Lost signal - phantam 4 Pro LOST

Hi:

...a spatial analyst here (retired). Has anyone got the x,y,z (z altitude) KML file handy
?

Question for the OP: have you got a GPS (integrated into your phone or stand alone) and, do you know how to load a KML track file into it?

Is the area where he thought it might've landed populated? Is there a chance someone found it?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Actually I should add that if it's in atti mode and it was dropping and drifting out it's got a high probability of being in a tree somewhere
Is there anyone else who could help you look with another drone. You would get to see over the tops of trees and areas you might not be able to see from the ground

Reactions: Fallguy
One thing to consider, P4 PRO returns home by the same path it went there.

Another thing, my new Pro had GPS issues and made a steep turn by itself. Other thing, I lost from 17 sats to 0 in middle flight and then had gps again.
Also gimble had problems.
I sent it to support and I'm receiveing a new one.

Check here, the FIRST left turn it wasn't me. The idea was going always in front. An then the image tilted.

P4 PRO returns home by the same path it went there
It won't follow the exact path back, but it does try to backtrack for about 30 seconds before making a bee-line back to the home point. That likely did not happen in this case though since the Phantom was flying in ATTI mode.

Lol
Never found it :(
Northern brother don't give up! Organize a search party with as many friends as you can and offer a reward. Print out the satellite image and grid the whole thing. Color coordinate sections and appoint each section to two to three peeps then have at it!

The flight log shows the flight started at 9:18 AM on December 27th.

Where are you located in Canada Cozy? Maybe we could organize a search party with your Canadian friends. Would be a good way to meet and do a little hiking, make it a party. I've got the next week off work and I'm bored, just sayin.... I'm in Windsor and getting cabin fever and always looking for something to do this time of year.

Tkx M Singer. Perfect. I have the closest meteo data for that precise time -7 minutes, at ground speed (data logger is ~ 15 kilometers away).

Assumption: the aircraft was continuing on the last flight trajectory at ~17.6 miles per hour for appx 3 minutes.

Do you think my assumptions are correct? If not, what assumptions would you make for air speed and time before forced landing?

....I'm going to calculate the WCA and DRA when I get M Singer's nod on my assumption(s)...or his corrections...

When the remote controller signal is lost while flying in ATTI mode (what seems to be the case here), the Phantom will start auto landing 3 seconds after the remote controller signal is lost. Unfortunately, we can only assume which way the wind was blowing the Phantom and how fast it was pushing it along. My projected landing area above assumes those stats stayed the same from the time the remote controller disconnected at the end of the flight

...OK. Got it. I have the MET data unknowns for that flight time and locale (15 kilometer radius). I will create a GPX file for the OP that he can load into his GPS....that path can be walked. I'd prefer to send that GPS path directly to the OP...what do you think?

Q for M Singer: when the P4P is flying either a set flight plan, or a pilot-driven flight (ie. joystick induced flight), does the P4P have in-built crab-angle/WCA correcting?? Also (from your experience) when the P4P's auto-landing sequence kicked in ( appx 3 seconds after GPS signal is lost), I wonder if the P4P's crab-angle/WCA algorithm would have significantly impeded the drifting ? ....because, my calculations place the "auto-landing" just about 26~27 meters from the last waypoint in that Phantom Log Viewer (given the meteorological data I have for that flight time and place).

The Phantom is quite light in color, and if there was snow on the ground (highly likely in that area at that time) and a few small dips and even some dead hay/corn stocks sticking up, it could easily be missed-- even if one was 20 feet from it. I suggest that the OP load the KML file from the Phantom Log viewer into his GPS, walk to that last waypoint/trackpoint locale, and bring a plastic garden rake to gently score the snow (in an ever increasing search radius guided by the rake marks, out to about 30 meters circle) for the lost phantom.

Last edited:
I will create a GPX file for the OP that he can load into his GPS....that path can be walked
Your path likely won't be accurate since there's no telling what happened after the remote controller disconnected. We can only make educated assumptions.

Ok so I spent 7 hrs searching the area with another guy and with no such luck. Should I even consider making a case with DJI. Is there a possibility you would know what I should say to p,ead my claim that this shouldnt have happened with 18 satellites. :(

My wife spent over $2000 on this since we live in Canada and with our poor exchange rate...I would hate to see this be gone for good.

If you're saying you lost GPS signal and not just remote controller signal, then the drone would've lost the capability to return home automatically. It likely switched to vision mode to try to maintain a hover, but if the drone was higher than 30 feet, the vision system can't function and the drone was subject to the wind. If no GPS signal is true, I think your drone maintained altitude and drifted until its battery reached the critical percentage and triggered auto-land. I would recommend studying your flight log for the last known altitude, battery level and, if possible, wind speed and direction. If you collect enough data you could find other possible places it landed. You could also post your flight log here and someone may take a look at it. Lots of intelligent and helpful people on the forum! Wishing you the best!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Just out of curiosity with the drone registration system do we have to report lost or crashed drone incidents?

...OK, the XWC (cross-wind component) on that day and time for all the flight parameters is +6 knots; the HWC (head wind component) on that day and time was -10 knots; the crab-angle was +022deg; and finally, the DRA (drift angle component) on that day and time was -013deg...

....so, IF the auto-landing after GPS signal loss was engaged by the P4P (at 3 seconds) and the TAS (true air speed) was 17.6 MPH ( 7.8 meters per second with a negative HWC and slight positive XWC, of course), that bird didn't go very far from last PL Viewer log record: 5m 55.8s.

It can be very hard to spot from the ground if its high up in a tree. I had a quadcopter that came down like a slow crash due to a lipo that had a bad cell, into a very dense area.

I had a Marco Polo tracker, and got to where it was leading me, but couldn't find it, I started pointing the base unit up, and since its directional, I could see it was above me, right at the tree I was standing at, I couldn't see it until I climbed the tree a little.

Maybe you can find someone to search from the air too.

Highly recommend the Marco Polo, for me a GPS/Cell tracker wouldn't work due to flying places with no cell coverage.

Good Luck

Im subbing to this to see the conclusion. I too want to see where the phantom lies, hopefully it can be found

Hopefully another Canadian pilot can search the treetops for you because I have a feeling it's in the projected area but it's in a hard to see spot

The only sad thing is all the snow hindering rescue efforts

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl