Long range flights and altitudes

Re: Long range flights and altitudes

ToThePoint said:
Were to begin ?

To get more range on your setup the following points of interest CAN be concidered.

On the RC:

1) Get a difference in LHCP and RHCP between the 2.4 and 5.8Ghz stuff.
That would implement that on the RC one helical has to be changed.
I suggest to change the 5.8Ghz to RHCP on the RC due to a reason that i explain later.

The birds mods makes my eyebrows roll :roll:

1) The antennae for the 2.4Ghz wifi are mounted on 45* angle compared to the bird. Why are the mounted approx 45* ?
They have to be on a 180 and 90* angle ( the same way the 5.8Ghz are mounted is 180*).
The way they are mounted now leaves a blank space in the middle ( according to radiation pattern ).
The long extended cable to feed them gives way to much loss. There are better shorter ways to mount them but it will work like this.

2) The splice is hidden but what i can see is totally not done the way it seems to be.
The splice itself will act like a antenna by the exposed inner wire thus blocking and interfering any 5.8Ghz.
The use of some 5 connectors to connect it ? To many losses ! Why didn't you dismantle the first connector after the splice and soldered that to the coax coming out of the bird directly so you don't have to use that many connectors and have a shorter cleaner setup ?

When you are @ this just make the 5.8Ghz also RHCP
Also mount one on a 90* angle and on the sides and one like it is now but placed on the side.
If they are in the front and back the camera will block the line of sight when doing a long range attempt.
If you fly on a short distance it will not affect any frequency because you pack a power punch that makes sure you don't lose connection when the bird faces you sideways on short distances.
I did a 180* 2.4Ghz LHCP antenna on one side and the 5.8Ghz RHCP mounted on the same side but 90* and on the other side changed the setup to 90* on 2.4 and 180* for 5.8.

Thats what i would change on your setup to get more range. But its all your choice.

Thanks a lot for all the info bro I am going to start working on things step by step and see the difference really appreciate it

saao said:
Hey guys need some expert advice what role does altitude play in long range flights any examples I have seen lots of videos on YouTube and 500 feet altitude is standard for a flight which has a minimum distance of 8000 feet then u increase both
Hi.
I have the same extreme setup as yours for the rc but I haven't got the amp on the wifi yet and no mods on my bird yet.
I'm losing control signal at 2500ft out at 300ft altitude. Weather conditions were slightly foggy and 6 degrees.
My questions are
Do I need to be higher up
How should the arials be pointed at my bird
Would the weather conditions effect my range
Using the 5.8 amp do I need to turn off fcc mode
Thanks in advance
Any advice would be great on getting more range

Phanton v2+ newbie said:
saao said:
Hey guys need some expert advice what role does altitude play in long range flights any examples I have seen lots of videos on YouTube and 500 feet altitude is standard for a flight which has a minimum distance of 8000 feet then u increase both
Hi.
I have the same extreme setup as yours for the rc but I haven't got the amp on the wifi yet and no mods on my bird yet.
I'm losing control signal at 2500ft out at 300ft altitude. Weather conditions were slightly foggy and 6 degrees.
My questions are
Do I need to be higher up

The higher u are the better chance for a connection as distance increases

How should the arials be pointed at my bird
Look into the app you'll now the orientation and make sure where your bird is going and point it on it
Would the weather conditions effect my range

Could be at times they do not every day your get the same range
Using the 5.8 amp do I need to turn off fcc mode

Rc would be better
Thanks in advance
Any advice would be great on getting more range

Well I was getting around 7000 feet when I used just the pilot side now I have mid the bird I easily get 14000 plus. As for what your saying I believe u need to check connections on the rc

Hi saao
Thanks for your reply
I have just ordered from horizon the full drone upgrade kit which will be here tomorrow. So I will be doing that over the next few days which they say will take the range out a lot more fingers crossed
Thanks

I have just finished installing the full uav mod on my phantom so looking forward to getting it out for a longer range flight as soon as the weather improves here

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl