Its going back.............

The advertised benefit is that you simply point the drone at the place you want to be. Tap where you want it to go. It flies straight there but uses its sensors to avoid or go around obstacles in its way. Mine does this to obstacles in front but seems to do the opposite at the sides. It heads for rather than avoids. Personally I dont really have that much use for Tap Fly but if I find a use for it in the future? Not only that if I ever sell it later I would like all the functions to work as they should. I would never sell anything that was broken. After all these are not cheap toys and 'you get what you pay for'. If this is malfunctioning when new what other things might I discover down the line? If I decide now 'who needs side sensors anyway or the other new bits' I could have just stuck with or go out and buy the P3P which worked really well for me. It is nice having the better camera and range but if I buy something I would like it to work as it should.

The main problem seems to be the Go App. Unfortunately, according to DJI Techs, you cannot replace it on the Plus version.
You can do the same exact thing by just pushing stick forward too. And as the last poster said your side sensors only work in Beginner or Tripod Mode. I'm not saying that your bird is performing correctly however. It should fly straight or near straight with Tap & Fly. I just dont really see a use for this still though. I like to fly mine on simple stuff especially. Def not criticizing just trying to learn man.

You can do the same exact thing by just pushing stick forward too. And as the last poster said your side sensors only work in Beginner or Tripod Mode. I'm not saying that your bird is performing correctly however. It should fly straight or near straight with Tap & Fly. I just dont really see a use for this still though. I like to fly mine on simple stuff especially. Def not criticizing just trying to learn man.
Seemingly tap to fly is causing considerable grief for some, particularly on the P4P+.

I'm sure we all would benefit from DJI making open statements about known issues and providing some timeframe on suspected resolution (app or firmware update). A little communication would save a lot if anxiety. As the OP has said it is a reasonable expaectation that all features work as advertised- to the extent they might not, as is typical with a new product or feature, we should be kept informed of what the status is.

Last edited:
Side sensors don't work in tap fly - only in beginner and tripod modes

Correct. It states this in the manual.

If it moved sideways, it may have thought it sensed something in front of it and adjusted its course to avoid it. This has happened to me a few times because I was flying into the sun later in the day and at the right (wrong) angle, it falsely detects the sun as an object and wants to avoid it as such, so it would stop the drone. If I want to get shots flying towards the sun, I disable the OA.

There's multiple threads on this problem here, and people who have had issues with false positives of objects in general.

I wonder if your sensors are defective, if you weren't flying towards the sun and it was happening. I've had my P4P for 6 months and never had issues other then the sun thing, which is just something we have to deal with. They even state in the manual, flying towards the sun can cause false object sensing, or something to that effect.

I think you should get a replacement and give it another chance. It really is an amazing machine.

Mines went in for a gimbal grind and horizon shift 4 weeks ago. Got it back Tuesday and the same fault is still there but now the camera points to the left and there's cracks on the legs at the inspection caps near the top of the legs. 9 mails over 4 days and they have agreed firstly a battery as compensation and now a new unit of the fault is present on return. Now been waiting 2 days for a packing label even though a case number was risen while I was in online chat. I'm now sending the photographs and video evidence of the fault by email and also time stamped pictures of the drone condition the day it was returned with zero damage. Demanding immediate dispatch of the new drone and they can't collect the damaged faulty one at their leisure, not mine. P4P

I have a PP4 , a P3 standard and a Mavic. If the drone is acting as you say, then it must be a lemon and you really should give it 1 more try and exchange the one you have for a new one before you quit flying. Majority of the people who get these drones are novices ( like I once was .... lol... maybe still am) and it's not always roses the first few times. But again, from what you said, I would take the advice as others gave you and try to exchange it

Hmmm it could have been the sun. Except if you look upon the nose of the aircraft being 12 o clock then the sun would have been at its 4 o clock. Thinking about it more the sensors must have been wrong as it tended to head into rather than away from trouble. The trees where to the left of the drone. The sun was behind and to the right. Could it have been avoiding shadows?

Anyway its academic. The drone is on its way back as I type and the replacement is on its way.

Thanks for the replies guys. They have been very interesting and well informed.:)

That's weird considering that is a P4. I have a phantom 3 standard with 40 flights and still rock solid with no issues. I am wondering if your phantom is a defective product. You may able to exchange it.
It has to be defective. Don't give up on it. I just got mine this month as well. So far I'm about 15 flights in. The best money I've spent in myself I'd say.

Just a suggestion from 20 years as a technican, put the drone in a verifiable situation, as next to a building or some solid wall manually check all obstical avoidance sensors by SLOWLY flying the AC toward it. After that progressively make the same test with less dense targets, possibly trying other modes in the prosess.
I would also advise anyone, regardless of, and making no aspersions to their abilities to check a problem against the manual and all sources of info on the mode they are using. I have found many answers and fixes this way.
Hope that is of some help. This is a great forum to find helpful answers to a highly technical, poorly documented, world class toy! Please post back your findings Frank.
GL Steve

Mines went in for a gimbal grind and horizon shift 4 weeks ago. Got it back Tuesday and the same fault is still there but now the camera points to the left and there's cracks on the legs at the inspection caps near the top of the legs. 9 mails over 4 days and they have agreed firstly a battery as compensation and now a new unit of the fault is present on return. Now been waiting 2 days for a packing label even though a case number was risen while I was in online chat. I'm now sending the photographs and video evidence of the fault by email and also time stamped pictures of the drone condition the day it was returned with zero damage. Demanding immediate dispatch of the new drone and they can't collect the damaged faulty one at their leisure, not mine. P4P
LOL, DJI does not care about your demands. o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus