ipad mini 2,3,or 4 ?

ipad mini 2, 3, 4

Votes: 6 60.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I have Phantom 3 advanced and have been using my iphone 5s to fly but would like a bigger screen.
I got a 6s yesterday but was planning on ipad mini for a while.
so should I get mini2, 3, or 4? I don't need it to be ultra fast but would like to minimize lag and problems.
is the 2 fast enough for latest firmware or should I just go for the ipad mini 4 ?

I used my mini 2 for a couple of months with no problems, but I wanted a larger screen so I just bought a air 2 64 gig. Makes a fantastic upgrade, the screen in bright light performs so much better than my mini 2.

I debated this same thing for a long time. I went with the iPad Air 2 cellular and have had zero problems The larger screen is truly amazing.. Processing power and it fits in the RC. I highly recommend it!

Reactions: Darmie
There is a balance here... Weight / cost / performance. All of these tabs are heavy. I truly think that the Ipad Mini 2 is the best choice for the job. Why? It has so much graphics power that you don't have to not put all your other stuff on it. You can use it as a normal tablet too... (unlike say the Nexus 7). It has a 8" screen which is Plenty big. It is at the size and weight limit of controller comfort. Any larger and the controller is so top-heavy...the bracket can hardly hold the tab safely. The Mini 2 is on sale all over for Xmas at $199. It is a smokin' general purpose tab, killer-good at games- and runs DJI Go at full frame rate at all times. Bob

Reactions: dirkclod
The iPad Mini 4 has an anti-reflective coating -- which will be helpful when standing in direct sunlight. If that's not a feature that appeals to you, then I'd recommend you go with the iPad Mini 2.

Out of curiosity- why is the iPad Mini 3 not considered over the 2?
I have the 3 and seems to work fine. Truthfully when I got my p3p I hadn't realized the different models had different processing power. The mini 3 had recently just come out & I assumed it would be "better"'than the 2.

What are the real differences between the various iPad models as far as droning is concerned?

Out of curiosity- why is the iPad Mini 3 not considered over the 2?
The only difference is that it has a thumbprint reader.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Remember that the mini 2 comes in wifi only AND 4G/wifi. Only the 4G has an internal GPS and you don't need to activate the 4G for it to work. It is more expensive than the $199 wifi only model. Still the 4G can be found on fleabay for between $190 and $230 used and shipped

Reactions: III% Streve
Remember that the mini 2 comes in wifi only AND 4G/wifi. Only the 4G has an internal GPS and you don't need to activate the 4G for it to work. It is more expensive than the $199 wifi only model. Still the 4G can be found on fleabay for between $190 and $230 used and shipped
Ah! Had I known that I would have gotten the Cellular 2, inactivated just to have the GPS.
Although I really like the Thumbprint capability.

I originally bought an Air 2 non cell because of its price. I ran all the apps ok. But when I found out that crapple, in their all knowing stupidity, decided to take away GPS from those that didn't want have cell service. One of the most ridiculous marketing rips offs I've ever seen! Being stuck, as they had planned, I replaced it with a cell model Air 2. Their BS worked, but in the end I am a LOT happier with the larger screen!! You should really think about spending the little bit of extra cash to get more screen acreage! You wont regret it!!

I originally had the mini 2 with cellular and worked good.
Upgraded to the mini 4 with cellular (activated on free for life T-Mobile)
and works a lot better. In addition to the larger storage of 128gb for the large P3 videos it also has a much upgraded cpu and graphics support for silky smooth FPV. It's pretty much on par with the iPad Air....the Air 2 has better graphics.
Hope this helps!

As the DJI Go app handles continuous data streaming, it's better to have latest processor with large memory and storage. Obviously choice falls on the latest but if the budget is a limit then see what best suits you.

I use the iPad 2 wifi only. Take ten seconds to let your iPad preload the maps where you plan to fly with wifi before leaving home- no GPS required while you fly. Works perfectly. Used this method today for the first time- impressed, no GPS= no big deal.

I use the iPad 2 wifi only. Take ten seconds to let your iPad preload the maps where you plan to fly with wifi before leaving home- no GPS required while you fly. Works perfectly. Used this method today for the first time- impressed, no GPS= no big deal.
Unless you want to do something that requires GPS while flying. Then youre SOL

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

A lot of good info in here.

I just went and bought the mini 2 about 4 hours ago. Once out of the box it looks good. That's all I got for ya. lol! I'll test it once the daylight arrives though.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl