Just Lost My 1 Week old P4P Help Please

This is one of those frustrating cases where the flight record doesn't show exactly what caused the incident.
It gives us enough info to eliminate most of the usual suspects.
The battery appears to be fine, no obstacles or wind to worry about..
The flight record just ends with the Phantom approaching home, at 376 ft and descending under control.
The two possibilities that come to mind are hitting something (a bird or a wire ??) and dislodging the battery or a random hardware problem that cut off the power.
To get to the bottom of this mystery, the Phantom will have to be recovered and the internal flight data may show more.
At the last recorded position, it was making 30 mph, so if it lost power and fell, the momentum would have carried it further along the same line.
i-jVVzBxX-L.jpg

If it carried on for more than 100 ft, it may be in a pond.
My rough arithmetic suggests it would have ended up close to the arrowhead above.
It's not possible to calculate exactly which side of the edge it would have landed.
That Pond is just some run off from the Delaware River...The last image on the ground it looks to be surrounded by brush. Also was getting signal from Marco Polo tracker. Also I view the entire Death Spiral, didn't lose signal until it hit the ground. I was too high to have hit a tree or wire bird strike possible but never even a close call there in a year. If it was a bird I didn't see it nor did it look like it was hit..simply flying along with homepoint in the viewfinder and dropped from the sky. Not knowing what happened is the worst issue in that I think future flying I'll always be waiting for the bird to drop out of the sky. As I mentioned I've flown nearly everyday past year...with never even a close call of losing bird. Very disconcerting. Thanks for your reply.

Looking at the area I see no lines at that altitude. The data shows no abnormalities. My take is either it was shot at, battery fell out, bird strike, or some system power failure. However your shots show it near the surface with vegetation in view. At 30MPH velocity I would start near the areas I plotted out thinking of a Phantom type weight at given speed and height.

View attachment 84065 View attachment 84066
I have a Marco Polo and was getting 27% signal outside of the fence. I was close enough to hear a shot, no one around that area..I just hope with the marshy area I can make it to the bird.

This is terrible ,I don't know if I'd be able to wait till monday if I was you I'd be in the area now looking around trying to get access to the area even if it meant hopping a fence.
Well the fence is barbed wire with tons of No Trespassing signs. If I didn't think I could access Monday I'd be looking for alternative ways. I'm gonna fly over the location today and see if I see anything.

This is one of those frustrating cases where the flight record doesn't show exactly what caused the incident.
The flight record just ends with the Phantom approaching home, at 376 ft and descending under control.
The two possibilities that come to mind are hitting something (a bird or a wire ??) and dislodging the battery or a random hardware problem that cut off the power.
To get to the bottom of this mystery, the Phantom will have to be recovered and the internal flight data may show more.
At the last recorded position, it was making 30 mph, so if it lost power and fell, the momentum would have carried it further along the same line.
i-jVVzBxX-L.jpg

My rough arithmetic suggests it would have ended up close to the arrowhead above.
It's not possible to calculate exactly which side of the edge it would have landed.
If no reason for this can be found would DJI replace due to failure?

I am very sorry to hear about this. I would guess it's a thrown prop or motor failure - some kind of propulsion system failure. I hope you can retrieve it and it works out for you. This is every pilots nightmare. Let us know.

Reactions: bkushner
I can't speak for DJI but the way they generally work is that if the flight data shows it was a DJI fault, they will cover it.
My case is not showing their fault right? Also I assume you have to recover the drone? As you saw this was very close to hitting river, at that point any retrieval would be a mute point.

i-jVVzBxX-L.jpg

One other question @Meta4 if you don't mind, if you look at my screens above it's saying my distance was 4600 feet when in fact I was about 1300 feet which is confirmed in the data, what would cause the screen to report this?

I'm glad I have State Farm, if this ever happens to me at least I won't have to worry about retrieving it.
I just added my new I2 & X5S to the policy this past week.

Just a guess but is it possible the wind would be fast enough to flip it over ?
1497734130821.png

I'm glad I have State Farm, if this ever happens to me at least I won't have to worry about retrieving it.
I just added my new I2 & X5S to the policy this past week.
I see these constant notes about the home owners plan. A quick fact. Most home owners policies have a deductible. I keep mine at $1000 to keep the cost down. Also, if you make a claim, you will see an immediate increase in your policy rate. I had State Farm and after filing a no fault claim, my rate was increased as "I was either in an area or in a condition that increased my risk."

So, for all those who note the benefits of State Farm, look at your deductible, then find out what happens if a claim is filed.

DJI care and refresh has no deductible and is paid in advance. The problem is they need you to return the drone.

Reactions: KingDad1985
I see these constant notes about the home owners plan. A quick fact. Most home owners policies have a deductible. I keep mine at $1000 to keep the cost down. Also, if you make a claim, you will see an immediate increase in your policy rate. I had State Farm and after filing a no fault claim, my rate was increased as "I was either in an area or in a condition that increased my risk."

So, for all those who note the benefits of State Farm, look at your deductible, then find out what happens if a claim is filed.

DJI care and refresh has no deductible and is paid in advance. The problem is they need you to return the drone.
Well DJI Care does charge you $99 for each replacement on top of the $149 plan cost so in a way the $99 is a deductible.

I get so sick and tired of hearing people telling me my rates will go up!! I don't have anything but a PAP with State Farm covering my drone equipment, $60 a year and NO DEDUCTABLE! So before you chime in look into what you are trying to shoot down! And yes I have heard from enough people that even if I don't have State Farm and I file a claim my other insurance will go up. It might but State Farm writing me a check for the full cost of the drone and other equipment lost no question asked...It's a no brainer.

I get so sick and tired of hearing people telling me my rates will go up!! I don't have anything but a PAP with State Farm covering my drone equipment, $60 a year and NO DEDUCTABLE! So before you chime in look into what you are trying to shoot down! And yes I have heard from enough people that even if I don't have State Farm and I file a claim my other insurance will go up. It might but State Farm writing me a check for the full cost of the drone and other equipment lost no question asked...It's a no brainer.
I had the same policy on cameras. It will not cover repair so if drone breaks out of warranty it's on you. It will cover damage. Not sure if itcovered loss without return. Problem with that is everybody could call up and say my drone is gone and I essentially get a free drone for 60 bucks Let us know what your policy specifically says about loss thanks I think for $60 a combo of dji refresh and the State Farm personal articles policy could be a good one two punch if the latter covers loss with no evidence of loss.

Yup according to my agent it's just a phone call and tell them that you crash/lost/stolen and they cut a check. A bud was out flying his POS GOPRO Drone and it went head first into the bay. In three days he had a check for full cost of the Karma and went out and bought a Mavic the next day!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94