Just lost my P4 this evening.

Haven't yet read the entire thread yet, but a point to be aware of is that most hotels have WiFi routers en every room. That's probably consuming the entire WiFi bandwidth, and imagine all the spurious signals emanating in the area. It may simply have gone berserk and landed on a roof for all you know. If it was trying to RTH with eventual critical low batt, i suspect straight down becomes home.

EVERYROOM?? What hotel is this? They usually have one with a few repeaters and signal isn't always that great, maybe the high end 5 star hotels.

We'll just end this right here on my issue here with losing my bird! Like has been said, I was dumb to try and get this shot being out that far! If I had my max altitude set up another 60ft higher to 460ft this would have never happened. But I wanted to be ok with that rule so I had mine set to top out at 400. I was trying to drive it up the whole time but I was at my max set 400ft. Btw, there was two blocks between these two buildings. I was never even within 2-300 ft of either one of the tall buildings. But, still completely dumb and stupid to try it. I should have stayed out over river and just panned toward city and been ok with that. But I was a photographer trying to get this shot! Impulsivity! lol
I really should not have posted this here at all because of getting people so stirred up over my case! LOL! But I thought I might gain some knowledge from this and I def did! From both sides of the isle!

So to all of you who have been very helpful and positive on my ordeal thanks so very much. I really appreciate the sympathy and helpful hints. To those of you who want to come and kill me that's ok too. I'm a big boy I can take it. But a little different approach on your way of talking to people like me or anyone else who has a mishap with a bird might help benefit this community more and not cause division and attitudes! Sound cool??????? Now everyone slow down on those highways!!!!!!! lol

Neven:
The only time I ever fly near people is when I have permission and they are aware of the drone. This is usually for a photo of them.
My PH3-4 is limited to 1600ft. radius as it was bought in Canada. I am fortunate to be able to fly over farm land, forest, lakes and rivers so I am not near populated areas. I am new to drones but had many years with remote control aircraft. I like to work on flying POI , way points, follow me, squares, accurate landings and take off. I am working on taking good quality photos and video. Ya .... old geezer stuff.
I am not interested in joining the group who violates the law and will probably cause us to lose the right to fly drones. I try to respect others and their property. I always ask permission to fly off private property.

1600' is well outside of VLOS so if Canada has a VLOS requirement you are in violation of the law. You naughty man! :cool:

Neven:
The only time I ever fly near people is when I have permission and they are aware of the drone. This is usually for a photo of them.
My PH3-4 is limited to 1600ft. radius as it was bought in Canada. I am fortunate to be able to fly over farm land, forest, lakes and rivers so I am not near populated areas. I am new to drones but had many years with remote control aircraft. I like to work on flying POI , way points, follow me, squares, accurate landings and take off. I am working on taking good quality photos and video. Ya .... old geezer stuff.
I am not interested in joining the group who violates the law and will probably cause us to lose the right to fly drones. I try to respect others and their property. I always ask permission to fly off private property.

wait a minute.. If you buy the Phantom its limited to 1600 feet DISTANCE??? or he means altitude correct?

Neven:

Just tell me how will that prevent your drone hitting someone if navigation systems fail on it? If you want to be safe and avoid possibility of hitting someone then you have to be about 40.000ft away from anyone. There is no difference between fly away drone 1600ft or 20.000ft away from you. Chance of hitting someone is there on both cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlrsn
No .... 1600 ft. distance. DJI sets the drones shipped to Canada that way. The new PH3 - 4k cannot not be changed like the old ones could at least by a switch.

My P4 purchased in Toronto several weeks ago, with latest software updates, will fly 1640 ft (500 metres) altitude and software will limit at that point, and I have pushed it over water, line of sight, just over 3000 feet distance from home before complaining about loss of signal. Nowhere near the advertised horizontal distance. Just my experience.... Thanks

No .... 1600 ft. distance. DJI sets the drones shipped to Canada that way. The new PH3 - 4k cannot not be changed like the old ones could at least by a switch.

You don't know what you're talking about. If they limited to 1600' distance no one would buy them, and they certainly wouldn't be doing antenna mods.

There is a 500 meter height or altitude restriction that's universal.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: KevMo Photog

In the US version, you can open that up in the DJI Go app. You have to disable beginner mode and go into the settings to change it.

That really would suck if they really did that to drones shipped to Canada. If I am not mistaken I have seen Canadian members here flying much further that 1600'. Did they buy their drones elsewhere, disable the feature or just change the settings like the rest of us in the US did?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

All Phantoms sold anywhere have the 500 metre max distance setting as a default in the app.
And wherever you are you can switch that off and go as far as the control signal will reach.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl