It's Official.. Hobby/Recreational Drone/UAS Registration is now BACK!!

From Dave Mathewson (AMA executive director) found on a forum

'There is no requirement that a member be flying at an AMA chartered club field for AMA's general liability protection to be in place. As long as the member is flying on a site with the permission of the landowner the member is protected.'

I'd say that was pretty clear :)
Which brings up,what if its public property? i.e a park.

Which brings up,what if its public property? i.e a park.

Parks aren't 'public' property are they? In the UK they are owned and maintained by councils - yes, they allow public access but only if you agree to abide by their rules.

Parks aren't 'public' property are they? In the UK they are owned and maintained by councils - yes, they allow public access but only if you agree to abide by their rules.
Now that you mention it, I wonder about the US. Probably the same. Good point.

Reactions: andy_k
ACs don't register as models. Pilots fly and if they follow the rules for a model AC, their AC is a model AC for that flight. And as of four days ago, it must have a FA number on the AC somewhere.

An AC that is flown as Part 107 can be the same AC as the one that was flown as a model a half hour earlier. And vice versa.

How do I know this? Because the woman who was head of FAA UAS told me in an email when I asked her. She was very specific.

Edit: I found the email. She wrote in Nov., 2016:

A person could operate one flight under part 107 and another under part 101 using the same UAS. In this case, the UAS should be registered as a non-model aircraft because it is operated under part 107, at least part of the time.

Just be sure to clearly be operating in accordance with either part 107 or part 101 for the entirety of each flight. You cannot mix and match operational provisions.

She further clarified in a following email that the language in Sec 336 which states :

(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

refers only to the AC during that particular flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apilot101
Yup,

It's the intent of the flight, not the hardware.
Always has been, thus far.

It's already fiscal year 2018, isn't it?
The US governments fiscal year runs from October 1 of the budget's prior year through September 30 of the year being described. For example, the FY 2018 is from October 1, 2017, through September 30, 2018.

Just to be clear for those who are new to Part 101(Hobby) vs Part 107 (Civil which can be commercial) operations:

A Hobby Registration does not allow for Part 017 flights. Hobby is only hobby. If the aircraft is later determined it might fly in a Part 107 capacity it must be registered as such.

A Commercially registered aircraft can be flown for hobby or civil flights with no need for additional registration. The PIC decided which rules he/she wishes to fly under (101 vs 107) and the entire flight is conducted under those rules.

Reactions: sar104
Al, also worth mentioning... IF you exceed or violate any 101 requirement you default to 107 requirements.

There's no Grey area. You're either in one silo, category, column, etc... or the other.

Al, also worth mentioning... IF you exceed or violate any 101 requirement you default to 107 requirements.

There's no Grey area. You're either in one silo, category, column, etc... or the other.
Yes. The vast majority of hobbyists don't get this. There are even some Part 107 certified guys that don't get it.

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07

Yes. The vast majority of hobbyists don't get this. There are even some Part 107 certified guys that don't get it.

Very good point.

ALL sUAS flights are, by default, CIVIL which means they are Part 107. A small and very specific section was carved out within Part 107 called Part 101/Hobby operations. If EVERYTHING you do fits inside that very specific box you are flying under Part 101 specifics. But if you do anything, even the slightest of things that falls outside of that box then you are automatically operating in a Civil UAS operation and held accountable to those rules and regulations. Even if you don't know Part 107 rules etc you are still going to be held accountable to them by default.

Reactions: N017RW and sar104
Will the Men in Black come looking for you if some pics or video you took on a hobby flight winds up making some chump change four years later?

Will the Men in Black come looking for you if some pics or video you took on a hobby flight winds up making some chump change four years later?

Negative. So long as the flight was hobby and flown safely you're good to go. But if it comes to light that it happens over and over and over again your "I'm a hobbyist" plea becomes null & void.

Reactions: sar104
Negative. So long as the flight was hobby and flown safely you're good to go. But if it comes to light that it happens over and over and over again your "I'm a hobbyist" plea becomes null & void.
Thanks. That's a bit of a relief.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart