Is it ok to keep the drone inside a car?

Reaction score
It's probably a dumb question, but still wanted to ask the more experienced pilots here.

I often bring my drone to work with me (in its grey foam case - awaiting my Case Club case) but don't take it inside the office. I don't want to be asked what I'm bringing inside the office so I just leave it in my car. I try to fly it during my lunch hour, if work permits. Fortunately weather has been in 60s and don't believe my P4P will be affected by weather conditions.

Do any of you keep the drone in the car? If yes, is it ok? As a safety point of view, I have no worries. I can visually see my car and we have 24 hours live security guards.

If you feel it is safe or secure than the main issue would be temp extremes.

There is a slight risk of compass gaussing if brought near large speakers.

Thank you for your response. Yes, it is safe and secure but temperature would be my concern as well..

I tried to keep mine in the vehicle for months (to be ready to fly anytime), but with the temp requirements enforced by firmware updates, that's hard to do in the Winter.
Also, I decided to be careful about advertising the fact that I am a pilot for fear my vehicle would become a target. (Ie, no DJI bumper stickers for me...)
I, too, have the Case Club for my P4P+, best case I've ever owned.

On DJI website, operating temperature states 32° to 104° F but what about storing temperature?

I know my black SUV gets up to 130 in the Summer heat, never been an issue but it might be over a long time.

Reactions: joonrhee
Trunk would be safer temp wise. but a screen for window can't hurt. The dashboard is what heats up and cooks the insides.
My beetle sitting right beside my other cars is fine to get into becasue it has no dashboard, while the others are ovens in summer.

On DJI website, operating temperature states 32° to 104° F but what about storing temperature?
Per the Battery Safety Guidelines:
"DO NOT leave the batteries inside of a vehicle on hot days. The ideal storage temperature is 22°C-28°C (71°F-82°F)."

I had an issue with one of my batteries swelling inside my P3 and I still consider myself lucky that the the bird, car and all didn't go up in flames. Watch the high vehicle temps!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I personally won't leave my UASs inside my trunk unless I have a job coming up. For example I just walked down and put the P4P+ and batteries in the trunk for a job I have tomorrow morning. I try not to leave it in the car for more than 24 hours unused.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z