Litchi/AutoPilot Apps void your warranty

Should this be legal?

• Total voters
In the near future, I'm sure we'll see an official statement that confirms using 3rd party apps does NOT automatically void the warrant .
I don't think you can hold your breath that long...

Sure. I lose arguments if I'm wrong. But in this case, I am surrounded by those that feel entitled and do not accept responsibility for their actions.
I don't know why you think I feel entitled and don't accept responsibility for my actions. What have I written that makes you think that?

All I've done is corrected the people here who somehow think a company can get out of their legal responsibilities by putting a line in a warranty. Sorry the law doesn't work that way. I can put any language I want into a contract, it doesn't negate federal law. If I get someone to sign a contract of indentured servitude, that doesn't mean I get around slavery law.

BTW: You never answered my question. What would convince you that you're wrong here? I'm dead serious. Or maybe you'd like to prove me wrong by quoting a source beyond a shrinkwrap contract.

" think a company can get out of their legal responsibilities by putting a line in a warranty."

WTF?! What is this "line" everyone has suddenly switched to saying I am basing my side on? I'm beginning to think y'all are doing 'lines', FFS.

I base my side on a crash occuring while using a 3rd party app that unlocks features not otherwise available at the time of sale. I have ALWAYS stated this is the case. I'm surrounded by those that can't read either, it appears.

When you buy something with the intent to modify it, the warranty is void the instant you do. Plain and simple and a court of law will tell you the same. Should DJI cover 3rd party accessories, then they have to warrant remotes that have been modified so the **** thing flies to tim-buk-tu where it crashes and the operator wants DJI to repair it because it doesn't state he CAN'T fly to timbuktu.

You want your cake and eat it too and life and the law, doesn't work that way. You aren't correcting me or anyone else.

Squirrel you need to get past the app voiding warranty argument. This is simply not true. There are numerous accounts of instances where warranty was honoured by DJI where a third party app was used at the time of a crash. The question being if it could be established a DJI hardware or software (firmware) issue contributed.

The OP predicament seems not to be that he used Litchi. The issue is he is unable to.provide DJI with flight logs for diagnosis.

With respect to third part apps unlocking unintended features that is not possible. Decelopers can only command the AC to perform a function that is provided for in the SDk. DJI has full control over the performance parameters.

I don't know why you think I feel entitled and don't accept responsibility for my actions. What have I written that makes you think that?

All I've done is corrected the people here who somehow think a company can get out of their legal responsibilities by putting a line in a warranty. Sorry the law doesn't work that way. I can put any language I want into a contract, it doesn't negate federal law. If I get someone to sign a contract of indentured servitude, that doesn't mean I get around slavery law.
" think a company can get out of their legal responsibilities by putting a line in a warranty."

WTF?! What is this "line" everyone has suddenly switched to saying I am basing my side on? I'm beginning to think y'all are doing 'lines', FFS.

I base my side on a crash occuring while using a 3rd party app that unlocks features not otherwise available at the time of sale. I have ALWAYS stated this is the case. I'm surrounded by those that can't read either, it appears.

When you buy something with the intent to modify it, the warranty is void the instant you do. Plain and simple and a court of law will tell you the same. Should DJI cover 3rd party accessories, then they have to warrant remotes that have been modified so the **** thing flies to tim-buk-tu where it crashes and the operator wants DJI to repair it because it doesn't state he CAN'T fly to timbuktu.

You want your cake and eat it too and life and the law, doesn't work that way. You aren't correcting me or anyone else.
You still didn't answer. What would convince you? You must be the most insufferable person to be around. How can you have a debate with someone so fragile that they ignore everything that doesn't agree with them.

Unlocking features not available at the time of sale? You mean like the feature of being able to drive through snow, like snow tires? What about backup cameras or GPS? Or are you telling me that anyone who's added mirrors, lights, tires, etc has a void warranty? I quoted the relevant law, and posted a interpretation of that law by the government body that regulates trade. Refute that, I'd love to hear how you think that adding features to a product negates the magnuson-moss warranty act. The law was written for specifically this scenario.

What could I write that would convince you that you're wrong?

W.T.F.jpg

So your side is based on ignorance. You have been told many times in this thread that these 3rd party apps have been created with DJI's blessing, using an SDK created by DJI specifically for this purpose.

The SDK only allows specific, supported actions. The 3rd party app does not communicate with the aircraft - it communicates with the SDK and the SDK validates the request and then sends back an error to the SDK or sends the appropriate commands to the aircraft to satisfy the request.

You obviously assumed that the 3rd party apps reverse engineered the DJI communications protocols or somehow hacked their way into the system which is simply not true.

That was your first mistake. Your second mistake was not listening to the many people who tried to correct you. Instead of engaging in a dialogue, learning something and admitting your error - you lashed out, claimed everyone else was wrong and just "entitled".

You've been wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong about everything - and now that 3 or 4 of us in a row have addressed the one thing that you base your side on - and have proven that to be wrong, untrue, a lie, incorrect and in error, how will you respond?

Your next reply will tell us loads about your character.

Reactions: mikesmiley
:rolleyes:

OK, I'm wrong. You're right. So this means DJI is repairing his bird under warranty. That is GREAT news! Oh, wait...they aren't which means you aren't right. Go away, you entitled feeling troll.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter one [expletive removed] as to what you or me or anyone says here. DJI has stated their position and unlikely to change it. I agree with and acknowledge their position and work within their position.

At the end of the day, I have my P3 to fly, so no skin off my nose if some little entitled troll wants to feel superior in his little entitled world.

Have a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter one ( Expletive Removed ) as to what you or me or anyone says here. DJI has stated their position and unlikely to change it. I agree with and acknowledge their position and work within their position.

At the end of the day, I have my P3 to fly, so no skin off my nose if some little entitled troll wants to feel superior in his little entitled world.

Have a good day.
OOOOO...you said the F word....You're in trouble now....

Last edited by a moderator:
come on guys, how old are you, 10?
it turned out that some of us agree with DJI's decision and some of us don't
but as the Squirrel wrote, it doesn't matter what we think, because DJI made the decision, end of the story
and unless some miracle happens and DJI changes their mind, Guardmy6's last chance is to sue them
lesson for us is not to use 3rd party apps (if we don't want to risk of voiding the warranty) or to use them very very carefully

:rolleyes:

OK, I'm wrong. You're right. So this means DJI is repairing his bird under warranty. That is GREAT news! Oh, wait...they aren't which means you aren't right. Go away, you entitled feeling troll.

Wow! You leap right from misunderstanding one thing to misunderstanding another thing that has been pointed out to you more than once in this thread.

We were engaged in a general discussion about whether simply using authorized 3rd party software invalidates your entire warranty - and after you were told you were wrong politely 8 times and twice not-so-politely - you finally admit you were wrong and then incorrectly apply that one piece of data to the current plight of the OP.

The OP has not given up yet and until he does - nothing is final about his bird - but it appears (as you've already been told) that the problem DJI has with his claim is that it cannot be verified because he does not physically have the aircraft which contains the flight logs they want to see.

Are you really so thick or so petty that you can't follow a logical argument that contains more than one criteria??? Seriously dude. Grow up and if you really don't want to see where you went wrong and understand how things really are - then just disappear. Leave thick conversation and stop polluting the thread with misinformation. If not - then try to follow along. Try to understand what has already been explained to you ad nauseum.

"So this means DJI is repairing his bird under warranty?" If you genuinely think that is a logical conclusion to "Using 3rd party software does not invalidate your entire warranty" - then there is truly no hope for you. Even a child could understand that there are many other things that could invalidate a warrant claim. Your post intimates that if you are using a third party app, your warrant claim MUST be honoured. Personally, despite all the evidence, I don't believe that you are *that* stupid although I'm certain that many would disagree.

You posted this as a last desperate attempt to make some kind of valid point in this discussion because you're not man enough to just admit your misunderstanding, apologize for the name calling and more forward in peace. I have much pity for anyone that is subject to your "authority" either at work or home. It's challenging and frustrating to interact with someone who gets angry and aggressive when their word is (rightfully) disputed.

come on guys, how old are you, 10?
it turned out that some of us agree with DJI's decision and some of us don't
but as the Squirrel wrote, it doesn't matter what we think, because DJI made the decision, end of the story
and unless some miracle happens and DJI changes their mind, Guardmy6's last chance is to sue them
lesson for us is not to use 3rd party apps (if we don't want to risk of voiding the warranty) or to use them very very carefully

It's far from over - and we are not disputing something that is open to different opinions. We are debating what the actual DJI *OFFICIAL* policy is on the use of 3rd party software and warranty claims.

So far we have 3 pieces of evidence that shows the policy is that using 3rd party software DOES NOT void your warranty, and we have 1 email from a low level support rep that states the warranty is invalid. My money is that the support rep misunderstands the DJI policy or that he meant to say something else and it got lost in translation.

In any case - this is something that we can obtain an official statement from DJI about and resolve the debate once and for all. It's not a matter of opinion where we should walk away and "agree to disagree".

I've been itching to try Litchi but not at the possible expense of DJI telling me to piss off if/when something goes wrong during the use of this app.

Nope. I think I will stick with the official DJI app.

I've been itching to try Litchi but not at the possible expense of DJI telling me to piss off if/when something goes wrong during the use of this app.

Sure...you could make your purchasing decision based on fear mongering on the Internet - or you could write to DJI support before buying the app and ask for a clarification on their policy. If they say it's supported, you'd have it in writing if an incident ever did occur.

You'll be missing out on a lot of great functionality if you don't get Litchi or Autopilot. It would be a shame if the only reason for that was a misunderstanding you could have cleared up pretty easily....

To keep it 100%, unquestionably warranty worthy, that is a VERY wise decision. Me, I don't care. It costs more to ship back to DJI, not to mention the time it takes on the phone, emails, etc. Parts are plentiful and cheap. If you can hold a screwdriver you can repair most anything yourself, faster and cheaper than dealing with the warranty.

Or you can use 3rd party devices and take your chance on the warranty being invalidated, even though some *** clowns here think that is impossible to do. Well, the troll thinks that.

Last edited:
I empathize with the OP for his loss - and I do hope that he can get a better deal from DJI on a replacement.

But, if I had to speculate as to the real reasons for the rejection - I would think that it's because the user made no attempt to switch out of F mode when he first realized the bird was going off route. They probably think that there was a reasonable amount of time for the pilot to have seen that something was going wrong and flip the switch to disable the Litchi follow mode.

Or you can use 3rd party devices and take your chance on the warranty being invalidated, even though some *** clowns here think that is impossible to do. Well, the troll thinks that.

Anyone that doesn't agree with your interpretation warranty law is an *** clown and/or a troll?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31