IOS versus Android

Reaction score
Hello! So my Iphone 6 plus screen is pretty banged up. I am contemplating 1) fixing the screen or 2) upgrading my phone. If I upgrade, I am contemplating either getting the 7 Plus or an Android based phone. I mostly fly with DJI Go 4, although I also use Litchi if I am planning a mission. My question for this esteemed group is what would be the major differences between an android and IOS phone on the Go 4 app or Litchi. I have heard that Android has some compatibility issues with Litchi. Any other issues? If Android, is there a particular phone that you like? I am leaning towards a new Iphone becasue that is what I have used for years so very familiar with it - but it may be nice to switch things up.

The current release of GO 4 is having problems with Android. So, right now, if you want to use the most up to date version of GO 4, you'll have to go iOS. However, it's very easy on Android to obtain previous versions of both GO and GO 4 (apkpure.com) that work well with Android, if this isn't an issue for you.

Also, the current Litchi release works well with Android, including the latest OS release (Nougat).

In any case, the bugs are glaring, making GO 4 completely unusable for FPV flight on an Android device... I expect it will be fixed pretty quickly.

I have only used DGI Go, Go 4, and Litchi on iOS devices with no issues at all so far, and anything that I know about the Android OS as it relates to droning, I have read here and on other drone related forums.

It's my understanding that because the Android OS is an 'opened' OS - so to speak - unlike Apple's 'closed' iOS - not all Android devices are created equal. Different phone manufactures customize the basic Android code to be suitable with their platforms, and this is what very likely causes the issues that some folks are reporting.

So based on this, if I was interested in getting an Android device - and there are some very nice and powerful ones - I would be asking the community to report about specific devices that they have had no issues with whatsoever.

"It's my understanding that because the Android OS is an 'opened' OS - so to speak - unlike Apple's 'closed' iOS - not all Android devices are created equal."
Yep. And not all Android releases are created equal, and some carriers upgrade the phone OS much slower than others--I didn't get 5.1.1 from AT&T for months and months after most other people had it, which was actually a big problem because there were very different graphic libraries in that update.
So even if you have someone say that their device works fine, someone else could have the same device but with a different carrier and so a different android version, and so stuff might not work for them.
We chose to do our app in Android, and it definitely does have development and testing implications.
Brian
www.skytubelive.com
www.instagram.com/skytubelive

Reactions: Brockrock

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan