Knitting Needle Landing Skid Stabilizers for Vision +

Reaction score
After I bought my Vision+ I decided to upgrade with the "Extended Legs Land Skid" on Ebay. The extended legs help protect the delicate gimbal and camera far more than the original landing gear, I think. However, I found that the Phantom remained top-heavy, and the danger of tipping over in uneven grass or on an incline still concerned me. And so I bought some 14" aluminum knitting needles. After sawing off the (relatively-weighty) round tips and filing them smooth, I used plastic ties to secure them to the extended legs (see pictures). The combined weight of the needles is just about an ounce, total, and so far they haven't seemed to contribute to flight instability. Nevertheless, I remain curious about the effects of any shift in the Phantom's center of gravity as I consider where to mount a tracking device, and I would love to hear from anyone with expertise or experience in CG physics about positioning attachments on the body.
Thanks,
bizrank

Attachments

• Needles 1.jpg
    Needles 1.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 677
  • Needles 2.jpg
    Needles 2.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 685
put some tail fins on them and they look like a pair of AMRAAMs.

I would have thought that would encourage a tip over, rather than stop it.

They would be far more likely to snag on the ground and tip it end over end.

Not to mention the daft point on the end.

It's a "FAIL" from me.

kxkraze said:
put some tail fins on them and they look like a pair of AMRAAMs.
HAHA I was thinking the same thing. I think I'll put Hellfires on mine. :twisted:
Looks like a good idea to me. Except you should sharpen them so you get good penetration when you go out spearing people with them. That's what everyone does with them, right? And make sure it's at head height with plenty of forward motion when you ram it into your own face so you actually do poke your eye out. Maybe bend the tips in so you get both eyes at once. :roll: :roll:

Those look incredibly dangerous.

I would replace them with some thin carbon tube available off ebay for only a few euros.

I was going to glue a dinner plate to my landing skids. This would not only increase stability on landing, but I would also be able to fly it to my local café with a note attached saying “please load the plate with sausage, egg and chips".

itchybeard said:
I was going to glue a dinner plate to my landing skids. This would not only increase stability on landing, but I would also be able to fly it to my local café with a note attached saying “please load the plate with sausage, egg and chips".

A plastic plate would work. :shock:

Put some "Beer Pong" balls or practice golf balls on the ends of the knitting needles. They are very light.

5841195_orig.jpg

bizrank said:
After I bought my Vision+ I decided to upgrade with the "Extended Legs Land Skid" on Ebay. The extended legs help protect the delicate gimbal and camera far more than the original landing gear, I think. However, I found that the Phantom remained top-heavy, and the danger of tipping over in uneven grass or on an incline still concerned me. And so I bought some 14" aluminum knitting needles. After sawing off the (relatively-weighty) round tips and filing them smooth, I used plastic ties to secure them to the extended legs (see pictures). The combined weight of the needles is just about an ounce, total, and so far they haven't seemed to contribute to flight instability. Nevertheless, I remain curious about the effects of any shift in the Phantom's center of gravity as I consider where to mount a tracking device, and I would love to hear from anyone with expertise or experience in CG physics about positioning attachments on the body.
Thanks,
bizrank

I attached similar "sticks" to my skids and, while the solution worked, they kept coming into frame during video. I believe the copter is most likely to tip to the back, towards the weight of the battery. Since the camera is pointed in the other direction, I'm testing extensions beyond the legs by a few inches to the rear only.

The food ideas make me think I could approach Amazon on a shish-kebob delivery system...

But seriously, so far there has been added stability. And the few landings on inclines have been stable as well--no tip-overs. I think you've all convinced me to saw off the points.

Any feedback on my center-of-gravity/attachments question?

I attached similar "sticks" to my skids and, while the solution worked, they kept coming into frame during video. I believe the copter is most likely to tip to the back, towards the weight of the battery. Since the camera is pointed in the other direction, I'm testing extensions beyond the legs by a few inches to the rear only.

Interesting. The curved field of the wide angle video doesn't appeal to me, so I always use the 1080p narrower field for my video. Despite their length, the stabilizers don't show up in that field of view.

Do they show up in the camera or do they stay clear of your shots?

They stay clear because I never use the wide angle mode; rather, I use the narrower field. I find that in wide angle mode the distortion of the horizon, or of almost any straight line, doesn't appeal to me.

You need to be very careful when taking off as those needles could easily snag the grass causing a tipover, what about transportation? They would not fit in most cases or backpacks.
I hand catch every time, no worries then.

Even if safe only provides 'protection' in two directions (fore, aft).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl