US FAA Registration

I don't think so. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help

How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with my unique registration number?
If you complete registration using the web-based registration process and satisfy the registration requirements, you may use a permanent marker, label, or engraving, as long as the number remains affixed to the aircraft during routine handling and all operating conditions and is readily accessible and legible upon close visual inspection. The number may also be enclosed in a compartment that is readily accessible, such as a battery compartment.

Now if you have an N number, then I think like a full size A/C, to be on the outside in as large as can be. I know the Inspires & Phantom's I pilot for a company under a 333 are like that. But they were paper registered to get that N number vs an FA number that I got for my own P3S that I registered on-line.
The first paragraph above relates to hobby aircraft. 14 CFR Part 45 states that the aircraft registration number on a rotorcraft must be displayed on both sides of the cabin, fuselage or boom of the aircraft. Size must as large as practical. Our Part 107 birds are considered to be aircraft and must be identified properly. Doesn't matter if the number is an FA or N number.

Still going to disagree. There is no mention of only hobby registration. The whole web page has mentions of hobby, 107 and 333. The title of the section is Registration and that is not a sub-section to anything nor is there a sub-section under it called out as hobby. Therefore it is for all web based registrations except as mentioned in the next paragraph from where I previous quoted, which says:

Requirements for marking unmanned aircraft registered in accordance with the legacy registration system can be found in 14 CFR Part 45, subpart C. Guidance material on aircraft marking requirements in Part 45 can be found in Advisory Circular No. 45-2E Identification and Registration Marking.

The key part I read is "legacy registration system". Since this is not the legacy paper system, but the new web based system, the rules of Part 45 subpart C do not apply to sUAS's registered via web. If for some reason you did use the paper based system, then yes 45(C) would apply.

The key part I read is "legacy registration system". Since this is not the legacy paper system, but the new web based system, the rules of Part 45 subpart C do not apply to sUAS's registered via web. If for some reason you did use the paper based system, then yes 45(C) would apply.

This is correct. If you use the "paper based system" (or any system that generated an N#) you must adhere to Part 45:c. I wasn't sure about this but got word back today this is correct. Basically:

A) If you are issued an FAA# (not N#) it has the same marking requirements of the hobby registration # (confused yet?). The aircraft HAS to be marked but it can be inside a compartment that is easily accessible with "common" readily available tools.

B) If you use the PAPER method or any other means and have a genuine N# you must follow Part 45:c and mark the aircraft externally, on TWO sides, and in clear legible letters are large as is possible.

Okay, what if the serial number of your drone changes? How do you either change the FAA registration, or cancel the registration.

You know....like if DJI sends you a replacement, instead of just fixing your drone, for which you've paid the itemized bill for parts and labor, then doesn't tell you about it, and just lets you fly around an illegal unregistered drone, while risking your commercial pilot's license, that you rely on to feed and house your family. So, you know.....if that happens, how do you cancel the registration on the other drone, before they send it to some [Language Removed], that crashes it thru a school bus window and hurts a bunch of kids, then takes off leaving just a drone, with a registered serial number in your name.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the FAA registration site, it appears that you can edit the serial number on your registered drones. You could also just delete a drone from your inventory and then just register the new one. You would have to pay $5 again if you did this.

Note, of course, that this only applies to "Non-Hobby" registration.

BTW, not sure why posting with foul language is necessary.

how do you cancel the registration on the other drone, before they send it to some asshat

Yeah, I had to do this.

It's on the FAA website where you register. You actually make an account and then add / delete UAV's as needed. Free to delete, $5 to add one. I'm talking commercial, hot hobby as that's the only type I've done.

On the FAA registration site, it appears that you can edit the serial number on your registered drones

You can only edit it for a small length of time after the initial registration. BTDT -- after DJI first insisted that they could take care of it (changing SN#), then after finding they cannot, DJI again insisted that the FAA would change it, if asked. Nope. :)

I am getting ready to buy a well kept drone that is currently registered with the FAA. Does anyone know the process for either transferring the registration or de-registration and re-registration in my name?

I am getting ready to buy a well kept drone that is currently registered with the FAA. Does anyone know the process for either transferring the registration or de-registration and re-registration in my name?
There's no "transferring" of the registration.

If the previous owner was registered under Part 336 (hobby), then you just need to register yourself (if you are not already registered) and put your FAA number on it.

If the previous owner was registered under Part 107 (non hobby), then they should log into their account and delete the drone from their account. Then you should put your FAA number on it.

In either situation, if you are registering under Part 107, then you will need to register the indvidual drone with its serial number and then put the device specific FAA registration number it.

^^^^^ Nailed it :)

The only caveat is if they used the paper route (an actual N#) then you'll have to do a regular transfer of ownership just like a manned aircraft does. If they did this you'll need to call your FSDO and get them to send you the proper paperwork to do this and you'll need to visit a NOTARY as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31