Just lost my P4 this evening.

Well pheasant I think you did... As for the 500m limit your correct. But in every case I've seen and all three phantoms I've I had, you can change it off to ignore that. It's part of the beginner package.

I used to be able to fly my Drone to Canada from Washington state! **** near!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
The restriction of 500 meters is for height only. This is so as to not interfere with piloted aircraft that typically do not go below 2000 feet unless they are on takeoff or landing approach. Though I live by a lake and have seaplanes flying over my roof at 500 feet , so there has to be some responsibility on our part to not interfere with manned Aircraft. We should be sticking together with responsibilities for safety. Otherwise all the goofs with an attitude will spoil it for everyone else. The rules are already evolving, let us all be responsible operators. That special scene you want to get should be done legally via Recreational or Co LLPmmercial terms.
If you fly into the NFZ the bird goes into an irreversible auto-landing. Unless DJI has acted on my heads up about this quirk. It won't allow you to fly out it forces you to land. :eek:
Automatic landing is a serious logic flaw. It could land in water, on someone's head, or in the middle of traffic. The correct approach would be either to refuse to go further or an automatic RTH. With warnings on screen of course.

Reactions: Suhail78
If you fly into the NFZ the bird goes into an irreversible auto-landing. Unless DJI has acted on my heads up about this quirk. It won't allow you to fly out it forces you to land. :eek:

Thats what i thought would have happened, so lets say your flying your "baltimore run" and for some reason, an temporary NFZ pops up over the harbor.........that would mean bye-bye birdie right? auto-land right into the water. Careful planning is key i suppose.

This was an example I gave DJI when reporting the issue. What happens if we're in flight & a TFR pops up?

Thats what i thought would have happened, so lets say your flying your "baltimore run" and for some reason, an temporary NFZ pops up over the harbor.........that would mean bye-bye birdie right? auto-land right into the water. Careful planning is key i suppose.

Dirty bird do you have a 1440p version or at least a 1080@60fps? Its pretty much a flawless video, just wished it was a higher resolution or a 60fps video.

Its just such an awesome video lol

60 GPS at night sets ISO to 6400 & the video is horribly noisy. I do have 2.7 & 4K versions but if you do any editing on YouTube (sound, splice two videos together) they get reduced to 1080.

EDIT: I am mistaken. While there are 2.7K & 4K versions of "The Baltimore Run" & "Harbor Shot" missions, there is only the 1080x30 fps version of "Follow the Leader" as I have only flown that mission once. Looking for some Baltimore-area pilots to do a "Fellowship of the Phantom" flight if anyone is interested! ;)

Dirty bird do you have a 1440p version or at least a 1080@60fps? Its pretty much a flawless video, just wished it was a higher resolution or a 60fps video.

Its just such an awesome video lol

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
someone already managed resorver this problem data logger error

Attachments

• 14040004_1087215321359343_3372349986173909779_n.jpg
    14040004_1087215321359343_3372349986173909779_n.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 343

Have you experienced this first hand?
Don't mean come off as an a-hole by questioning you, just legitimately curious.

DJI customer support provided the following response to a similar inquiry of mine, made today:

(I had started by inquiring of a current NFZ map from DJI for products newer than the P2, rep's responses are bolded)

15:38:34
Yes as of now we don't have an updated map
Cause we just added 3000 more nfz's

15:40:42
Interesting and slightly concerning at the same time...
So another question -

Okay

15:42:37
What would happen to my uav if I was flying a waypoint mission with say Litchi or Autologic, out of RC signal range (assuming signal range was lost and I wasn't consciously out of RC range) and I happened to encounter one of these unpublished NFZ's?

Is my uav going to sit there and hover until it commences an autoland?

It will automatically return to home

No it will return to your set home point

Yes first hand flying P4s with a friend. I had older FW/Go app. He had the new version with user-selectable Geo function (first version that offered that feature). I couldn't enter the displayed stadium NFZ & was forced to turn back.

His showed no indication of an NFZ (understandable as no game was scheduled). He flew over & was suddenly presented with NFZ - Auto-Landing Initiated warning. He could move horizontally as the bird descended but the landing could not be stopped. Very fortunate he made it down in an empty field nearby. The FW & Go app has since been updated & may have been corrected. The only way to find out is to actually attempt to fly into an NFZ while in a position to regain control and/or land safely. Worse thing in this situation was the NFZ was NOT displayed. No red circle warning of the zone.

Have you experienced this first hand?
Don't mean come off as an a-hole by questioning you, just legitimately curious.

DJI customer support provided the following response to a similar inquiry of mine, made today:

(I had started by inquiring of a current NFZ map from DJI for products newer than the P2, rep's responses are bolded)

15:38:34
Yes as of now we don't have an updated map
Cause we just added 3000 more nfz's

15:40:42
Interesting and slightly concerning at the same time...
So another question -

Okay

15:42:37
What would happen to my uav if I was flying a waypoint mission with say Litchi or Autologic, out of RC signal range (assuming signal range was lost and I wasn't consciously out of RC range) and I happened to encounter one of these unpublished NFZ's?

Is my uav going to sit there and hover until it commences an autoland?

It will automatically return to home

No it will return to your set home point

Update on my lost P4 over Louisville! 2 1/2 weeks later my dad and I drove down to talk to the maintenance people at the Humana building where I believed it be up on a corner ledge of the building. Walked in to the front desk and they called the main guy on duty. He came down and was very nice to us. Told him where I thought it was up 350ft up on the corner ledge. He said give me 10 min and I'll go look for you. He came back and sure enough it's sitting right there on a stone 3ft wide ledge up 350ft. But, it's in an area that they cannot get to it. But, he said window washers will be there in 2 weeks and they should have no problem retrieving it for me. I was like hell yeah! So dad and I took my new P4 off of a parking garage right next to this building and went up and scoped it out just like Dirty Bird told me to do 2 weeks ago. Sure enough it's right there in the footage. Wind is even blowing the props in the video. If a 40-50mph wind whips up from the North to South, which is rare, it will blow it right off the building Im afraid!! So good news and maybe bad news if it blows off. Won't land on anything but another roof that is also part of this building. No people anywhere that it could hit. Im sure it has been rained on a couple of times. Wouldn't think that would hurt it much though. Battery is maybe shot as Lipo doesn't like to be at zero charge for long right? So lesson learned big time here and maybe got lucky to get it back in a couple weeks.

Update on my lost P4 over Louisville! 2 1/2 weeks later my dad and I drove down to talk to the maintenance people at the Humana building where I believed it be up on a corner ledge of the building. Walked in to the front desk and they called the main guy on duty. He came down and was very nice to us. Told him where I thought it was up 350ft up on the corner ledge. He said give me 10 min and I'll go look for you. He came back and sure enough it's sitting right there on a stone 3ft wide ledge up 350ft. But, it's in an area that they cannot get to it. But, he said window washers will be there in 2 weeks and they should have no problem retrieving it for me. I was like hell yeah! So dad and I took my new P4 off of a parking garage right next to this building and went up and scoped it out just like Dirty Bird told me to do 2 weeks ago. Sure enough it's right there in the footage. Wind is even blowing the props in the video. If a 40-50mph wind whips up from the North to South, which is rare, it will blow it right off the building Im afraid!! So good news and maybe bad news if it blows off. Won't land on anything but another roof that is also part of this building. No people anywhere that it could hit. Im sure it has been rained on a couple of times. Wouldn't think that would hurt it much though. Battery is maybe shot as Lipo doesn't like to be at zero charge for long right? So lesson learned big time here and maybe got lucky to get it back in a couple weeks.

Hey that's good news man! One way or another, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I actually suspect that it is on the top of one of the ledges of the building to your left. These are the most logical place it could have landed

View attachment 62941
On these ledges:
View attachment 62942
You win the prize for guessing where my bird is Foosy! It's on that corner ledge exactly where you pointed out. That ledge is about 3ft wide and it's right on it. Up 350ft off the ground. No way to get to it easily. But window washers will be there in two weeks and the maintenance guy said he thinks they can nab it for sure when they go up. So freaking stoked! I took my new P4 up and filmed it sitting on the ledge man! I'll post that at some point I guess. Tired of all the guys getting on my **** here though. LOL!

Reactions: Foosy
It is mind-boggling the number of people who simply can't help themselves & actually appear to derive some sense of pleasure by piling on, quoting rules,& "scolding" people. I'll add it's notable we rarely see anything of interest or significance when it comes to Phantom photos or videos posted by these folks.

What are the requirements for BVLOS these days to do it legally for non commercial? i read there was a BVLOS waver given by the FAA recently for a commercial company/operator, but how bout for hobby?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic