Looking for advice on how to improve video quality P3A

ody

Reaction score
(first post, so be a bit gentile on me) :)

Looking for some advice on what I might be doing wrong in the videos linked below?

http://www.2thec.com/temp

This is going to be a bit wordy, but hoping someone in the know can spend a couple min and offer some advice.

I’m new to the Phantom game. Have a P3A and took it south to play/learn.

Very long story-short, but camera gimbal was damaged in checked luggage while on route to the island. (gimbal motor separated, was not fixable) Purchased another 1080 camera/gimbal and installed. Apparently I bought someone else's problem. The new gimbal would studder/shake when it was trying to level. I had no choice but to use what I had, and this was the best I could get. (aka lots of jellow/shaking in these videos)

I have since combined both the broken camera and replacement camera/gimbal, and have what I think is back to a perfect camera/gimbal.

I’m looking for criticism on what else I can do to improve the quality of these videos.

Seems like really messed up exposure, lots of jerky video, and just not the detail I was expecting from a HD camera. Am I expecting too much, or just don't know what I'm doing?

I’m tempted to buy yet another camera/gimbal and go 4K this time, but there are 2 things holding me back.

HD 1920x1080 should look fantastic as it is. (I don’t have anything to play 4k content on anyway.)

And I’m using Wondershare Filmora to edit down the clips, and so far it does not support 4k video.

I did not have any filters at the time.

I’ve since purchased the 3 pak of polar pro filters. UV, ND4, ND8

Will of course try those to slow the shutter down and see if that helps.

I’ve also purchased a prop balancer to check props, and the original props that I’m still running seem to be pretty true.

I’m new to doing video, but I would have thought with a HD camera these videos would be very very clear/sharp.

Oh, the posted videos are produced at 720p. I've also output 1080p, and they are really not much different.

Really appreciate any criticism / suggestions anybody can offer.

Some videos are better than others, so you might have to compare / sample several.

Last edited:
You know you can adjust the exposure with the right thumbwheel right? White sand and sun make a tough backdrop.. The video quality actually looks pretty good to me, However, the jerky motion is def not normal. My P3A vids have non of that. Either your gimbal is still not right or something else is going on. Are you using a high speed sd card? Looks like it was a great vacation anyhow!

(first post, so be a bit gentile on me) :)

Looking for some advice on what I might be doing wrong in the videos linked below?

This is going to be a bit wordy, but hoping someone in the know can spend a couple min and offer some advice.

I’m new to the Phantom game. Have a P3A and took it south to play/learn.

Very long story-short, but camera gimbal was damaged in checked luggage while on route to the island. (gimbal motor separated, was not fixable) Purchased another 1080 camera/gimbal and installed. Apparently I bought someone else's problem. The new gimbal would studder/shake when it was trying to level. I had no choice but to use what I had, and this was the best I could get. (aka lots of jellow/shaking in these videos)

I have since combined both the broken camera and replacement camera/gimbal, and have what I think is back to a perfect camera/gimbal.

I’m looking for criticism on what else I can do to improve the quality of these videos.

Seems like really messed up exposure, lots of jerky video, and just not the detail I was expecting from a HD camera. Am I expecting too much, or just don't know what I'm doing?

I’m tempted to buy yet another camera/gimbal and go 4K this time, but there are 2 things holding me back.

HD 1920x1080 should look fantastic as it is. (I don’t have anything to play 4k content on anyway.)

And I’m using Wondershare Filmora to edit down the clips, and so far it does not support 4k video.

I did not have any filters at the time.

I’ve since purchased the 3 pak of polar pro filters. UV, ND4, ND8

Will of course try those to slow the shutter down and see if that helps.

I’ve also purchased a prop balancer to check props, and the original props that I’m still running seem to be pretty true.

I’m new to doing video, but I would have thought with a HD camera these videos would be very very clear/sharp.

Oh, the posted videos are produced at 720p. I've also output 1080p, and they are really not much different.

Really appreciate any criticism / suggestions anybody can offer.

Some videos are better than others, so you might have to compare / sample several.
Ok let's start from the beginning.

Watched the first video---
1. When you replace the gimbal mount -- did you get those 4 white rubber grommets back in where the camera gimbal moves freely.
2. Did you put the two plastic safety pins back in diagonal opposite holes. There should be only two--- if you put four, one in each corner remove two.
3. Did you perform a complete IMU Calibration followed by a gimbal calibration.
4. Was this video recorded with an ND filter or without an ND Filter?
5. Can you post a video of your Phantom booted up and camera running on the bench with the props off and motors running and input on the sticks?

With these answers and the video, I and others on the forum can try to help get this sorted out. Cheers

Acbrian1:
Yes, I did use the exposure control (to some extent)
Was difficult to see detail on the iPad in the bright sun.
Have purchased a couple sun shades for both sizes of iPads I use with it.
Hoping to be able to see more of what I'm getting next time.

I've also seen that I can show when the exposure is completely blown out.
Will try to watch for that next time too.
Some of the sand in the videos is way over exposed. No detail at all.

And yes, all the videos there are with a defective gimbal. I was not able to fix the gimbal till I got home. So maybe I was not clear in my original post. I think I have the shakes / jellow / jerky motion resolved.

Just shooting for proper exposure and clarity I guess.

I have also been watching some of the tutorials on camera settings that have been posted here. Will try some of the settings that have been suggested as well.

I'm back to the island in a couple weeks, so just trying to get a plan together for perfection next time. :)

Ok let's start from the beginning.

Watched the first video---
1. When you replace the gimbal mount -- did you get those 4 white rubber grommets back in where the camera gimbal moves freely.
2. Did you put the two plastic safety pins back in diagonal opposite holes. There should be only two--- if you put four, one in each corner remove two.
3. Did you perform a complete IMU Calibration followed by a gimbal calibration.
4. Was this video recorded with an ND filter or without an ND Filter?
5. Can you post a video of your Phantom booted up and camera running on the bench with the props off and motors running and input on the sticks?

With these answers and the video, I and others on the forum can try to help get this sorted out. Cheers

Hi Bob:
Thx for the reply.

1. Yes have 4 grommets, and camera hanges freely.
2. Yes have 2 diagonal safety pins.
3. Yes to an IMU calibration and gimbal calibrate
4 No ND filter. But I have purchased since being at home and will take with me
again in 2 weeks when I return. Have UV, ND4, ND8 to experiment with.
5. I'll have to get a video of the P3A tomorrow. (house is asleep now, so I should not make any noise at this point.

I did just say in another reply... I think I have the camera/gimbal/balance thing all worked out.
It was a defective gimbal I was working with, but it was my only option while away. I was at least happy to have something to work with. I'm not so worried about that part now.

I'm more focused on the actual quality of the video at this point.
I think I need to focus on the exposure. Experiment with the filters. And probably all the other camera settings

Oh, question for you, (or anybody else)
After I get the exposure / detail to something good...
Like I said, I'm using Wondershare Filmora to stitch together clips, and add music,
Should I be expecting to have to do some color correction on these files?
Or should the filters be getting me closer to something that is pleasing?

Is Filmora sufficient for doing color correction (if that is necessary)?
Else suggestions?

Hi Bob:
Thx for the reply.

1. Yes have 4 grommets, and camera hanges freely.
2. Yes have 2 diagonal safety pins.
3. Yes to an IMU calibration and gimbal calibrate
4 No ND filter. But I have purchased since being at home and will take with me
again in 2 weeks when I return. Have UV, ND4, ND8 to experiment with.
5. I'll have to get a video of the P3A tomorrow. (house is asleep now, so I should not make any noise at this point.

I did just say in another reply... I think I have the camera/gimbal/balance thing all worked out.
It was a defective gimbal I was working with, but it was my only option while away. I was at least happy to have something to work with. I'm not so worried about that part now.

I'm more focused on the actual quality of the video at this point.
I think I need to focus on the exposure. Experiment with the filters. And probably all the other camera settings

Oh, question for you, (or anybody else)
After I get the exposure / detail to something good...
Like I said, I'm using Wondershare Filmora to stitch together clips, and add music,
Should I be expecting to have to do some color correction on these files?
Or should the filters be getting me closer to something that is pleasing?

Is Filmora sufficient for doing color correction (if that is necessary)?
Else suggestions?
Great if you have it working smoothly! -- Using the ND filters in bright sunlight-- will get rid of any jello cause by shutter speed-- I have been using the auto color correct in Cyberlink-- Power Director and that does the trick. I have a P3P -- the 4kvideo has been great but I edit it back to 1080.

Added a short video of the P3A sitting on a table, no props
Power on...
Gimbal level
Then power up
Then power down.
Looks pretty stable to me.

I'm hoping this is what you were looking for, and not the video FROM the P3A

Sample DJI

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics