Litchi/AutoPilot Apps void your warranty

Should this be legal?

• Total voters
OOOOO...you said the F word....You're in trouble now....

Yes. BIG trouble. :mad:

Everyone settle down. Keep it polite. Profanity is not allowed. Being an [expletive removed] is not allowed. Repeat offenders will be beaten. @Squirrel!, I am talking about you.

Anyone that doesn't agree with your interpretation warranty law is an *** clown and/or a troll?
No. It doesn't work that way. A troll is one that continues on, stating how everyone but themselves is "wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong". Then the troll states how I am "misunderstanding everything" but when I say he is right and I am wrong I get "now you are misunderstanding another thing". Then the troll goes on and states that I am "not much of a man". Then the troll goes on to state "It's far from over". Then the troll reports who they can't convince that something wrong is right, so they "report" them hoping for "an eviction shortly".

Pure troll material, and actually epitomizes the definition of 'troll'.

I hope this answered your question.

Oh, and to set the record straight...the *** clown IS the troll.

Yes. BIG trouble. :mad:

Everyone settle down. Keep it polite. Profanity is not allowed. Being an [expletive removed] is not allowed. Repeat offenders will be beaten. @Squirrel!, I am talking about you.
Yes dad... :oops:

Another thread cleaned. Moderators have been instructed to remind people to be respectful to each other. If you see a problem, do not retaliate, smash that report button and let the mod team take care of it. Can't we just get along?

We'll try this one more time before it gets closed forever.

banhammer-time-banhammer-number-demotivational-poster-1269740702.jpg

LuvMyTJ, with all due respect, along with the personal insults, you've also deleted much of the relevant content in this thread while leaving behind much of the misinformation.

It would have been better to leave it intact and just close it.

LuvMyTJ, with all due respect, along with the personal insults, you've also deleted much of the relevant content in this thread while leaving behind much of the misinformation.

It would have been better to leave it intact and just close it.
While I would like to have the time to cherry pick the sentences that mattered it is unrealistic. Feel free to post good information in a proper post and it will stay here forever. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
DJI cannot arbitrarily and at random add exclusions to a warranty that was in place at the time of purchase.

DJI cannot, in the US, deny a warranty claim based on third party/aftermarket anything, unless they can show that said third-party/aftermarket item was the cause of the failure.

This is not speculation; it's simply the law.

That being established, for DJI to try to deny a warranty claim because because the customer was using a third-party app that was not only encouraged by DJI, but built on the SDK that DJI provided the vendor at the time of the failure is relevant to everyone that owns a DJI product of any sort.

blade strike, it looks like you are close to DJI
do you have some (official at best) information from DJI, if their attitude is really such as "using 3rd party apps voids warranty"?
or it's really some misunderstanding and misinterpretation and the only problem is, that without bird's DAT logs (it's in the lake) and without DJI GO's TXT logs (Litchi was used) they can't say for sure what caused the crash?

I haven't been following this thread, but i had a crash in April while flying way points in Litchi. I sent it in and DJI repaired it 100% under warranty. All of my logs clearly showed Litchi and they totally repaired via warranty. This sets precedent .. I'd be happy to share this information with whomever may need it to bolster your case with DJI.

Reactions: mikesmiley
blade strike, it looks like you are close to DJI
do you have some (official at best) information from DJI, if their attitude is really such as "using 3rd party apps voids warranty"?
or it's really some misunderstanding and misinterpretation and the only problem is, that without bird's DAT logs (it's in the lake) and without DJI GO's TXT logs (Litchi was used) they can't say for sure what caused the crash?

3rd part apps do not void warranty unless logs show bad commands caused by the app or poor mobile device GPS.

If there is not device and the 3rd party app does not record logs then how can we warranty the AC? People could just say the craft went down and we would be handing over free Phantoms to everyone.

Last edited:
Has this been resolved with them yet?

I'm concerned about DJI's customer service. I could see them denying it if the app was the cause of the crash. I hope they think better of this and realize that if they have these sorts of practices it will drive customers to other brands, particularly when we are on the cusp of a massive drone industry growth.

I highly recommend that you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and your state Attorneys General. I've had very good results with previous issues I've had with companies not honoring a warranty and even devices failing when just out of warranty and I've had them replaced by filing complaints. First, the BBB is great in that DJI will not want a negative mark on their public record. It looks like they have had plenty of complaints that they have chosen to resolve to the point that the person who filed them closed the complaint. Second, your AG is there to protect consumers in your state. They will get involved at times and send a letter to the business. If enough consumers complain about a company, they will even file lawsuits against the company on the behalf of it's residents. Companies resolve these complaints because they don't want their name on the AG's list of companies to watch, should more complaints come in.

From reading the complaints, the company does seem to have some issues with providing good, timely, warranty support. I love my Phantom and hope I never have to deal with them. I was actually looking at the OSMO but I have to say that it makes me reconsider when a company doesn't stand behind their products.

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved. I'd be interested to know how it turns out.

It took DJI 22 days of asking questions and reading my flight logs before they told me that a battery failure which caused my crash was not under warranty because I used a 3rd party app. I advised them in the beginning that I used Litchi. But how can an App cause a cell to go bad?

Reactions: Digdat0
3rd part apps do not void warranty unless logs show bad commands caused by the app or poor mobile device GPS.

If there is not device and the 3rd party app does not record logs then how can we warranty the AC? People could just say the craft went down and we would be handing over free Phantoms to everyone.

The SDK cannot force the app to write logs in your chosen format? Seems like a rigged game.

Fix the SDK, or make it abundantly clear to your customers at the time of purchase that they're screwed if something goes wrong using an app whose development you facilitated and encouraged.

Please?

I love these types of posts. "I'd tell DJI you're gonna file a lawsuit!" "You should speak with an attorney!"

But this one takes the cake:
I highly recommend that you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and your state Attorneys General.

Yeah I'm sure the AG's office will spring into action here. Please record how that phone call goes. I'd love to hear how hard they laugh. Gimme a break.

Also, If you think DJI cares about a BBB rating you're out of your mind. Quite frankly, the BBB is a complete joke in itself. Do some research on them.

DJI sucks and everyone who buys their products knows (or should know) if/when their product fails, you're on your own for the most part. This is a well known fact. Has been for years.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: hot dog
I would suggest reading all of the legal info regarding he warranty. Im pretty sure they are not idiots and put something in there regarding third party software and parts.

To all who think this should be covered.
Imagine you manufactured these but were encouraging development through the SDK.
Wouldn't you want to protect yourself. I mean anyone can make a P3/P4 compatible app with the SDK. How on earth could a company warranty random people making software with the SDK. IF you want to point the finger point it at the third party app. 99.99% of companies (including vehicles) will deny warranty if there needs to be a repair and the cause of the repair is because of a third party thing. Its kind of common sense.

This thread is going no where at this point. :(

The SDK cannot force the app to write logs in your chosen format? Seems like a rigged game.

Fix the SDK, or make it abundantly clear to your customers at the time of purchase that they're screwed if something goes wrong using an app whose development you facilitated and encouraged.

Please?

We cant force app developers to write logs. We still have the internal logs of the craft though. That's why we have still covered craft that have used apps that don't log. As longs as the craft is recoverable we can get the craft logs which are better than any mobile log to determine if it was hardware failure or not.

We cant force app developers to write logs. We still have the internal logs of the craft though. That's why we have still covered craft that have used apps that don't log. As longs as the craft is recoverable we can get the craft logs which are better than any mobile log to determine if it was hardware failure or not.
Yes you can. It's Dji's sdk, you make it standardized and automatic. If the logs Dji go creates are sufficient for warranty when the aircraft are lost, you could get the same from a 3rd party app if they logged the same. It's the same hardware, right? Most software companies have min standards of what the app should be doing and Dji could do it if they really wanted.

Yes you can. It's Dji's sdk, you make it standardized and automatic. If the logs Dji go creates are sufficient for warranty when the aircraft are lost, you could get the same from a 3rd party app if they logged the same. It's the same hardware, right? Most software companies have min standards of what the app should be doing and Dji could do it if they really wanted.

Not always do the mobile craft logs provide enough data. This is why the craft logs are required for most if not all warranty claims.

Not always do the mobile craft logs provide enough data. This is why the craft logs are required for most if not all warranty claims.
Thats completely fair and reasonable :) What Im saying though, is that there have been plenty of examples of a crash or fly-away where the user was using DJI go. They were able to upload those logs to the DJI servers, and the investigation enabled replacement for free via warranty based on those logs. Seems like a double standard for 3rd party apps; IF the 3rd party apps required logging in the same manner as DJI go app, than, in theory, that data should also be sufficient to indicate if the issue is unwarrantable or not. Just my opinion :)

Thats completely fair and reasonable :) What Im saying though, is that there have been plenty of examples of a crash or fly-away where the user was using DJI go. They were able to upload those logs to the DJI servers, and the investigation enabled replacement for free via warranty based on those logs. Seems like a double standard for 3rd party apps; IF the 3rd party apps required logging in the same manner as DJI go app, than, in theory, that data should also be sufficient to indicate if the issue is unwarrantable or not. Just my opinion :)

Poin taken and will forward to the sdk team

I love these types of posts. "I'd tell DJI you're gonna file a lawsuit!" "You should speak with an attorney!"

But this one takes the cake:

Yeah I'm sure the AG's office will spring into action here. Please record how that phone call goes. I'd love to hear how hard they laugh. Gimme a break.

Also, If you think DJI cares about a BBB rating you're out of your mind. Quite frankly, the BBB is a complete joke in itself. Do some research on them.

DJI sucks and everyone who buys their products knows (or should know) if/when their product fails, you're on your own for the most part. This is a well known fact. Has been for years.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Personally, I have had good luck with the AG. You file online. Their offices automatically notify the company of the complaint.

Also, since DJI has apparently resolved almost 100 complaints filed with the BBB to the point the complaint was dropped, they apparently care enough to work with people who have made these complains.

I'm trying to offer help, you're offering nothing but naysaying. You bring no worth to this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka