life time of new motors

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Does anyone knows what is the life span of the new motors on p3a/p?
Does DJI mention anything about this?

Thanx!!!!

BLDC motors have only bearings that move and to wear.
Their lifetime is hundreds of hours.

Bought my P3S in September, just now noticed a bad motor, right rear, with just 13 hrs on the bird.
It's flopping around on the stator like a fish, feels like the bearing is shot. New style motors, btw.

Anyone else had this issue?

Bought my P3S in September, just now noticed a bad motor, right rear, with just 13 hrs on the bird.
It's flopping around on the stator like a fish, feels like the bearing is shot. New style motors, btw.

Wow that's not very long. If any of mine start to wear I will probably solder in a pair of connects that way the body does not have to be taken apart to replace them.

Yeah, I'm having the same thoughts...

As with anything there will be duds but in general I would expect the motors to last into the hundreds of hours.

Yeah the other three seem perfect, no play whatsoever, and they turn smooth and free.
The scary part is I had just flown out 3000+ feet, 390 feet above the woods, just noticed it sounded a bit clunky upon return. Could've dropped at any time. From now on, I'll check them all before each flight, this made a believer our of me!

Live and learn.

4/3/2016 - Just swapped out my second bad motor, another CW one, diagonally across from the first. This one had about 24 hrs. flight time on it.
Nothin' is as handy as a spare tire, when you need it!

In all probability you will be enticed by a new model offering or suffer a non motor related loss before the motor bearings give way. Esp if you run balanced props and avoid hedge trimming and inverted landings.

I do balance my props, but i'll be the first to admit my props have occasionally see greenery. But this last motor failure was not the result of that, I have not hit anything other than air for months.
As far as detecting it goes, it was first noticeable to me as a slight wobble when changing altitude. Upon closer inspection, there was cyclic ringing noise. The final test is to: Remove the battery, wiggle the props up and down and check (compare them) for play, and any thumping or clicking noise.

I do balance my props, but i'll be the first to admit my props have occasionally see greenery. But this last motor failure was not the result of that, I have not hit anything other than air for months.
As far as detecting it goes, it was first noticeable to me as a slight wobble when changing altitude. Upon closer inspection, there was cyclic ringing noise. The final test is to: Remove the battery, wiggle the props up and down and check (compare them) for play, and any thumping or clicking noise.
There are no guarantees however my view is if they pass the manual wobble and end float test prior to a flight they aren't likely to catastrophically fail within the next 18 minutes....

Reactions: Techcop50

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl