Performance Issues

Reaction score
Between yesterday and today, I took my 18th and 19th flights and have just over 2 hours of air time. Without question, I consider myself an inexperienced pilot and have stayed below 400 feet in altitude and within a maximum distance from home point around 500 feet.

My flight yesterday was pretty much in the middle of nowhere with the only interference in eyeshot being a standard metal link fence. Today's flight was in an area I've flown a few times before without issue.

During both flights, the bird's performance was very unpredictable and often just didn't feel right. The bird was flipping into ATTI mode during both flights and was pretty much uncontrollable today. I was able to get it landed but was on uneven ground and the bird flipped over gently with no damage done. Before this incident, I hadn't had any crashes or even bumps.

I realize that I need to get many more in hours in the air to feel more comfortable, but my perspective at this point is that the P3S seems to be incredibly sensitive to interference and even inconsistent from one flight to the next. That inconsistency makes it very difficult to get used to the bird.

After today's flight and roll over, I wonder if my decision to not upgrade the firmware is causing any of these issues. I'm still running version 1.7.90 given the issues I've heard and read about with the upgrade.

Any thoughts or advice?

the bird's performance was very unpredictable and often just didn't feel right. The bird was flipping into ATTI mode during both flights and was pretty much uncontrollable today.
One area I'd be suspicious of is the compass - when and where it was calibrated?
But there are lots of possible causes and without seeing actual flight data, one can only guess.
The Phantom has a flight data recorder than means you can see exactly what happened and often find explanations.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
I was able to get it landed but was on uneven ground and the bird flipped over gently with no damage done
Are you using the left stick down method to kill the motors on landing?
This is much less likely to tip the Phantom than using CSC.
After today's flight and roll over, I wonder if my decision to not upgrade the firmware is causing any of these issues. I'm still running version 1.7.90 given the issues I've heard and read about with the upgrade.
On the forum firmware gets blamed for everything but it's rarely the cause.
Show us the flight data and we might find the explanation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan