iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

Anticipate said:
I flew a successful mission again today, about 3000m worth in one flight. The data link was dropped at about 800m out (horizontally... it was 133m high). On the iPad, nothing showed... it was like I never started a flight. On my FPV (avl-58 w/iOSD mini) however, which I could still see fine, the P2 was still flying the waypoint program. And the iOSD still reported GPS mode (presumably from the tx I had on and on standby). I did not flick the transmitter to regain control and kept watching. Sure enough, even with no data link signal, the P2 kept following the program and then reacquired signal on the iPad about 300m away from home point.

All in all it's quite nice. Doesn't have the range of the tx or FPV, but it will retain the program when it loses connection and keep flying.

By the way, I also noticed a few other things: yaw wobble was similar to the last FW, but the P2 seems more stable now. I don't have to correct it as I used to have to when it first goes up to 'get it to settle'. It just goes up rock solid. Even in 15-20mph winds.

I also noticed that Go Home lands at 4m/sec. As I recall it used to be much slower, like 1.5m/sec. Manual down stick still maxes out at 3m/sec.

Thanks for the detailed information. You answered some of my questions.

havasuphoto said:
can anyone that has the app working, in flight or sim mode tell me if it displays the aircraft's current position with latitude and longitude? Also-does it display the aircraft's altitude? Is it height above the take-off point-like what's displayed on the current iOSD mini?(useless).
Is it possible to import Terrain maps?

Also-note to DJI; hire someone to upgrade this software into the 21st century, for PC!! It's not that difficult. Need X1 enabled, so we can tilt the camera, with this GS. And, while you're at it, tell us the number of degree's the camera is tilted, in relation to the true horizon. I'd also like the ability to program a latitude/longitude point, tell the aircraft to tilt the camera 30 degree's from the horizon, hold that position for 10 seconds, then return the camera to 0 degree(straight ahead), fly to the next point, and repeat.

Just having the ability to see the current lat/long, and enter a waypoint that way, could save lives!!! You see, I live in a smallish town, on a Lake/River, that is surrounded by mountains and desert. people like to hike/drive into those area. Sometimes they get hurt, or break down. It can take hours, to get a helicopter here(we have 1 at the Hospital-I used to fly it, and we normally didn't do "search and rescue"), to find these people. However, with a P2 and this GS and camera, you can climb up to 1000? feet, and have a quick look around.
If you spot something, you can fly over and take a look-if you find them, you can "mark" that position. Then the rescue team can enter that into their GPS, and get to them with their all terrain vehicles.

This lat/long ability also has a lot of scientific and agricultural benefits. But, it has to be repeatable, to a certain degree of accuracy. 2.5M is enough accuracy, if you know that's the margin of error.

Just did a quick test using the Simulator within the app and it appears that it does not show Lat and Long of the Phantom in flight however if you touch one of the waypoint icons, it will show the lat and long of the waypoint along with some other info. As for the altitude question? Sorry not sure on that one...

Attachments

• IMG_2697resized.jpg
    IMG_2697resized.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 526
Does anyone know if you need wifi or mobile data on the iPad in order to load maps etc for ground station?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry to post this here given "iOS" in the thread title, but I figured more PC-based GS folks were visiting here as anywhere else.

I have the GS CD that came when I ordered the GS in January, but no CD drive on my laptop. I've searched the DJI site and they refer me back to the CD. Stuck. Questions: (1) anyone know where I can find the PC-based GS software online? I see the drivers but not the main app. (2) If not available on DJI site, can anyone put it in a dropbox for me or email it to me if not too large?

Thanks tribe.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Sorry to post this here given "iOS" in the thread title, but I figured more PC-based GS folks were visiting here as anywhere else.

I have the GS CD that came when I ordered the GS in January, but no CD drive on my laptop. I've searched the DJI site and they refer me back to the CD. Stuck. Questions: (1) anyone know where I can find the PC-based GS software online? I see the drivers but not the main app. (2) If not available on DJI site, can anyone put it in a dropbox for me or email it to me if not too large?

Thanks tribe.

Kelly

In the unlikely event that you do not have a friend or collegue with a pc, mac or linux computer that could help you copy the content to a USB memory stick for you, you might consider getting an external drive.
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Writ ... B003M0NT1M

hughsnews said:
Does anyone know if you need wifi or mobile data on the iPad in order to load maps etc for ground station?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, you only need bluetooth.

wkf94025 said:

Thanks tribe.

Kelly

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/163 ... S%20CD.zip

You'll have to use the autorun.exe to get the installer interface that lets you choose which modules to install (app, drivers, plugins, etc).

OI Photography said:
wkf94025 said:

Thanks tribe.

Kelly

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/163 ... S%20CD.zip

You'll have to use the autorun.exe to get the installer interface that lets you choose which modules to install (app, drivers, plugins, etc).
I'm assuming you need a serial number off the original CD to install?

Also-thanks to the person that answered my lat/long question. Strange that you have to click on a waypoint you're created, to show lat/long.
Hopefully the PC version can be "polished" up.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:
I'm assuming you need a serial number off the original CD to install?

The CD doesn't have a S/N printed on it, and I don't remember having to enter one when installing on either of the 2 PC's I put it on.
Then let the "fun" begin :)

FYI, in an E-mail from DJI Los Angeles-they told me the PC version of the GS was free. They just haven't gotten back to me on where I get the software, because it was a weekend. However, I must say, I'm impressed with their cohesive and quick response to my e-mails.

Anticipate said:
mcmax20 said:
Top speed for continuous use would be around 18-20m/s and that's pushing it. 20min wouldn't be possible with anything but an empty P2.
Furthest you could probably go is 7km and still get back. At those numbers, in theory with an empty bird, you could make it to 10.8-12km and still get back but you'd have to be in something on the ground to keep in contact with it. Control range is around 5km with stock radio and I've heard less with the DS.

Still wondering about rolling back the firmware on the BT... anyone?

With a stock radio, I have been able to go no more than say, 1300m out without it turning home. That's moving at about 10m/sec. I get about 17 min total flight time going down to 25% battery with the P2, H23D, GoPro, a Garmin GPS tracker, iOSD Mini, and avl58 tx attached with antenna - at 45 degrees F air temp. Minus one min if you add the data link on top of that.

I don't think anything more than say 2000m is possible and still get it back home, and that's assuming you could keep a radio link to it which you can't at that distance with a stock Tx, as far as I know.

It surprises me you're not able to go anymore than 1300m out without losing control with the stock radio. I've been to 3000m so far and feel I could easily go further but my FPV starts to get weak at that point. I do live in a rural area so there really is nothing to interfere with my signal. One of the reasons I've haven't "upgraded" to the Futaba is because I've heard it gives less range than stock.

I too get around 16-17min flight time with a loaded P2, if I was flying full speed the whole way that would probably drop to 14-15mins at best. I'm still flying in 0c (30F) weather though... waiting for spring!

Got the PC version installed. I enter "offline" mode, but for the life of me, can't find anything resembling simulator mode. The default aircraft location is somewhere in China, and the default pre-programmed course, is also in China.

Can find my joystick,but can't get past the "trim" calibration-there is no Next button.
I'm running Win 7/64, at 2560X1600 resolution, on a 30" monitor, and even at full screen, all the buttons and writing appear kind of crammed together(maybe it's the medium fonts I'm using?).

This looks to me, like a Beta Version.

EDIT: Thanks OL for posting :)

havasuphoto said:
Got the PC version installed. I enter "offline" mode, but for the life of me, can't find anything resembling simulator mode. The default aircraft location is somewhere in China, and the default pre-programmed course, is also in China.

Can find my joystick,but can't get past the "trim" calibration-there is no Next button.
I'm running Win 7/64, at 2560X1600 resolution, on a 30" monitor, and even at full screen, all the buttons and writing appear kind of crammed together(maybe it's the medium fonts I'm using?).

Not sure about simulator mode either. When I connect with PC GS it immediately moves Google Earth to my front yard where the P2 is sitting. I use the editor to set and modify altitude and speed to waypoints and.....I'm off and flying!

Anticipate clarified on RCGroups that when App Store releases the new version of the iPad GS, that we are looking for a flashing green BTU to show working mode. Wish I would have not upgraded my BTU and I would be flying with the iPad now. Enjoying the PC GS for now though and it works just fine. Do we all trust DJI for BVR flight (or beyond FPV range (B-FPV)) but in *THEORY* and unless you have a bad battery it should be flying GPS point to GPS point at the speed and altitude you tell it to. Mine did yesterday on the PC GS in all of the tests. I did forget and had a scary moment when it barely cleared a tree as it climbed to 60m from takeoff slowly. I forgot that it does not go up to 60m directly before proceeding to its first waypoint. My take off area is surrounded by trees (lower than 20m) so I need to set a waypoint close to takeoff to get it up above 20m before letting it move forward toward waypoint one.

Come on--don't we all trust DJI to fly BVR and BFPV and return home safely! ;->

I even had autoland on the PC GS work for me yesterday though it took about ten minutes to descend from 60m to the ground. Landed gently and shut of the motors.

PC GS until the App Store deals out the upgrade...

I did have a nice clear FPV (non GS) flight out at dusk and low humidity to 3200m at about 200m up the other day. Gorgeous. But I forgot to slide the record button on the DVR! This was on my #2 P2 with only a Fatshark 600 camera and IRC600 with mini iOSD and 2.4G datalink. Had 55% battery left and started out toward 3200m and back at around 92%! Love how this thing flies without a big heavy gimble and GoPro hanging from it. Yes, I know its for range and BVR only. I've got nothing recording on board just on my tripod GS with ImmersionRC Duo5800. Headed to 1.3ghz when the wind dies and planning to put a ImmersionRC UHF receiver in someday soon!

havasuphoto said:

No problem! Maybe I need to post that in its own thread for those who bought the iPad version.

When you first start up the GS software on the PC, it'll default to China for the home location until you have a connection with the Data Link on the Phantom and it's able to read the current GPS info from the NAZA. If you have the link but don't see that in the software, change the COMPORT at the top right of the interface. Mine defaults to 3 but I always have to change it to 4.

Here's the full manual for the PC software...even as ugly as it is, I did better by following the manual as opposed to applying normal logic to the interface. Page 18 is where the info about the "Simulation Mode" begins (which can be controlled by joystick or keyboard): http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... n_v3.0.pdf

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:

No problem! Maybe I need to post that in its own thread for those who bought the iPad version.

When you first start up the GS software on the PC, it'll default to China for the home location until you have a connection with the Data Link on the Phantom and it's able to read the current GPS info from the NAZA. If you have the link but don't see that in the software, change the COMPORT at the top right of the interface. Mine defaults to 3 but I always have to change it to 4.

Here's the full manual for the PC software...even as ugly as it is, I did better by following the manual as opposed to applying normal logic to the interface. Page 18 is where the info about the "Simulation Mode" begins (which can be controlled by joystick or keyboard): http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... n_v3.0.pdf
Thanks-read the instructions, can calibrate joystick, and that's it. Can't get the aircraft to "go" anywhere.......And, who's bright idea was it to use the command;Ctrl+ Right click, to select "simulator" mode??

hughsnews said:

You do (you can tether your phone to your iPad; I do), to load the map initially, but it will cache it so you don't need to stay connected after that.

mcmax20 said:
It surprises me you're not able to go anymore than 1300m out without losing control with the stock radio. I've been to 3000m so far and feel I could easily go further but my FPV starts to get weak at that point. I do live in a rural area so there really is nothing to interfere with my signal. One of the reasons I've haven't "upgraded" to the Futaba is because I've heard it gives less range than stock.

I too get around 16-17min flight time with a loaded P2, if I was flying full speed the whole way that would probably drop to 14-15mins at best. I'm still flying in 0c (30F) weather though... waiting for spring!

I am in a semi rural area but there are a ton of houses near me and stores with wifi blasting, so that's probably a contributor. For example, in a more built up city (but not something as dense as, say, Boston), I lost signal at 700m.

I will have to go to a rural area and try it sometime soon; I just started flying in November so I haven't had anything but cold weather or snow. I can't wait for spring proper!

Anticipate said:
With a stock radio, I have been able to go no more than say, 1300m out without it turning home. That's moving at about 10m/sec. I get about 17 min total flight time going down to 25% battery with the P2, H23D, GoPro, a Garmin GPS tracker, iOSD Mini, and avl58 tx attached with antenna - at 45 degrees F air temp. Minus one min if you add the data link on top of that.

I don't think anything more than say 2000m is possible and still get it back home, and that's assuming you could keep a radio link to it which you can't at that distance with a stock Tx, as far as I know.

I have seen multiple accounts of people flying their stock Phantom 2 and RC over 5000m. They were all with a clear line-of-sight.
For the best RC range, set the CE/FCC switch (Potentiometer identified on page 12 item 13 in the 1.06 manual) on the RC to FCC mode by turning 1/4 turn clockwise. Be gentle. The FCC mode is for US. See your local regulations for using this setting.
Here is an account of a flight over 5000m. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyoTOm87U9w

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT