Litchi waypoint missions ends prematurely

Reaction score
I am flying a phantom 4 pro with latest updates using Litchi app - also recently updating. Today, I was flying a mission (that I have flown previously with success) and on three attempts the mission ended prematurely. I was 250 ft. AGL, not in any restricted zone and about 100 feet away from drone with good GPS.

I searched this thread and found that having "smart return to home" activated could cause this issue. I deactivated in DJI Go and did a test flight (300 ft AGL and drone very close to controller). I had the same issue. I then turned off "safe return to home" in the Litchi app settings on my iPad. This time around, the drone completed the mission successfully.

Can anyone tell me what I am giving up by deactivating "smart return to home"? I am a real estate photographer and never fly over 400 ft AGL, always use full batteries and keep the aircraft in my LOS. Under those rather benign operating conditions, is it advisable to fly without "smart return to home"?

Thanks

I think the smart return feature is quite conservative, which is a good thing, you will find many videos of people cancelling smart return, because they know better.
I have never had it activate, because I fly close to home and usually land with 30%+ battery.
From what you describe as your benign operating conditions, I would turn it off, as it appears to cause you more harm, than benefit. Just watch the bar on the DJI app , and battery %, and work with that. The smart return does not know the wind speed so beware if you rely on it.

Thanks. I'm now not 100% sure this is what is causing my Litchi waypoint missions to end prematurely. I just did another test flight of a waypoint mission and one worked, one didn't. Difficult to diagnose! Regardless, good to know that I can probably turn off smart return without issues. I'll watch battery and winds as suggested.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez