Let's see some videos!

canerakcil said:
And as a newbie with vision plus, my 2 batteries fly only around 16-18 minutes(i stop at %20 battery remaining).. Is there anything to do to make the flight time up to 23 minutes like yours?

Thanks. Your battery run times are normal, and may improve slightly over the first 5-10 cycles. My typical flights range from 17-20 minutes, and I generally set down with 15-20% remaining. I have four batteries, and all of them appear consistent. This particular flight I did not intend to run them so deep, but I had a tail wind heading towards the bridge and was fighting it when returning. I was a bit nervous on the way back, as once your batteries reach the second warning, you have reduced power and the aircraft begins to descend. Did you notice how close I came to pancaking the asphalt as I came down? I was at only 11% when I landed.

I do not normally push my batteries so far. You may be able to achieve the stated "up to 25 minutes" run time if you fly conservatively in calm air, and push your batteries to their limit. Remember that, once you reach the second battery warning (defaults @ 15%), the aircraft will be flying with reduced power and will descend unless your push up on the stick. It probably is not advisable to do so on a regular basis.

J.J.B. said:
Sasquatch said:
J.J.B. said:
in fact it was only the second time I flew it. I love this piece of kit but my heart is in my mouth every time I take it out in case I dump £1,000 (yes, a Brit) into the dirt. So far, no damage other than a snapped blade when a tree jumped out of nowhere... :shock: [/quote="J.J.B."]

I am with you and it's hard to get past flying $1500 worth of electronics way up into the sky with a good chance she may crash! :shock:

I'm enjoying reading about what can be done with this great piece of kit and thank you all in advance for help, advice and commiseration should things go awry.

[edit] er...so the videos don't appear to work as with other forums, I tried to look in the help but no success, can anyone help?

Just copy and paste the direct URL from the address bar and then put the Youtube tags around them. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=628o2aXKkMQ&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Aha. So simple - thanks Sasquatch!

Here goes: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=628o2aXKkMQ[/youtube]

Really nice work :)

Dirty Bird said:
The other day I went behind the elementary school a couple of blocks away and did some high-altitude neighborhood flying. Funny how many people stopped to comment & inquire about the Phantom. The house closeup early on was the home of Perry & Pam, who stopped to check out the Vision+ and asked if I could fly over their house. Once I got to altitude, I was cruising at ~1000' and I was about 5800' out at max range. You can see many of my past video subjects off in the distance: The Key Bridge, Northeast High, Sunset Elementary, Ft. Smallwood Park, Brandon Shores power plant, and even "Mars!" ;)

I really pushed the battery to the limit on this flight, with a total flight time of nearly 23 minutes (I cut the first 7+ minutes off the video)! FVP dropped out at max range (should have ran the range booster app...duh!) , and I was sweating it a little as she was making her way back home. At 15:00, you can see I came in so hot I nearly pancaked the tarmac, and she stopped descending about 1' off the deck! Still had 11% battery left on touchdown.

Great flying Dirty Bird.
My heart was in my mouth watching that landing.
That descent speed looks like you're not on the latest firmware?

Jeffin916 said:
Here is one I saw, really loved this one!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgyvw_GFXfA[/youtube]

That's beautiful!

Somerset Patriots Fireworks filmed with a DJI Phantom 2 Vision + July 5th 2014
I used black tape as a lens hood so I wouldn't get the red glow from the lights above. I'm not happy about the white dots all over the video though. I cleaned the lens just before the flight. If you notice the disappear in the area by the fireworks. Anyone figure out how to get rid of them?

http://youtu.be/CE66_3-u42A

steele9999 said:
I used black tape as a lens hood so I wouldn't get the red glow from the lights above. I'm not happy about the white dots all over the video though. I cleaned the lens just before the flight. If you notice the disappear in the area by the fireworks. Anyone figure out how to get rid of them?

Nice video Steele. Your camera lens isn't the cause of the spots. I'm guessing your camera has an extreme case of thermally-induced light spots. Was it particularly warm that evening? One of my other hobbies (one I haven't messed with for quite some time) is astronomy. I have a couple of CCD imagers for my Meade ETX-105 & LX-200 telescopes. When filming in darkness with CCD imagers, heat in the imager can induce current flow across the pixel matrix. This makes individual pixels illuminate. Obviously this is undesirable when imaging stars. To prevent this, astronomical CCD imagers are usually cooled to minimize the effect. Simple imagers use a heatsink for passive cooling. More sophisticated systems add a fan, a Peltier-effect cooler, or liquid cooling.

Notice in your video how the white spots disappear for a time in areas exposed to a burst, but then slowly return when the area goes dark? I'm speculating that this is what is behind the specks all across your video. In daytime recording, you would be unlikely to notice this. I've never seen it as extreme as in your case. You could test your camera by placing a piece of black tape over the lens. Start recording as soon as you power up. As the camera warms, the spots will appear and become worse as temperature increases. Again, this would probably go unnoticed during daylight recording.

Dirty Bird said:
steele9999 said:

Nice video Steele. Your camera lens isn't the cause of the spots. I'm guessing your camera has an extreme case of thermally-induced light spots. Was it particularly warm that evening? One of my other hobbies (one I haven't messed with for quite some time) is astronomy. I have a couple of CCD imagers for my Meade ETX-105 & LX-200 telescopes. When filming in darkness with CCD imagers, heat in the imager can induce current flow across the pixel matrix. This makes individual pixels illuminate. Obviously this is undesirable when imaging stars. To prevent this, astronomical CCD imagers are usually cooled to minimize the effect. Simple imagers use a heatsink for passive cooling. More sophisticated systems add a fan, a Peltier-effect cooler, or liquid cooling.

Notice in your video how the white spots disappear for a time in areas exposed to a burst, but then slowly return when the area goes dark? I'm speculating that this is what is behind the specks all across your video. In daytime recording, you would be unlikely to notice this. I've never seen it as extreme as in your case. You could test your camera by placing a piece of black tape over the lens. Start recording as soon as you power up. As the camera warms, the spots will appear and become worse as temperature increases. Again, this would probably go unnoticed during daylight recording.

Thanks for the comment DB
It was a fairly cool night. Are you referring to internal camera temp. caused by the camera heating itself up?
I was a little surprised you said mine was extreme. I've watched many P2V+ night videos and most seem to have this problem and many seem more severe. I had thought it might of been to due with altitude or moisture (just a guess). So there's no cure. That sucks, the GoPro on my P1.1.1 was much better at night. I just can't handle not having a gimbal anymore.
By the way, I love your Inner Harbor videos

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor