Ireland follows United States with mandatory registration of drones

Wouldn't these two restrictions make flying nearly impossible?

No flying:
  • farther than 300m from the operator
  • within 120m of any person, vessel or structure not under the operator’s control

Wouldn't these two restrictions make flying nearly impossible?

No flying:
  • within 120m of any person, vessel or structure not under the operator’s control

And ye guys in the U.S. thought ye got it bad, what do you think of the last point FotoGeek
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1450383127.934713.jpg

As all land is owned by somebody be it private of state it's No Fly unless you ask, I own 1 acre site on suburb of big town green fields all around me but neighbours also & 2 within 120m distance so that rules out liftoff from my property & if leave it I have to seek permission, yes there should be some regs but HELLO

@Ptr I would assume 'land owner' means private land owner. At least that would be the US interpretation as all state, city, county land is owned by the public (with some exceptions).

Reactions: Ptr
@Ptr I would assume 'land owner' means private land owner. At least that would be the US interpretation as all state, city, county land is owned by the public (with some exceptions).
TBH FotoGeek it's something I'll have to educate myself on, even though public / state land different bodies have controlling interests & rules governing what & what can't be done within the array of different types of land designated state / publicly owned
Thanks for your input by the way

Reactions: FotoGeek
Seems kinda funny that you have to register them on the same day as us, and your government justifies it the same way, safety and education. I don't know for a fact, but I bet the greenest newbie on this sight knows more about drones than anybody in either of our governments.

Seems kinda funny that you have to register them on the same day as us, and your government justifies it the same way, safety and education. I don't know for a fact, but I bet the greenest newbie on this sight knows more about drones than anybody in either of our governments.

Actually, both of our Governments have been using them for a while now, they know what they're
capable of, and worry about 'the people' having the same opportunity/technology. Their drones are
being flown from half way around the world, and have cameras AND weapons.... They know.

That doesn't make it any less peculiar that on the same day we must register, and they're explanation of implementation is exactly the same. And I know how much we use them. Just look on yt at all the videos of drone pilots complaining about having to kill people....but they still did it.

That doesn't make it any less peculiar that on the same day we must register, and they're explanation of implementation is exactly the same. And I know how much we use them. Just look on yt at all the videos of drone pilots complaining about having to kill people....but they still did it.

Considering the FAA has hired a contractor to run the Web-based registration, who's to say Ireland didn't go with the same
contractor? It would be easy enough for them to expand the registration Internationally.... Just sayin'.

The contractor in our case is CGH Technologies from Washington DC hired by IAA, you could be right MrMcFly

Really? In what way?

The new legislation prohibits users from operating their drones in an unsafe manner. This includes never operating a drone:

• if it will be a hazard to another aircraft in flight
  • over an assembly of people
  • closer than 5km from an aerodrome
  • in a negligent or reckless manner so as to endanger life or property of others
  • over 400ft (120m) above ground level
  • over urban areas
  • in civil or military controlled airspace
  • in restricted areas (e.g. military installations, prisons, etc.)
  • unless the operator has permission from the landowner for takeoff and landing.
The highlighted bullet points are the only current laws regarding drones we have in the USA.

300 meters from the operator.....hmm.....glad I bought a standard. Wouldn't want to get busted for flying my drone where I cant see it. :p

The new legislation prohibits users from operating their drones in an unsafe manner. This includes never operating a drone:

• if it will be a hazard to another aircraft in flight
  • over an assembly of people
  • closer than 5km from an aerodrome
  • in a negligent or reckless manner so as to endanger life or property of others
  • over 400ft (120m) above ground level
  • over urban areas
  • in civil or military controlled airspace
  • in restricted areas (e.g. military installations, prisons, etc.)
  • unless the operator has permission from the landowner for takeoff and landing.
The highlighted bullet points are the only current laws regarding drones we have in the USA.

Are you sure about that?!! They look pretty standard to me… Though I haven't reviewed the laws in UK. I believe the above laws are Ireland, not necessarily for England Scotland and Wales

Last edited:
Are you sure about that?!! They look pretty standard to me… Though I haven't reviewed the laws in UK. I believe the above laws are Ireland, not necessarily for England Scotland and Wales
I have no idea what the laws are in the UK, I am in the US. You are welcome to research our laws here and compare them to Ireland's. My knowledge of any laws outside of the US is limited to the list I posted.

Am I happy no, reg my bird because maybe 2% fcuked it up, but in hindsight I flew like a bird for May thru Dec never once endangering anything, yes my battery could have become not so smart but not my flying, p1 p2 people sorry I can only imagine how ye feel, correct me PLEASE if I'm wrong does any member of this forum know of a loss of life from our hobby, that said worldwide we are under scrutiny because they want our money

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl