Litchi/AutoPilot Apps void your warranty

Should this be legal?

• Total voters
What app were you using at the time of the crash? I didn't realize there is a difference in the logs. But DJI does and they certainly need to be clear on that. This issue is costing me money in lost jobs and I would have prepared and charged differently if I had known DJI was not a reputable company.

I was using the go app.

Reactions: Guardmy6
LOL, no it won't, as much as you'd like for it to happen. The issue isn't Litchi...Had you crashed while using Ultimate Flight, the warranty would still be void.

I don't find it offensive nor concerning that DJI will not warranty a crash when it occurred while using a 3rd party app. Basically it is a 'fly at your own risk' sort of thing. Have you actually read all the releases you had to 'agree' to in order to begin using the app(s)/Phantom? Be honest, no you didn't. I didn't either and no one does because regardless of what it says, we figure we'll deal with it if needed. Guess what? It is needed. Go read Litchi terms of service and DJI terms of service. If you can prove you were within both, I'd say you have a helluva good case. But have just one thing in the, as you like to term, "grey area", and you haven't a pot to piss in. Likely don't have one anyway, but please, continue with the rants. It does a soul good to get it off your chest.
First, let me be clear in case I came across the wrong way. I have no ill will towards the Litchi guys. I think they have a great product. I would not want them to lose business because of my misfortune.

I have read all of the DJI warranty and it has areas that imply that you need do everything they say to do or else. They do not say you can not use a 3rd party app and US federal law, states that a warranty is not allowed to be invalidated based on a 3rd party part. It does not matter if DJI implies or flat out says it. They legally can't do it. There are exceptions but they don't apply here, so I won't bore you with the details.

While I understand you have an ax to grind with DJI, they are still and will be the 'go to' company for this sort of thing. There are more companies out there, but DJI has the edge with brand recognition. That doesn't just evaporate because of a handful of bad experiences with customers, vs. the mass numbers of drones out in the field with quite satisfied owners, me being one of them.

Remember that company called Blockbuster... who _dominated_ video and game rentals? Where are they now? Remember Polaroid, Circuit City, General Foods, RCA and Compaq? You only dominate the market as long as you make a better product that people want. If you think a company will dominate the market tomorrow simply because they dominate the market today.. well... you may want to apply at DJI as this seems to be their mindset. It was the mindset of all the companies I listed above as well.

Remember that company called Blockbuster... who _dominated_ video and game rentals? Where are they now? Remember Polaroid, Circuit City, General Foods, RCA and Compaq? You only dominate the market as long as you make a better product that people want. If you think a company will dominate the market tomorrow simply because they dominate the market today.. well... you may want to apply at DJI as this seems to be their mindset. It was the mindset of all the companies I listed above as well.
Awesome statement and sooo spot on...

Awesome statement and sooo spot on...
If his analogy were correct. Like with General Foods. They still are market leaders, just a different name: Kraft General Foods. Circuit City wanted to be the market leader but never were. That title has always belonged to Best Buy. RCA was a leader in the 40's and 50's but have been out of the game so long, I'm surprised you used their name. Compaq was nothing more than a clone...they led the cheap market and their computers failed at a substantially higher rate than the true 'leader'.

So what's the point? The point is that I never said nor implied that who was king today might not be tomorrow. Look at Britain's PM as an example. The DJI mindset is one of innovation and continuing support. Then people come in and say "hey, I was using your product with an app you did not design to go with it and I crashed. I want you to take care of the problem and fix it for free".

Let me try to explain this another way that maybe you'll all understand better:

Guardmy6 is bitching that DJI has screwed him because he was using a 3rd party app. All of a sudden people come out from the woodwork to crucify DJI. Everyone agrees DJI is at fault for the crash, even though the entire scenario was being controlled by an app not of their (DJI) design.

Why did you buy the Litchi app? So you could make the P3 do things the DJI GO app doesn't have/support. So, in essence, you are having the P3 do what it wasn't designed to do, regardless of an app that attempts to circumvent what was designed into the machine and original (DJI GO) app.

You pushed the machine beyond it's design limits and now you want DJI to pay for your f-up. You used the P3 inconsistent with the design parameters, regardless of what anyone else claims they do, YOU are the one at fault for using the P3 NOT as it was intended when it was sold to you.

I hope that clarifies things for the members here, because I sure can't explain it any more clearly. Use 3rd party apps/products at your own risk. Plain and simple and really...is common sense.

Drone on...oh wait...sorry. o_O

If his analogy were correct. Like with General Foods. They still are market leaders, just a different name: Kraft General Foods. Circuit City wanted to be the market leader but never were. That title has always belonged to Best Buy. RCA was a leader in the 40's and 50's but have been out of the game so long, I'm surprised you used their name. Compaq was nothing more than a clone...they led the cheap market and their computers failed at a substantially higher rate than the true 'leader'.

So what's the point? The point is that I never said nor implied that who was king today might not be tomorrow. Look at Britain's PM as an example. The DJI mindset is one of innovation and continuing support. Then people come in and say "hey, I was using your product with an app you did not design to go with it and I crashed. I want you to take care of the problem and fix it for free".

Let me try to explain this another way that maybe you'll all understand better:

Guardmy6 is bitching that DJI has screwed him because he was using a 3rd party app. All of a sudden people come out from the woodwork to crucify DJI. Everyone agrees DJI is at fault for the crash, even though the entire scenario was being controlled by an app not of their (DJI) design.

Why did you buy the Litchi app? So you could make the P3 do things the DJI GO app doesn't have/support. So, in essence, you are having the P3 do what it wasn't designed to do, regardless of an app that attempts to circumvent what was designed into the machine and original (DJI GO) app.

You pushed the machine beyond it's design limits and now you want DJI to pay for your f-up. You used the P3 inconsistent with the design parameters, regardless of what anyone else claims they do, YOU are the one at fault for using the P3 NOT as it was intended when it was sold to you.

I hope that clarifies things for the members here, because I sure can't explain it any more clearly. Use 3rd party apps/products at your own risk. Plain and simple and really...is common sense.

Drone on...oh wait...sorry. o_O
Squirrel it may be, and seems likley, the DJI email isn't clear.

Many have been looked after by DJI under warranty who were flying with third party apps.

The issue here is almost certainly that DJI cannot determine if the failure was DJI hardware or software (firmware) as the AC cant be presented to them for flight log analysis. The GO app .txt Log file may have assisted them to some extent however it seems the .csv produced by Litchi doesnt, or at least couldnt in this case, assist in a determination of failure.

If Im flying with Litch, Autoilot or any other non DJI app and an ESC or motor fails in flight or there is another hardware/DJI software issue that causes a crash and that is recorded by the .dat on the AC there would not be an issue with warranty.

Thing is in this instance there is no way of demonstrating what happened and who was at fault, the black box isn't available.

The DJI mindset is one of innovation and continuing support. Then people come in and say "hey, I was using your product with an app you did not design to go with it and I crashed. I want you to take care of the problem and fix it for free".

No, a lot of people do not agree with that... as it's 100% incorrect.

Again, 100% incorrect.

Still 100% incorrect.

Allow me a moment to completely ignore the one and only thing that needs to be considered... since you have chosen to do so as well. Tell me, what in the Litchi app or the OP's use of the Litchi app caused this failure? After all, this is what you point out time and time again in your above statements. You are _very_ clear time and time again that it was the Litchi app and and the OP's use of the Litchi app that caused the failure so please... tell me what caused this failure so it's so clear. If you can't come up with this (and you can't) then everything you mentioned is incorrect. I'm sorry... it just is.

Now, let's back up to where we should be at... rather then just _assuming_ it was the Litchi app and the OP's use of the app that caused the damage that you represent as fact. DJI _allows_ the OP to use 3rd party apps. This is 100% fact as DJI created the SDK and allowed Litchi to make the app with the intention that DJI customers would use it to fly the Phantom. Read the DJI warranty and tell me where it states that DJI won't honor the warranty _just_ for using a 3rd party app. It's a 100% fact that DJI does _not_ claim this anywhere in their warranty. DJI wrote the warranty and no customer is allowed to change it. Since DJI had _every_ opportunity to write in this exclusion for a situation that they created, they can't now make up an exclusion that does not exist. Heck, they are even free to exclude coverage for a Phantom that they cannot inspect. Or even just create an exclusion when a 3rd party app is used that does not record the same logs on the Pilot app. The list goes on and on. It took me all of 5 seconds to come up with those exclusions. It's not rocket science. DJI does not get to make up the warranty wording and then simply ignore what they wrote. The warranty is a legally binding contract that is _required_ to comply with the Magnuson-Moss Act. Truth is (and I've mentioned this before), it fails in _so_ many different ways. There are even basic requirements that are missing.

Reactions: mikesmiley
No, a lot of people do not agree with that... as it's 100% incorrect.

"Squirrel! said:
Why did you buy the Litchi app? So you could make the P3 do things the DJI GO app doesn't have/support. So, in essence, you are having the P3 do what it wasn't designed to do, regardless of an app that attempts to circumvent what was designed into the machine and original (DJI GO) app."

Again, 100% incorrect.

"Squirrel! said:
You pushed the machine beyond it's design limits and now you want DJI to pay for your f-up. You used the P3 inconsistent with the design parameters, regardless of what anyone else claims they do, YOU are the one at fault for using the P3 NOT as it was intended when it was sold to you."

Still 100% incorrect.

Allow me a moment to completely ignore the one and only thing that needs to be considered... since you have chosen to do so as well. Tell me, what in the Litchi app or the OP's use of the Litchi app caused this failure? After all, this is what you point out time and time again in your above statements. You are _very_ clear time and time again that it was the Litchi app and and the OP's use of the Litchi app that caused the failure so please... tell me what caused this failure so it's so clear. If you can't come up with this (and you can't) then everything you mentioned is incorrect. I'm sorry... it just is.

Now, let's back up to where we should be at... rather then just _assuming_ it was the Litchi app and the OP's use of the app that caused the damage that you represent as fact. DJI _allows_ the OP to use 3rd party apps. This is 100% fact as DJI created the SDK and allowed Litchi to make the app with the intention that DJI customers would use it to fly the Phantom. Read the DJI warranty and tell me where it states that DJI won't honor the warranty _just_ for using a 3rd party app. It's a 100% fact that DJI does _not_ claim this anywhere in their warranty. DJI wrote the warranty and no customer is allowed to change it. Since DJI had _every_ opportunity to write in this exclusion for a situation that they created, they can't now make up an exclusion that does not exist. Heck, they are even free to exclude coverage for a Phantom that they cannot inspect. Or even just create an exclusion when a 3rd party app is used that does not record the same logs on the Pilot app. The list goes on and on. It took me all of 5 seconds to come up with those exclusions. It's not rocket science. DJI does not get to make up the warranty wording and then simply ignore what they wrote. The warranty is a legally binding contract that is _required_ to comply with the Magnuson-Moss Act. Truth is (and I've mentioned this before), it fails in _so_ many different ways. There are even basic requirements that are missing.

W.T.F.jpg

You didn't bother reading or even trying, to understand what was written.

The only thing I will reply to are the erroneous and comments you made above.

1. Of course alot of people don't agree. You are of the entitlement mindset where you think just because you paid for something, you can use it as you wish. And you can. But when you f it all to hell and back by using a 'modded' application, thereby 'modding' the system (which modding isn't included in the warranty), you expect the manufacturer to fix your f-up under the guise of it being a warranty issue.

2. I've never once implied nor stated the crash was caused by Litchi, no matter how many words you use to try to claim I said/implied it when I didn't. This is typical of those type people that blame everyone else for their own screw ups and don't want to accept responsibility for their actions.

And love the fact that I am wrong and you are right because I can't guarantee the reason for the crash. That is not up to me, it is up to the OP to prove it to DJI. And the OP failed at convincing DJI it was their fault, which it wasn't.

3. Which brings us to your main complaint/*****, that simply because DJI opened the SDK, they are responsible for the crash. This is classic entitlement syndrome in full bloom on this one. Sure they allow other apps and encourage the development of such apps. Where does it state anywhere, that DJI will warranty their product when used with 3rd party apps? It doesn't and a company would be a fool, and not be in business very long using this model of repairing something that was being used inconsistently with the product design. When using a 3rd party app, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, and,as you have noted, Litchi is staying out of this cluster f..

4. It took you 5 seconds because you are of the entitlement mindset, as evidenced by your rants. DJI can refuse anything when a 3rd party app comes into play. ESPECIALLY when the flight logs do not match. If you have those blinders on so tightly that you can't understand that, then I cannot help you any more.

In conclusion, DJI does not 'recommend' Litchi or any of the other 3rd party apps, just as they do not recommend all brands of phones/tablets to use. Use a tablet that isn't on their recommended list (and forget about it if you are using a non-recommended device AND a 3rd party app) and something goes awry, guess who is absolved from blame? You got it! DJI.

I understand that not everyone knows/understands how to run a business. But when common sense is thrown haphazardly to the side in order to have ones agenda be met, well, let's just put it this way...Karma's a *****.

Go buy a Tesla and then use 3rd party batteries. Think Tesla will warrant the vehicle after that? Of course not. Same principle applies in this instance.

Use a 3rd party battery and crash. Not DJI fault. But that $10 you saved isn't helping either, is it?

Use a 3rd party app and crash. Not DJI fault. You wanted an app that would allow you to do things the manufacturer app doesn't allow. You got it, used it and now you ***** because you crashed.

Use DJI battery and crash. DJI fault and warranty. Bet you are glad you spent the extra $10 now, huh?

Use the DJI app and crash. DJI fault and warranty. Bet you are glad you weren't using a 3rd party app...

Reactions: Chasbro
2. I've never once implied nor stated the crash was caused by Litchi, no matter how many words you use to try to claim I said/implied it when I didn't. This is typical of those type people that blame everyone else for their own screw ups and don't want to accept responsibility for their actions.

[/quote]ou pushed the machine beyond it's design limits and now you want DJI to pay for your f-up. You used the P3 inconsistent with the design parameters, regardless of what anyone else claims they do, YOU are the one at fault for using the P3 NOT as it was intended when it was sold to you.[/quote]

You have stated the app allows people to do what the P3 was not designed to do (see below) and that the OP used the app to do these things and this is what caused the crash. From your own conclusion, remove the app and you no longer have the OP able to do what caused the crash (in your own mind).

Also, another incorrect statement. DJI designed and distributed the SDK. In doing do they allowed everything in the Litchi app. Nothing in the Litchi app would work without the SDK from DJI.

And love the fact that I am wrong and you are right because I can't guarantee the reason for the crash. That is not up to me, it is up to the OP to prove it to DJI. And the OP failed at convincing DJI it was their fault, which it wasn't.

According to you, it is up to you. You have specifically stated that the app and the OP's use of the app caused the crash. It's also not up to the OP to prove anything to DJI other then show them what DJI themselves (promise to repair and no exclusions for using a 3rd party app).

3. Which brings us to your main complaint/*****, that simply because DJI opened the SDK, they are responsible for the crash. This is classic entitlement syndrome in full bloom on this one. Sure they allow other apps and encourage the development of such apps. Where does it state anywhere, that DJI will warranty their product when used with 3rd party apps? It doesn't and a company would be a fool, and not be in business very long using this model of repairing something that was being used inconsistently with the product design. When using a 3rd party app, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, and,as you have noted, Litchi is staying out of this cluster f..

No... never said DJI was responsible for the crash... I said DJI was responsible for the _repairs_ as they knowingly chose to create the ability for someone to use a 3rd party app and then chose not to exclude it's use from their promise to repair. Here is DJI's promise:

DJI agrees to repair or replace a product during the warranty period (see Warranty Period of Main Parts) subject to the conditions outlined below.

This statement is where the Litchi app would be covered as it's included within that statement. The contract is a Contract of Adhesion. It's not up to the customer to show DJI intended to exclude coverage when using a 3rd party app, it's the requirement of DJI to show that the contract _specifically excludes coverage for it's use_. That is just how contracts and the law works. The law is _very_ clear on this issue. Want to know why those other (correctly written) warranties are so long with all of the fine print?

So I'm acting "entitled" when I say DJI needs to honor their contract? Odd use of the word.

4. It took you 5 seconds because you are of the entitlement mindset, as evidenced by your rants. DJI can refuse anything when a 3rd party app comes into play. ESPECIALLY when the flight logs do not match. If you have those blinders on so tightly that you can't understand that, then I cannot help you any more.
Sorry. You are incorrect. DJI offered a contract to the OP as part of the purchase, it offered to repair the Phantom under certain circumstances with certain exclusions and now DJI is choosing to ignore that offer and have now verbally added an exclusion to that promise.

In conclusion, DJI does not 'recommend' Litchi or any of the other 3rd party apps, just as they do not recommend all brands of phones/tablets to use. Use a tablet that isn't on their recommended list (and forget about it if you are using a non-recommended device AND a 3rd party app) and something goes awry, guess who is absolved from blame? You got it! DJI.

SDK DEVELOPMENT
Have a new idea that requires a view from the sky?Develop your own app by using the DJI Software Development Kit. The Phantom 3 platform is fully open and allows you to program apps that:

Litchi signed up for the SDK program and DJI gave Litchi the app. It's not a question of needing to recommend an app in order for it's use to be covered. You continue to ignore what the warranty states. As shown above, part of what a person pays for is the use of apps made with DJI's SDK. I suppose you are still going to say "app" does not include Litchi even though the general use of the term does include Litchi (and the fact that Litchi needs to sign up for the SDK program and DJI specifically gave Litchi the SDK).

Did the OP use a non-recommend phone/tablet? It would not matter anyway as DJI is not denying warranty coverage for this reason. DJI is stating that the warranty excludes cover just for flying using a 3rd party app.

They offered to repair or replace the OP's drone with certain limitations and exclusions. Using a 3rd party app is not excluded as they claim. It's that simple.

Go buy a Tesla and then use 3rd party batteries. Think Tesla will warrant the vehicle after that? Of course not. Same principle applies in this instance.

Does Tesla exclude coverage for using 3rd party batteries when the cause the damage? If you are going to represent this as the same thing then you need to be able to answer that question. We know for a fact that DJI's warranty does not exclude coverage just for using a 3rd party app.

"You have specifically stated that the app and the OP's use of the app caused the crash."

I can no longer debate you when you use out and out lies to make your point. I have not "specifically stated" anything beyond what I have stated. Nowhere can you show I stated Litchi was the cause of the crash. For the final time, I stated that DJI is not responsible for warranty work when using 3rd party products. Plain and simple, cut and dry, your agenda doesn't fly in the business world nor the court system.

This debate is over. DJI is not responsible for warranty repair work when a crash occurs using any other product than their own.

You aren't going to have your cake and eat it too. Deal with it.

And for your final post that cements your inability or unwillingness to understand;

"Does Tesla exclude coverage for using 3rd party batteries when the cause the damage? If you are going to represent this as the same thing then you need to be able to answer that question."

You didn't even bother to read the opening sentence I wrote. Go away, troll.

"Squirrel! said:

Go buy a Tesla and then use 3rd party batteries. Think Tesla will warrant the vehicle after that? Of course not. Same principle applies in this instance."

And for the rest of you that feel so entitled, here is another perfect example of how a manufacturer isn't responsible when 3rd party products are used:

Went and got my truck washed at a popular drive thru place that I have been thru many, many times with no issues. Background; I added aftermarket backup sensors to the truck when I got it last year.
After going thru the wash this time however, it seems something got caught and ripped the sensor off the wire and onto the floor of the car wash.

Seeing this as an opportunity to explain in real, working mans terms, what I have been saying over and over again here, I contacted the manager and made a complaint. Manager came out, looked at the hole in the bumper cover and asked "are these after-market?" I replied yes. He stated they aren't responsible for damage to after-market products. but if it were factory, that would be different.

I said I understand and the guy gave me a coupon for a free ultimate wash which includes tire-shine! :rolleyes:

Now, whose responsibility is the damage? The car wash? Ford? or me, the guy that wanted my vehicle to do what it wasn't designed to do?

It of course is my responsibility just as if I were using 3rd party apps to fly my drone (I do) and crash (I have), it is my responsibility. Not DJI or anyone else. Just me. I don't know what the OP was doing, wrong, right or indifferent, but I do know that DJI doesn't owe squat when there product had been modified to do what it wasn't designed to do.

Regardless if it can or can't do things the 3rd party apps 'unlock'...they came sold with certain features locked. Sure they encourage 3rd party development. It is a 'use at your own risk' deal though. If you were using litchi for a waypoint mission and the bird just does a pile drive into the cement below, is it DJI fault or Litchi? Who should pay? Does the pilot accept no responsibility? Those pilots do not need to be in the air to begin with!

The OP accepts no responsibility for his actions which is unexcusable. What is worse, there are a few that back that behavior up. That is a dangerous flier, always blaming others. There is a reason for the age limit to get certified. Maturity has its rewards. Drones aren't for everyone. o_O

They have to warranty it by law, and I'm sure they would. Do you think toyota is voiding warranties for the many prius' that have aftermarket battery packs? The only thing they can exclude is damage CAUSED by the third party battery. I just posted this in another thread, this is federal law, they can't put tricky language in the warranty to get around it. From the FTC(this law is not specific to cars):

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

This should be a warrantied item. Go back to your claim at the car wash. If you had non OEM tires on your truck should they replace the damage. How about if you change the tires on the truck and the motor blows at 2,000 miles should the engine be warrantied. The answer is yes the warranty should be honored. Now if the tires were oversized and caused undue stress or... In the case of the Phantom if the app made the Phantom fly inverted I would agree that DJI would not be liable for any crash. That's just my .02.. If I'm reading this correctly I don't even think he was flying the app when the crash occurred.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You obviously didn't read your own description:

"The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty."

And that is pretty much that.

"The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty."

You're just one of those people that can't lose an argument, huh?

If that line means what you think it does, than the whole paragraph before is meaningless, they could have just answered yes. If a warranty is void when they offer to replace parts for free, then the warranty is void if it is a warranty.

I could just quote the actual law, but i'm sure you'd find some way to think you were still right. I don't have time to argue with someone with such a shallow ego. What would convince you that you were wrong?

Just about everything you've written in this thread is ridiculous and completely wrong.

You have ignored actual evidence and made up your own.

Your entire argument is based on one line of an email from support that was probably mistranslated and intended to say something different. You are ignoring the contents of the actual warranty, the email from DJI to Auto Flight Logic assuring them that the warranty is still valid when using Autopilot - and you're ignoring the fact that countless users have experienced problems while using 3rd party apps and have had their repairs completed under warranty.

So - if you're going to ignore all of the facts - it's no wonder that all your conclusions are so ridiculous.

In the near future, I'm sure we'll see an official statement that confirms using 3rd party apps does NOT automatically void the warranty - and shortly after that it would be appropriate to see your apology for wasting all our time.

You're just one of those people that can't lose an argument, huh?

What would convince you that you were wrong?

Sure. I lose arguments if I'm wrong. But in this case, I am surrounded by those that feel entitled and do not accept responsibility for their actions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav