Is drone base a scam?!

Reaction score
So I was scrolling through the reviews on drone base and came across an interesting review... I'm a little worried now because drone base ask for bank info for direct deposit and I flew 9 missions today and haven't been paid yet. Can anyone confirm this isn't a scam or how it works!!!
382d21f56232280056f0cd81eebdf7f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So, here's my experience. I've done 12 missions so far and been paid for 6. The other 6 are pending. What thy do is give you a map of properties you choose which you want to photograph, you upload the pics to them and they try to sell them and then split the payment with you. They try to sell them to realtors and data collection companies. So far all of mine have only sold to data companies. It's less than 10 minutes per property, $19 pay if sold to data and more if sold to realtors. They're legit and you won't get rich but it's good to do if you want to use your drone to pay for accessories, batteries etc. I got paid for 6 at $19 a peice= $114 bought a P4 battery and a windsurfer for less than an hour work.
Some properties are sold or no longer on the market but you can easily check on zillow or a site like that before you go out.
If you want an excuse to go fly and potentially make some beer money it's not bad.

Last edited:
Drone Base is not a scam. I've been payed over 1k since I've joined.

Awesome thanks for the response guys! I flew 6 yesterday so far one has been accepted and one was rejected for some reason the pictures didn't stick right went to fast with it. The other 4 are still pending.

The biggest scam about dronebase that I can tell is that they're only paying ~$20 per mission for a professional pilot and hundreds or thousands of dollars of eqiupment that flies through the air

So, here's my experience. I've done 12 missions so far and been paid for 6. The other 6 are pending. What thy do is give you a map of properties you choose which you want to photograph, you upload the pics to them and they try to sell them and then split the payment with you. They try to sell them to realtors and data collection companies. So far all of mine have only sold to data companies. It's less than 10 minutes per property, $19 pay if sold to data and more if sold to realtors. They're legit and you won't get rich but it's good to do if you want to use your drone to pay for accessories, batteries etc. I got paid for 6 at $19 a peice= $114 bought a P4 battery and a windsurfer for less than an hour work.
Some properties are sold or no longer on the market but you can easily check on zillow or a site like that before you go out.
If you want an excuse to go fly and potentially make some beer money it's not bad.

Sounds like it's working for you, not sure that there are enough commercially interesting properties in my are to make it work for me. But as an aside, don't forget that once you start making $$ as a pilot, you're in business and dear old Uncle Sam is going to want his cut! Since in arrangements like with DroneBase, to are an independent contractor, you are responsible for the employer's portion of FICA as well as all the other taxes you usually pay. And there may be additional state or local taxes that come into play. In my state, in total almost $.40 of every dollar I make goes to taxes! No, you are unlikely to get 'caught' if you don't report the income, but you can bet that DB will be reporting that they paid you (deducting it reduces their taxes), so there will be a record of it somewhere. The same goes for other income such as from local realtors and other types of jobs. On the flip side, as a business, expenses such as mileage, license fees, even the cost of your bird and supplies can be deducted. I personally 'bill' and buy everything through my LLC. Even my birds are registered to it.

Sounds like it's working for you, not sure that there are enough commercially interesting properties in my are to make it work for me. But as an aside, don't forget that once you start making $$ as a pilot, you're in business and dear old Uncle Sam is going to want his cut! Since in arrangements like with DroneBase, to are an independent contractor, you are responsible for the employer's portion of FICA as well as all the other taxes you usually pay. And there may be additional state or local taxes that come into play. In my state, in total almost $.40 of every dollar I make goes to taxes! No, you are unlikely to get 'caught' if you don't report the income, but you can bet that DB will be reporting that they paid you (deducting it reduces their taxes), so there will be a record of it somewhere. The same goes for other income such as from local realtors and other types of jobs. On the flip side, as a business, expenses such as mileage, license fees, even the cost of your bird and supplies can be deducted. I personally 'bill' and buy everything through my LLC. Even my birds are registered to it.

40%!!!! How does one live self employed?

Anyway, all of use who made over 600 (or whatever the limit is) received a 1099. I got mine, taxes all ready done!

Are you required to have the part 107 certification to legally participate with drone base?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyway, all of use who made over 600 (or whatever the limit is) received a 1099. I got mine, taxes all ready done!
Interesting, so DB took out withholding and FICA from your gross? That's not bad, since they should bepaying the employers portion of FICA!

Are you required to have the part 107 certification to legally participate with drone base?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In a word, Yes!

Taxes, other expenses, etc. are all figured in when I set my hourly rates. Ok, if they sent you a 1099 (that's what I usually get from the customers for my LLC, too). the numbers there are what you report. and since they sent you the form, they will be reporting it to the IRS too.

$19 sounds ridiculously cheap. Liability alone from someone like Verifly is going to be $10. Wear and tear on gear. Gas to and from the location. My time. Personally I'd be inclined to take some initiative and approach real estate agents directly. In my area $150 for a shoot with some basic stills is a baseline for residential. Commercial is in the neighborhood of $500. I've run into the same issue in my photography business. There will always be people willing to give away their time and service but they typically don't last long. Then there are those who understand what their work is worth and demand fair compensation. Don't sell yourself short. IMHO $19 is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Bckmstr
$19 sounds ridiculously cheap. Liability alone from someone like Verifly is going to be $10. Wear and tear on gear. Gas to and from the location. My time. Personally I'd be inclined to take some initiative and approach real estate agents directly. In my area $150 for a shoot with some basic stills is a baseline for residential. Commercial is in the neighborhood of $500. I've run into the same issue in my photography business. There will always be people willing to give away their time and service but they typically don't last long. Then there are those who understand what their work is worth and demand fair compensation. Don't sell yourself short. IMHO $19 is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Your forgetting about marketing, editing, and debt collection, which in most cases is 80% of the work. These missions take about ten mins total to complete, and they are abundant. You can average 3-4 missions per hr and $19 is the lowest payout. Some properties are guaranteed payouts and they pay $25. Not only do you get paid for pano missions, you also have the chance of being hired for a client mission.

Your right about Verifly liability. If you guys are using Verifly to insure DB missions, your going broke.

I've been flying for DB since mid November. January was super slow due to the weather, but it's getting better lately. I shot 11 missions last Friday after work:)

If your just getting started or need practice to get proficient enough to charge a professional fee I can see doing a few. You may be able to knock out 3 or 4 but you still need to account for travel to and from each location. As to editing, it's not difficult to do a quick edit in iMovie. After doing a dozen it's a 15-20 minute affair. Collections are a practiced art. I don't release any media until I've been paid unless I have a very good relationship with the client. 50% deposit and balance paid before download/ delivery. I allow clients to view a watermarked version online. I understand not everyone is going to have the drive to do this type of work and some are just looking for a few bucks to purchase gear. If that's your motivation that's great. Do your thing. For someone like myself I make and effort to interact with every real estate agent personally so that I have an opportunity to get any business they may have in the future. While I'm shooting homes and the nosy neighbors come out I'm trying to find out if they need family portraits done, a wedding filmed or any number of photography services I provide.

To me I guess I look at it as leaving a lot of money on the table at $19. If you shoot 4 a day and get $25 for a pano you've made $100 less expenses. Shoot those same 4, spend 2 hours editing and posting and emailing an invoice and you've made $600 less expenses. Once you've done this a few times it becomes very easy to put in a little more effort for a far better payday. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the folks doing this. I just think it's important realize the potential our equipment has to earn. If you've made the effort to get your 107, purchase a quality piece of gear, put the stick time into becoming a proficient pilot you are worth more than that $19.

I love it because I love to fly. Nothing like hiking up a mountain, launching with my mavic and knocking out 5 panos in the neighborhood below. I got my flight time, a nice walk, and probably will get paid for it too!

Reactions: MTO
Do you need a business name etc for yourself to do this or will a part 107 suffice?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1