Its going back.............

Reaction score
I have had my drone for 10 days now. More than once its sort of gone out of control and frankly I have lost confidence in it. I am on first name terms with the chap at DJI now as we have exchanged so many emails but tonights experience was the last straw so to speak.

Did a Tap Fly tonight and instead of avoiding the trees it seemed to alter course to head for them. The front sensors seem to be working ok as when the drone went into the tree branches it stopped and hovered. I was able to raise the drone out of the tree via the controls. Its a real pity the record button also did not work as it would have been good footage.

As a gardening tool it is great. I have used it, unintentionally, as a strimmer and a tree pruner.

So its going back.

So return requested and the next job is to pack it all back up to send back. Real shame. I was looking forward to this drone. :(

That's weird considering that is a P4. I have a phantom 3 standard with 40 flights and still rock solid with no issues. I am wondering if your phantom is a defective product. You may able to exchange it.

I had a P3P before this and like you no problems. If I were a complete novice then perhaps I would blame the controller (me) But this hobby is supposed to be fun and been made easier by the latest developments. Instead I have to watch the drone like a hawk and try and regain control in a few seconds when it decides to do its own thing.

Yesterday I thought I had cracked it. In tap fly mode it headed for a tree and on sensing it it rose. It went up, over, then down again. Great I thought. However on the other side was another tree and it got VERY close to the left side but it kept on going towards that side. I managed to push the stick up quickly to avoid a crash, a blade cut through a leaf it was that close.

Reactions: macoman
I have had my drone for 10 days now. More than once its sort of gone out of control and frankly I have lost confidence in it. I am on first name terms with the chap at DJI now as we have exchanged so many emails but tonights experience was the last straw so to speak.

Did a Tap Fly tonight and instead of avoiding the trees it seemed to alter course to head for them. The front sensors seem to be working ok as when the drone went into the tree branches it stopped and hovered. I was able to raise the drone out of the tree via the controls. Its a real pity the record button also did not work as it would have been good footage.

As a gardening tool it is great. I have used it, unintentionally, as a strimmer and a tree pruner.

So its going back.

So return requested and the next job is to pack it all back up to send back. Real shame. I was looking forward to this drone. :(
Hopefully you'll get it back from DJI before the P5 is released.

I had a P3P before this and like you no problems. If I were a complete novice then perhaps I would blame the controller (me) But this hobby is supposed to be fun and been made easier by the latest developments. Instead I have to watch the drone like a hawk and try and regain control in a few seconds when it decides to do its own thing.

Yesterday I thought I had cracked it. In tap fly mode it headed for a tree and on sensing it it rose. It went up, over, then down again. Great I thought. However on the other side was another tree and it got VERY close to the left side but it kept on going towards that side. I managed to push the stick up quickly to avoid a crash, a blade cut through a leaf it was that close.
I would say you are a novice with Tap and Fly, right? I'm not sure why anyone would use that feature, but then again I've never tried it. Based on the concept, I don't need it, or want it.

From what you have informed us of the issue it is likely you may need to modify your expectations. It is well known that OA may not perform as you might hope with certain obstacles, fine tree branches are well known to not be detected reliably. In any case you should think of OA as a feature that might save you from pilot error rather than relying on it.

I suspect there is nothing wrong with the AC.

If you are new to this hobby I would suggest finding an obstacle free open area where you can hone your orientation and basic control skills. Familiarity with the performance characteristics of the AC (including RTH operation and behaviour) will serve you well. I would avoid TAP to Fly or any other automated flight modes until you have the basics down.

If you are new to this hobby I would suggest finding an obstacle free open area where you can hone your orientation and basic control skills. Familiarity with the performance characteristics of the AC (including RTH operation and behaviour) will serve you well. I would avoid TAP to Fly or any other automated flight modes until you have the basics down.

You obviously do not know me or my circumstances at all. I had a P3P since they first came out and only got rid of it last year in anticipation of the P4P Pro. I could fly the P3P through the narrowest of gaps and probably more proficient than yourself flying a drone. Have managed to get some great footage. So I know what I am doing.

8 or emails have passed between myself and DJI regarding this. Even they acknowledge there is something wrong with the drone or its software. If you take the time to read other members postings you will see I am not the only one having these problems. It is DJI technicians who recommend sending it back. However as it is not that old I can return it to Amazon and get a refund. Which is what I am going to do.

As for "Pilot error for sure" how can you be sure? You were not there. You are just surmising and guessing.

According to DJI's own sales pitch "TapFly means you can fly in any direction with a tap of the finger, without a remote controller. With Obstacle Avoidance turned on, the aircraft will automatically avoid obstacles, slow down or hover when required " NOT spot a tree and fly into it.

This is the area where I was flying, from left to right in that photo. The line denotes where I was flying. I set tap fly to go along that line but it went wildly left and in to those trees. It is just such a darn shame that the video did not record it. Not exactly a crowded city street is it? It may not look it from this height but the tree it went into did not consist of "fine branches" but branches the thickness of an arm. I was lucky I did not wreck the aircraft.

Before you say it........... yes the compass was calbrated, the IMU etc and it had the latest firmware. I have flown loads of times there with no interference problems.

Last edited:
You obviously do not know me or my circumstances at all. I had a P3P since they first came out and only got rid of it last year in anticipation of the P4P Pro. I could fly the P3P through the narrowest of gaps and probably more proficient than yourself flying a drone. Have managed to get some great footage. So I know what I am doing.

8 or emails have passed between myself and DJI regarding this. Even they acknowledge there is something wrong with the drone or its software. If you take the time to read other members postings you will see I am not the only one having these problems. It is DJI technicians who recommend sending it back. However as it is not that old I can return it to Amazon and get a refund. Which is what I am going to do.

As for "Pilot error for sure" how can you be sure? You were not there. You are just surmising and guessing. If you read the DJI sales pitch its like handing over

According to DJI's own sales pitch "TapFly means you can fly in any direction with a tap of the finger, without a remote controller. With Obstacle Avoidance turned on, the aircraft will automatically avoid obstacles, slow down or hover when required " NOT spot a tree and fly into it.

This is the area where I was flying, from left to right in that photo. The line denotes where I was flying. I set tap fly to go along that line but it went wildly left and in to those trees. It is just such a darn shame that the video did not record it. Not exactly a crowded city street is it? It may not look it from this height but the tree it went into did not consist of "fine branches" but branches the thickness of an arm. I was lucky I did not wreck the aircraft.
imagen
Given my opening comment was "if your new to this hobby" it should be clear I hadn't presumed anything with respect to your knowledge, experience or competence. You may well be a more proficient pilot than I am,

I certainly didn't call pilot error on your part so we might leave the pointless irrelavent comparisons out of it if it's ok with you.

My suggestion was (in an earlier response), and I stand by it, OA should not be relied on to keep your AC out of harms way. Simple.

I did offer some advice that may have helped should it have been the case that you were new to the hobby however it seems you don't need it.

Reactions: Ben01

As for "Pilot error for sure" how can you be sure? You were not there. You are just surmising and guessing.

Before you say it........... yes the compass was calbrated, the IMU etc and it had the latest firmware. I have flown loads of times there with no interference problems.
Wow very unlucky looks simple flight to,you would have to upload or look at your flight data so someone look at what cause,can't say I have used tap and fly I not trust,dji gave me big headache so litchi now

Problems with tap and fly could just as easily be a problem with the app or the tablet/phone. I use an ATT tablet that's not on the DJI recommended list. Seems to work perfect, but I acknowledge I'm taking a risk using it.

Hate to hear your misfortune with your first P4P man! I'm just curious. Why do you use the Tap Fly Mode? I have never ever had any use for it tbo. Would love to know what it's benefit is.

The advertised benefit is that you simply point the drone at the place you want to be. Tap where you want it to go. It flies straight there but uses its sensors to avoid or go around obstacles in its way. Mine does this to obstacles in front but seems to do the opposite at the sides. It heads for rather than avoids. Personally I dont really have that much use for Tap Fly but if I find a use for it in the future? Not only that if I ever sell it later I would like all the functions to work as they should. I would never sell anything that was broken. After all these are not cheap toys and 'you get what you pay for'. If this is malfunctioning when new what other things might I discover down the line? If I decide now 'who needs side sensors anyway or the other new bits' I could have just stuck with or go out and buy the P3P which worked really well for me. It is nice having the better camera and range but if I buy something I would like it to work as it should.

The main problem seems to be the Go App. Unfortunately, according to DJI Techs, you cannot replace it on the Plus version.

If you can get the chlorophyll stains off it and return for a refund your probably best going with the non + version. Will likely be a lot less headaches.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT