Just curious what antenna mod YOU are using.. feedback

To further answer your question concerning the cable's that come with the evo kit, they are just fine for as short as they are. I have crystal clear video with the maxxrange or itelite mounted to RC. Them being so short, the loss difference is very minimal. Plus, they have to make pretty sharp bends when the antenna is mounted directly to the RC. Don't worry.. you'll be satisfied. When/if you mount just the antenna to a tripod/mast, that's where you want to invest in LMR cable. Like Gram and everyone else has been saying, try your best to build your set-ups with the least amount of adaptors as possible. If your going from maxxrange antenna to an amp, (not with antenna mounted to RC) try to find a cable with male SMA to male RP-SMA, instead of getting a cable with N type fittings, and using adaptors. Get the correct ends to begin with. That = less loss. I'm trying to find those cables right now so I can mount my maxxrange only to the tripod or mast. Hope this helps.

This is exactly what I was looking for the other day.. If you search eBay for "LMR cable SMA" I found some cable LMR 400 I belive with the SMA ends on it. I'm thinking maybe just buy those instead if I can find the correct lengths cuz like you guys said the less connectors the less resistance and signal loss..

Thanks for the input guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biff, I don't know what antennas you are using, but I feel (from what I've read) you might not be using the correct types. Just "finding" a "antenna" won't have desired results, you need to have a antenna with the correct pattern/db value to suit your needs for this kind of flight.
Try looking at this type for starters:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Omni-directional-Antenna-connector-TL-ANT2408CL/dp/B004UBUE2O/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485011490&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=8db+wifi+antenna&th=1
I cant see the connector, but I belve the adapter to F would be this:
RP-SMA female:
https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Adapt...-3&keywords=RP-SMA+female+to+F+female+adapter

I was only asking about the fishbone style outdoor antenna cuz they are like 14-16dbi on eBay and pretty cheap, they are also a 2.4.. I was just curious if an antenna like this would work cuz it would be nice for the future to perminently mount and outdoor antenna to my house up high and hard wire it though my house for whever I wanna use it.. And would never have to worry about taking it down again.. Just search 2.4 fishbone antenna on google and eBay, you will see the ones I'm talking about.. Again I was j/q incase i ever wanted to perminently mount an antenna to my roof, how well they would work or IF those style antenna would even work.

Any of you ever tried out the fpvlr antennas off fpvlr.com? They are a non directional but supposedly get really amazing distances for not being a directional antenna. They are the coil type. Might try to bolt one of these to my controller some day along with my maxxuav evo kit and boosters. Feel like it would work awesome as well. Never really found much about these antennas on this forum and who uses them or not. Most the ppl here just use maxxuav antennas it seems or stock

Well yah I know that.. I was just wondering what type you bought like brand and I'm assuming you got them from Amazon? I just wanna make sure I get high quality adaptors with it. And will def use as least amount of adaptors as possible

This was my first wifi external (outside the house) antenna set I bought. (ignore the small length segments, it was cheaper this way):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VHDXSSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These got me out 4,500-8,000 ft (on a good day from my house, on a 20ft mast)

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
I was only asking about the fishbone style outdoor antenna cuz they are like 14-16dbi on eBay and pretty cheap, they are also a 2.4.. I was just curious if an antenna like this would work cuz it would be nice for the future to perminently mount and outdoor antenna to my house up high and hard wire it though my house for whever I wanna use it.. And would never have to worry about taking it down again.. Just search 2.4 fishbone antenna on google and eBay, you will see the ones I'm talking about.. Again I was j/q incase i ever wanted to perminently mount an antenna to my roof, how well they would work or IF those style antenna would even work.

Anything above 10db has a VERY, VERY, VERY narrow beam. It would work, but nearby you need to be within it's beam. and even further out... need to be within it's radious.

Reactions: JohnnyB
Any of you ever tried out the fpvlr antennas off fpvlr.com? They are a non directional but supposedly get really amazing distances for not being a directional antenna. They are the coil type. Might try to bolt one of these to my controller some day along with my maxxuav evo kit and boosters. Feel like it would work awesome as well. Never really found much about these antennas on this forum and who uses them or not. Most the ppl here just use maxxuav antennas it seems or stock

I use those. Considering Maxx type.......

20161127_145327.jpg

I even added .020 copper plate back plate

This is exactly what I was looking for the other day.. If you search eBay for "LMR cable SMA" I found some cable LMR 400 I belive with the SMA ends on it. I'm thinking maybe just buy those instead if I can find the correct lengths cuz like you guys said the less connectors the less resistance and signal loss..

Thanks for the input guys

If you DO find 400 series with sma connector ends.. make SURE of the center pin config!

These Portland people are seriously consistent... (putting LTX's under.... something) lol
Laughs.... In the rain... (scowls)

This was my first wifi external (outside the house) antenna set I bought. (ignore the small length segments, it was cheaper this way):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VHDXSSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These got me out 4,500-8,000 ft (on a good day from my house, on a 20ft mast)

Were you able to leave them out in the weather tho? Rain or snow? This is the only reason I was looking for a more outdoor weather proof antenna.. Just leave it up all year round.. When I wanna fly from inside my house just connect my hdmi cable to tv or goggles, thread on the two cable ends that will be run through the wall and go flying .. That's awesome range btw for those.. I expected a lot less. Amazing for the price

(Tempts Johnny Ky. for his maxx panels with a wood burned 6 string (modded pickup) rythm guitar signed by Elvis in his childhood house witnesses by the mother)

Were you able to leave them out in the weather tho? Rain or snow? This is the only reason I was looking for a more outdoor weather proof antenna.. Just leave it up all year round.. When I wanna fly from inside my house just connect my hdmi cable to tv or goggles, thread on the two cable ends that will be run through the wall and go flying .. That's awesome range btw for those.. I expected a lot less. Amazing for the price

I weather proofed them by slipping heat shrink tubing over the adjustable angle pivots and shrinking them shut.

I weather proofed them by slipping heat shrink tubing over the adjustable angle pivots and shrinking them shut.
Range may vary... I'm just stating what I got for a flight or two I made... looking for you tube link proof..

Heat shrink tubing over the antenna angle joints will be weather proof.

Anything above 10db has a VERY, VERY, VERY narrow beam. It would work, but nearby you need to be within it's beam. and even further out... need to be within it's radious.

This is true.. I forgot the basics .. Higher you go in power or Dbi the smaller the beam width..

So I guess my question is.. Do you guys feel that they work any better than say the maxxrange panel or the smaller panel? Or are these roughly the same but just a different design.. I thought the reason for the coils tho were to also allow for a larger beam width vs the panel style..

You said you got some pretty nice range out of those antennas you got off amazon gram.. What cable were you using and how many feet of it did you use when you got these distances you posted?

Also does it matter where your boosters are at? Is it best to have the boosters closer to the antenna end, or closer to the controller end? Or does it just not matter..

This is true.. I forgot the basics .. Higher you go in power or Dbi the smaller the beam width..

So I guess my question is.. Do you guys feel that they work any better than say the maxxrange panel or the smaller panel? Or are these roughly the same but just a different design.. I thought the reason for the coils tho were to also allow for a larger beam width vs the panel style..

You said you got some pretty nice range out of those antennas you got off amazon gram.. What cable were you using and how many feet of it did you use when you got these distances you posted?

Also does it matter where your boosters are at? Is it best to have the boosters closer to the antenna end, or closer to the controller end? Or does it just not matter..

1. check db (rules ALL)
2. 50ft/ RG-6 3 watt Sunhaus amps.
3. Amps at antenna= max performance (harder to do). My tests were amps at controller...

1. check db (rules ALL)
2. 50ft/ RG-6 3 watt Sunhaus amps.
3. Amps at antenna= max performance (harder to do). My tests were amps at controller...
All those tests were done on 15-20 ft. antenna mast (PVC pipe)

Maxxrange is very directional.. itelite is also directional.. but a wider beam.. the omni TP-link antenna Gram posted is all directional, 360° coverage, which is better for a house set-up. You'll be flying in all directions from the house. The panel antennas, (maxxrange and itelite) will out perform any omni "if" your always aiming towards the bird. See the difference now?

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka