Limp Gimbal, Good video, Gimbal LED on.

Reaction score
I have read several gimbal problem posts but find none that mirrors my issues. I had a crash, broke the yaw arm and replaced it with a Fstoplabs yaw arm and ribbon cable. I was very careful during repair ensuring all connections were made good and was very gentle with the ribbon cable. I had no issues getting everything back in place. I powered the AC up, but the gimbal never moved. It never initializes when the AC powers up. It hangs limp but the green gimbal led is on, the video is good, just no movement. Can anyone give me advice on where to look for the issue? I used iRepairMD's repair video for my source of info on the repair.

UPDATE: Changed out the Fstoplabs flat cable and replaced it with a DJI. Still no camera movement. Good video, green LED on, just no initialization when AC comes on. Any suggestions? Is a new camera and gimbal in my future? Could it be something else?

UPDATE 2: Read through several of the fixes for the error I have and tried them. Still no luck. What else gimbal gyroscope error? Is buying a new camera a sure thing? Is there anything else that it could be that I need to look at before buying another camera? I really hate to get a new one and have it hang there in the same shape as this is in.

The ribbon coming from the roll motor which you can't see until you have taken it apart may be broken as it did with mine after a crash, waiting for a new roll motor at moment hoping that will do the trick.

Sent from my SM-T550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Littlepig
The ribbon coming from the roll motor which you can't see until you have taken it apart may be broken as it did with mine after a crash, waiting for a new roll motor at moment hoping that will do the trick.

Sent from my SM-T550 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Let me know if it fixes it. I would be happy to order one and try it. I have tried everything else.

Sorry to hear that. Decided I couldn't fix mine. Sent mine off to Dronenerds to have it checked. Turned out to be the camera. They replaced it and it's on the way back to me.

My understanding is that DroneNerds do not fix gimbal but rather replace them. I had asked when I crashed and broke the gimbal before wasting $60+shipping. DJI instead quoted gimbal repair, though they obviously replaced it, likely a refurb.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sorry to hear that. Decided I couldn't fix mine. Sent mine off to Dronenerds to have it checked. Turned out to be the camera. They replaced it and it's on the way back to me.

Doesn't make sense.... to me. How can a camera malfunction affect the three axis gimble? The camera circuit should be independent of the gimbal drive circuits.

Not sure either. I know my attempts were not successful. I felt like it was one of the gimble boards since the camera still had a picture but no movement. Oh well. Lesson learned...no hot dogging. I will be glad to have it back.

Not sure either. I know my attempts were not successful. I felt like it was one of the gimble boards since the camera still had a picture but no movement. Oh well. Lesson learned...no hot dogging. I will be glad to have it back.

I suspect the repair techs are changing whole modules or boards that save them time but cost you money, of course they won't tell U that. There are sooooooooooooo many gimbal failures that I would think it would be worth coming up with a trouble shooting flow chart.

Mine does the exact same thing, after a crash, but no video on the Go app. but it can still be commanded to take still pix.
From what all I've read, your most likely problem is the flex cable. Apparently there's one for the camera and one for the gimbal motors. The heavier black looking one is for the gimbal motors. As far as I can tell (I'm new at this) is that the gimbal motors are driven by IC's mounted on the single board inside the case that attaches to the camera/gimbal assy. From what little I can scratch up in my research, is that a serial data bus, originates from the main board, in the body of the drone. It is sent through the gray ribbon cable to the board in the gimbal/camera assy. and that is decoded and commands the gimbals motors.
I've worked professionally with units that used flex cables and they were always a trouble spot and we hated working on them. Ours were not plug in but soldered in. The quality of the cable has a lot to do with the servaceablity of a flex cable. In this case, on these drones, they seem to not be very well protected, so they are very vulnerable in a crash. Looks like a design problem.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl