Lost signal - phantam 4 Pro LOST

If you buy the drone from Apple, some guy in DJI owners FB claimed that he just called the store, told his story, the store gave him full refund for his crashed drone.

Our Apple stores in Canada are still only selling the P3 or even P2... my wife bought it directly from DJI because it wasn't available in Canada.

Well for future reference getting an additional GPS tracker could be helpful. Best wishes bro.

Also one of my plans, as well as write name and number. And what's up with the white color, .... we Northen friends up here should add bright orange or something because of this snow ;)

Reactions: Quamera
Cozy Canuck, please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.
Do your eyes roll back in your head every time you read another 'lost my drone' thread? :confused:o_O:D;)

And I appreciate his help and every other comment on here!

Hey for the future too if you do get another drone, find someone who will insure it with "personal articles" for me I get it though State Farm for 60 bucks a year and it has a 0 deductible. It's full coverage, just no liability insurance.

I don't know how Canadian insurance works or if you have the same companies but look into it.

Thanks to insurance I can be a bit more worry free about my bird

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Cozy Canuck sorry for your loss. I hope you had your information on drone. My big fear is loosing my expensive ph4 drone so I am adding a gps tracker rfv16 to mine. Also have flown for months before I let it go out of my sight. + I downloaded manual & read it many times. + watched a ton of YouTube videos. Hindsight maybe you needed more experience flying. In any case ask DJI for a new one & send logs etc. good luck & sorry for your loss. I put an orange skin on my first drone

Sorry for you loss, I was wondering, were you not a little close to that airfield? Hope it did not drift there..
Hopefully you weren't taken out by an approaching Cessna.. :)

Cozy Canuck sorry for your loss. I hope you had your information on drone. My big fear is loosing my expensive ph4 drone so I am adding a gps tracker rfv16 to mine. Also have flown for months before I let it go out of my sight. + I downloaded manual & read it many times. + watched a ton of YouTube videos. Hindsight maybe you needed more experience flying. In any case ask DJI for a new one & send logs etc. good luck & sorry for your loss. I put an orange skin on my first drone

I agree here, I got my P4 in July and only flew it in September. I read and watched as much information I could get my hands on and flew in beginner mode for a month.
and I'm no newbie to RC flying, I've flown giant scale fixed wing planes for 25 years now..

I believe that DJI have made a great product, its biggest advantage is also its biggest disadvantage in that it simply is too easy to operate.

Reactions: The Ghost
Sorry for you loss, I was wondering, were you not a little close to that airfield? Hope it did not drift there..
Hopefully you weren't taken out by an approaching Cessna.. :)

It's a gliding club for gliders and only in use in the summer :)

I'm new to the forum but impressed with the camaraderie! I hope I never need help but really really appreciate such an awesome group!!!

Just like any other vehicle it brings people together.

Arctic cat riders get together
Harley riders get together
Jeep drivers get together
Vette owners get together
Drone pilots get together

We take our passion for our vehicles and use it to come together.

Here we all own Phantom series drones and we use that to come together

Ouch that does not look good.

To start, you have some kind of magnetic interference near your home point. From the looks of it I'd say it's the power lines. The problem here is that this will throw off your compass and possibly also affect your drone's flight behavior, and also possibly cause other issues. So you had at least two magnetic interference warnings. You also had a LOT of GPS warnings even though you had plenty of satellites. This means either a hardware issue or some kind of interference issue. As the owner's manual indicates, if there is a loss of GPS, the craft will go into "attitude mode" at which point you must completely manually control the drone as no return to home or other GPS-related functions will work. Your drone lost GPS completely at the 4 minute 55 second mark (after doing a bit of a toilet bowl spin, which tells me that your compass was probably affected by the previous interference). And it went into attitude mode. And because you simply hit return to home with no GPS your drone flew off to the east at an altitude of 237 feet. It likely just kept going that way until it ran out of battery and eventually landed or crashed somewhere.

I know there is not much comfort here, but you may want to try to submit a case to DJI and upload your logs to them. They MIGHT cover this under warranty due to the GPS issue, but it's hard to say since it was more user error than anything. :( But it's worth a try if you haven't started that process already.

Msinger will probably have more info for you, or correct anything if I am mistaken.
Hey,

I had the same issue with my Mavic last week, however though the only warning I had was strong WIFI interference??? but that is weird, since we are 6 kms away from the exchange and my internet speed is only fast enough to load my hotmail LOL. Also I don't live near power lines and I wasn't flying near/under bridges? My backyard is the national park.

My Mavic was spinning out of control even when I had strong GPS signal (17) I think it was, but it kept on spinning and drifting towards nearby houses. The only thing I can contral was the camera on the drone.

Anyways it's with the Camera store now so hopefully I can get refund on the drone.

Hello everyone,
It would be a sad day to have this kind of investment just vanish. Here are a couple of completely obvious ideas that many of us use but I did not see them mentioned.

I have added contact information on my Phantom using one of those labeling machines. I found one on Craig's List for US$10. It has phone number, email and offers an unstated reward. This, of course assumes that anyone ever finds it. In a forest or even in an urban area there are thousands of small nooks and crannies where it might never be seen again.

And of course the obvious argument against all this is you may not want to be identified even though by law in the US we must put a registration number on the aircraft. This one is a very individual decision since some damage might have occurred to property. Probably best for us all to pay the damage, recover at least maybe a battery if the bird is damaged itself.

Finally, the best solution for finding a really lost drone is with an attached GPS tracker. The beauty of these is they will take you to within feet of your lost a/c. And while your lost Phantom may not have had enough power to fly, there may be enough residual power left to run the communications electronics. Once you get close, you may be able to actually see what it is seeing and that plus the GPS is helpful. The GPS also has the beauty of being able to hide it in your teenagers car to see where they are are. And for you teenagers, hide it in dad's car to see what he's up to on those long lunch breaks.

Just ordered my P4P and found this thread very interesting although at the expense of a fellow Droner.. I'm now going to add a gps tracker to mine when it arrives, has anybody used the tracking device? i was wondering if it was worth the extra money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cozy Canuck
Just ordered my P4P and found this thread very interesting although at the expense of a fellow Droner.. I'm now going to add a gps tracker to mine when it arrives, has anybody used the tracking device? i was wondering if it was worth the extra money.

I really like the Marco Polo tracker from Eureka Products,

Pros:
Its a radio tracker, so it works anywhere and doesn't require cell plan.
The tracker stays quiet in standby mode, doesn't interfere with anything on board the aircraft.
Long battery life
Works pretty long range, up to 2 miles (250mw transmitter in 900mhz band)
Easy to use, works out of the box
Light weight, 12 grams

Cons:
Doesn't give you coordinates like a GPS tracker, you have to go hunt for it.
900 Mhz band is prohibited in Europe, maybe elsewhere, Good in US.

The remote unit gives you strength indicator and directional arrow, you can set it on top of your car dashboard, drive towards where you think your aircraft might be, start getting beeps, get as close as you can with your vehicle, than walk over to it. The remote has a directional antenna, this was useful in tracking it to the right tree top by angling it upwards, when I realized it wasn't on the ground.

I only have one tag, and swap it between aircraft, gives me peace of mind.

I really like the Marco Polo tracker from Eureka Products,

Pros:
Its a radio tracker, so it works anywhere and doesn't require cell plan.
The tracker stays quiet in standby mode, doesn't interfere with anything on board the aircraft.
Long battery life
Works pretty long range, up to 2 miles (250mw transmitter in 900mhz band)
Easy to use, works out of the box
Light weight, 12 grams

Cons:
Doesn't give you coordinates like a GPS tracker, you have to go hunt for it.
900 Mhz band is prohibited in Europe, maybe elsewhere, Good in US.

The remote unit gives you strength indicator and directional arrow, you can set it on top of your car dashboard, drive towards where you think your aircraft might be, start getting beeps, get as close as you can with your vehicle, than walk over to it. The remote has a directional antenna, this was useful in tracking it to the right tree top by angling it upwards, when I realized it wasn't on the ground.

I only have one tag, and swap it between aircraft, gives me peace of mind.

Thanks Milo, i'll have a look into it, agree with wanting some peace of mind....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl