Is drone base a scam?!

So I was scrolling through the reviews on drone base and came across an interesting review... I'm a little worried now because drone base ask for bank info for direct deposit and I flew 9 missions today and haven't been paid yet. Can anyone confirm this isn't a scam or how it works!!!
382d21f56232280056f0cd81eebdf7f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sorry to disappoint some of the naysayers, but this isn't a scam. I have been working with them since Jan 28, 2017. I have earned just shy of $800 so far (in 5 weeks). I have done about 15 commercial/residential pano missions (about 10-12 minutes flying per mission and been paid for 10 of them. You don't get paid for them just because you did them. You will get paid only if somebody buys them. I have also been contacted directly to fly 4 separate client missions. These are missions that a customer has contacted Dronebase about directly. These, so far, have paid between $125 (mission took just under 30 minutes and was 10 minutes from my house) to $250 per mission (this one was 45 minutes from my house and took 50 minutes to fly.

If I take into account all my shooting and drive time so far I have been earning just over $75/hour working with them. I am not going to quit my day job, but it more than pays a couple of bills and/or puts money into savings. It also gives me a lot of experience on the photo/video shooting side of the game (already have the flying as I have flown RC helicopters for over 5 years. the ones that cost more than an inspire, not the christmas toy ones).

By the way, I have 2 additional client missions scheduled over the next 6 days as well. A lot will depend upon your area. In fact, one of the client jobs I got was from shooting a house that was just off the market. They contacted the realtor and while he didn't want to buy that one, he hired them for one the client missions I will be doing early next week for $150.

But what about the legal issues? Youre taking pictures of people's houses with no permission.

When did you sign the permission slip for Google? You are not taking pictures that are any more detailed or invasive than Google. I fly 100ft high over the sidewalk across the street (for distance) or further back if there is a field or open space. The front shots are all flown from the same plane, but just a lower altitude. If people are in the yard mowing, playing, etd I don't shoot it. Houses are best to shoot during the week (most people at work) and I shoot businesses on Saturday or Sunday when they are close. That way I am not invasive to things they might have going on. If it appears that somebody is home then I walk up to the door, knock and introduce myself. "Hello, my name is ...., I am an independent contractor working for a company called Dronebase. We shoot aerial photos of houses that are for sale to market them to the real estate agent. You you have any problems with me shooting your house for about the next 10 minutes." I have only had 6 people home out of the 15 I have shot so far and not one of them said no. In fact, 3 of them were very curious and asked if they could watch. They really enjoyed learning about the technology.

When did you sign the permission slip for Google? You are not taking pictures that are any more detailed or invasive than Google. I fly 100ft high over the sidewalk across the street (for distance) or further back if there is a field or open space. The front shots are all flown from the same plane, but just a lower altitude. If people are in the yard mowing, playing, etd I don't shoot it. Houses are best to shoot during the week (most people at work) and I shoot businesses on Saturday or Sunday when they are close. That way I am not invasive to things they might have going on. If it appears that somebody is home then I walk up to the door, knock and introduce myself. "Hello, my name is ...., I am an independent contractor working for a company called Dronebase. We shoot aerial photos of houses that are for sale to market them to the real estate agent. You you have any problems with me shooting your house for about the next 10 minutes." I have only had 6 people home out of the 15 I have shot so far and not one of them said no. In fact, 3 of them were very curious and asked if they could watch. They really enjoyed learning about the technology.

That's good to know, but plenty of us have encountered anti-drone psychos in the course of our flying and are a bit too wary to go flying over and photograph residential property - which is totally different than Google driving by on the street.

Last edited:
Google drives by and takes photos for money.

They are not photographing for free.

The biggest issue I have with DB and why I haven't even attempted it is that it's a legal issue waiting to happen. You're shooting occupied residential structures without authorization. First one to post in this thread that they got arrested wins.
Real estate appraisers shoot occupied residences without permission all the time for comparable sales photos.

Reactions: jayeverts
Real estate appraisers shoot occupied residences without permission all the time for comparable sales photos.

You can talk about what people do or try to make comparisons all you want, but anti-drone hysteria isn't rational or logically, so trying to make rational or logical arguments is futile.

I've done missions for DB, done 20 total and was paid for 13 all have passed the stitching process.
So, I'm in question as to why they haven't sold. I haven't received any client missions, and honestly will probably stop because I question if it's worth it....but if your willing to do, I usually try to look as legit as possible...

Tips:
Where a lanyard with your part 107 license and reg in it.

Make sure there is a sign up in front of the property or ( and this is the big one) check zillow to see if house is up for sale or still up for sale.

If there is anyone in front, I just passed them up
I only do mission around my neighborhood or work.

If you do the math I'm at $13 per pic for the 20 total pictures I've taken, complete low ball... reason why I've stopped doing them.

Much rather connect with Realitors and pitch them my work...but that's JMO... I just don't think it's worth it

I just signed up. Is it worth it for a reason to fly and make a little cash. Or not worth it because i could make more doing it for someone else or another drone company?

I've done missions for DB, done 20 total and was paid for 13 all have passed the stitching process.
So, I'm in question as to why they haven't sold. I haven't received any client missions, and honestly will probably stop because I question if it's worth it....but if your willing to do, I usually try to look as legit as possible...

Tips:
Where a lanyard with your part 107 license and reg in it.

Make sure there is a sign up in front of the property or ( and this is the big one) check zillow to see if house is up for sale or still up for sale.

If there is anyone in front, I just passed them up
I only do mission around my neighborhood or work.

If you do the math I'm at $13 per pic for the 20 total pictures I've taken, complete low ball... reason why I've stopped doing them.

Much rather connect with Realitors and pitch them my work...but that's JMO... I just don't think it's worth it
They haven't all sold just like every realtor won't want/need your services. Some don't eat it, some might have already sold the jlhouse, etc. Upload doesn't equal sold.

As far as the pay, it isn't enough to live off, no, but is good experience and can be enough to fund somebody trying g to get a little on the side and/or simply pay off their gear. A lot depends on your area. I have flown 19 missions (pano] and 4 client missions in my area overy the last 6 weeks. I am at just under $1000.

Oh, and at an average of 10 minutes a job (what it takes most) your $13/job is more like $74/hour. Not bad for playing around.

Again, a lot will depend on your area too.

I've been signed up for about a week and have only done 6 panos and got paid for 3. I only got my 107 to take photos for my wife's real estate listings so I do it for fun and $57.00 for less than an hours total work (6 missions) isn't too bad for fun and all that I've done have been on my way home from work. I'm definitely going to keep it up. Plus now with the new app update you upload the pictures from the app, so easy and fun! I just wish that they had shirts or hats with the DroneBase logo so it seem more professional.

Reactions: Helihover
Oh, and at an average of 10 minutes a job (what it takes most) your $13/job is more like $74/hour. Not bad for playing around.
Only if you consider that your gas driving there and time spent, and wear and tear on your equipment is worth absolutely $0. I'd say the OP is closer than you are.

Only if you consider that your gas driving there and time spent, and wear and tear on your equipment is worth absolutely $0. I'd say the OP is closer than you are.

Considering I shoot jobs on my way to and from places I am going then the fuel is a zero cost snice it was getting used either way. Yes, the wear and tear on my equipment is worth something g. I am overy $1200 now in 8 weeks. I just completed another commercial job this weekend. Took me 20 minutes to shoot for $100. Again, it does depend a lot on where you are. I sell my basic Panos at a rate that is right around 60%. I, however do.requested commercial jobs quite often. Some areas have few, if any.of those.

Reactions: Weinersnitzelz
That makes you the only person in this thread that has made any real money with drone base.

Not real money. I will say the some of the jobs I got were from them seein my previous work. One of the clients told me he had seen a residential pan somebody did on one of his houses (that was already in closing) and that caused to inquire about what else they could do. I was the one that shot the pano. 2 weeks later I was shooting a ommercial shopping center (for him) for $250 (via dronebase) just because the PA os don't sell dosent mean they aren't working for you. You have to get out there and this gives you a way to practice and make a few bucks too.

Besides, the op wasn't asking about how much as he was about it being a scam. Just like anything, you get out what you put in, but it has a dose of location, location, location too. I live in an area with a healthy, and good flowing, real estate business. It is not like that everywhere.

Reactions: Weinersnitzelz
I looked through a bunch of commercial panos in my area and found one that was marked with higher probability of payout and in an area I felt comfortable flying. However, the pano stitched together like garbage. There IS sufficient overlap, but for whatever reason the horizontal shots stitched on upside down and 90 degrees off. I emailed dronebase, but I doubt they'll do anything about it. Anyone ran into this before?

DroneBase Pilots

Nvm. Just looked back through the shots more thoroughly and about two of them are lacking sufficient overlap. **** it. Going to have to go back and shoot.

I looked through a bunch of commercial panos in my area and found one that was marked with higher probability of payout and in an area I felt comfortable flying. However, the pano stitched together like garbage. There IS sufficient overlap, but for whatever reason the horizontal shots stitched on upside down and 90 degrees off. I emailed dronebase, but I doubt they'll do anything about it. Anyone ran into this before?

DroneBase Pilots
Happens quite frequently actually. If and when I run into it, I just upload them again and or submit.

Reactions: AyeYo

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic