ipad mini 2,3,or 4 ?

ipad mini 2, 3, 4

Votes: 6 60.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another happy, Phantom 3 Pilot, or ecstatic actually, also using an iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular. Yeah. Say no more, nudge nudge, wink wink. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: III% Streve
Unless you want to do something that requires GPS while flying. Then youre SOL

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Im still in the infant stage of dronology and have only 37 flights 29klm's under my belt. I have never felt the need for GPS while flying especially after I learnt that I could preload the maps. There was never a "oh my God I wish I had GPS right now" moment.

Im still in the infant stage of dronology and have only 37 flights 29klm's under my belt. I have never felt the need for GPS while flying especially after I learnt that I could preload the maps. There was never a "oh my God I wish I had GPS right now" moment.
But the second you have a project pop up and its needed.. youre screwed. For the price difference it silly to buy a neutered tablet. Its like buying a car with no heater because you live in Florida.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Can someone please explain to me the importance of having a iPad with Cell for the GPS vs wifi only? Thanks

I've been using a Mini 2 with no problems (aside from a brief period where I tried a 4.) If I really want GPS (hasn't happened yet) I just connect up to my Dual XGPS150. When I upgrade again I'll stick with the non-GPS version and just use my Dual GPS.

I've been using a Mini 2 with no problems (aside from a brief period where I tried a 4.) If I really want GPS (hasn't happened yet) I just connect up to my Dual XGPS150. When I upgrade again I'll stick with the non-GPS version and just use my Dual GPS.
This is my model as well and what I normally tell people here. It is so rare that I need GPS at the RC, but if I do from time to time I'll just bring my DUAL. If it comes up out of the blue (never has) I'll just use my phone.

It has already saved me. When I started, I bought a Mini 2 wifi since I had the DUAL. Saved money. When I couldn't use the Mini 2 any more because of the summer heat, I bought an Air 2 wifi. Saved money. If I had to spend extra every time I upgraded my tablet, that would be sort of silly wouldn't it?

I have more money than I need so I wouldn't really notice the extra ~$125 US to get GPS with every tablet upgrade. That doesnt mean I have to spend it right?

Of course, Apple should certainly allow GPS in wifi only tablets the same as most Android tablets already do. Please, don't start the sophomoric Apple bashing again!

Reactions: BillG
Can someone please explain to me the importance of having a iPad with Cell for the GPS vs wifi only? Thanks
In the Go app there is Follow Me, which requires GPS at the controller. Also you can change the Home Point to the current controller location, which also required GPS at the controller. Most 3rd party apps have a variety of functions that require it as well. If you dont ever want the ability to use any of these options then you dont need GPS. If you think they could ever be useful then your stuck.

No, you're not stuck at all. You just get an external GPS. Works great.

This is my model as well and what I normally tell people here. It is so rare that I need GPS at the RC, but if I do from time to time I'll just bring my DUAL. If it comes up out of the blue (never has) I'll just use my phone.

It has already saved me. When I started, I bought a Mini 2 wifi since I had the DUAL. Saved money. When I couldn't use the Mini 2 any more because of the summer heat, I bought an Air 2 wifi. Saved money. If I had to spend extra every time I upgraded my tablet, that would be sort of silly wouldn't it?

I have more money than I need so I would t really notice the extra ~$125 US with every tablet upgrade. That doesnt mean I have to spend it right?
How much did you spend on your Dual?

No, you're not stuck at all. You just get an external GPS. Works great.
Thats not particularly always true either. There has been quite a bit of time that you couldnt use your external gps devices because of comparability issues when crapple updated software

You can get them for $90-$100. I think that's about the same or a little less than the GPS-equipped iPad, but it's a one time expense that has accompanied several of my iPads.

Reactions: BillG
Thats not particularly always true either. There has been quite a bit of time that you couldnt use your external gps devices because of comparability issues when crapple updated software

<Shrug> YMMV. I've been using external GPS consistently for years in my airplane. Never had any issues at all.

Last edited:
<Shrug> YMMV. I've been using external GPS consistently for years in my airplane. Never had any issues at all.
Sounds great, except your using it like that has no bearing on your continuous use of it with the Go app does it?

I understood a previous post to say that Apple broke external GPS devices. I merely stated that that has never been an issue for me and my external GPS. YMMV.

I dont know the specifics, as I dont have an external GPS. I just remember there being a lot of talk about them not working somewhere around when iOS 9 was released. And that there are a few different brands that dont work with GO at all. People already have enough trouble getting a seemingly simple app to work at all on their hardware. The last thing anyone needs is to add some other gadget to the already confused mix. Then who do they blame when they fly in to a tree and want to call it a fly-away?

I understood a previous post to say that Apple broke external GPS devices. I merely stated that that has never been an issue for me and my external GPS. YMMV.
Yeah, it was for about 7 weeks between April and June. Even though it was solved, if you are interested to learn more you can just google "8.3, GPS" and see lots of detail. Cheers!

You can get them for $90-$100. I think that's about the same or a little less than the GPS-equipped iPad, but it's a one time expense that has accompanied several of my iPads.
If thats the case then I see your point. The only down side then would be having another "thing" to have to tote around. But Im guessing its pretty small.

Since we are already on the topic of tablets, a quick question.

I have been thinking about trying an Nvidia Shield just for a change and to play with the Litchi app. I can't seem to find a new Shield for sale anywhere due to the recent recall. I don't like to buy used electronics, so I may need to go with something else unless someone knows where to get a new Shield or a reliable estimate of when a Shield 2 will be out. Any ideas you guys?

Also, since a tablet is one of the most important parts of your kit, and we get literally countless questions about "which tablet" on the forum, any idea why a "Phones/Tablets" section is not part of the P3 wiki? It seems that would be a no brainer. Am I missing something obvious there? Thanks.

[EDIT - I just saw that this thread is specific to ipad mini 2, 3, 4 so my question about a Shield is not on topic. Please disregard, sorry.]

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj