iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

Cr8tive_leo said:
killjoy said:
No joy. Anyone else with success/fail stories? ...regarding the Bluetooth connection especially. .

My BTU does the same connected to the GS Base, but... if I hook it to the Phantom iOSD mini, it locks green, and I can see the device with my Android, my ipad is in my car... too lazy to grab it right now. :)

The BTU does not accept any pairing code I try to type in... 0000 or 1234... or a few others I've tried. (

Oh well, just another set back, and a black mark in my faith in DJI.

IMG_20140328_145419.jpg

Has anyone seen this. My BTU flashes green when the P2 (and full air end system is on and connected to canbus properly). Only when the P2 is shut off, or I unplug the air end from the canbus does my BTU go solid green. In no case can my iPad discover any available Bluetooth connection.

On the bright side it looks like Ground Station on my PC connects without issue on my desktop. I am installing on my laptop and headed outside to fly it without **** Apple (and **** you DJI). Wish me luck and be glad I have two P2s. This could be the end of this one with the PC GS.

ianwood said:
It's very simple. DJI is being proactive and demonstrating they understand the dangers. They simply made a list of all class B and C airports. Managing rules for each jurisdiction is whole order of magnitude more complicated than one size fits all. If your local AFB is not on it, then it isn't class B or C.

And for those who dislike the no-fly zones altogether, consider that GS is going to introduce a whole new category of mishaps. I can see a whole lot of people buying a Phantom with GS, never touching the remote, plugging in a bunch of waypoints and then hitting GO. Then they'll come onto this forum and write:

" I calibrated the compass. I plugged in the waypoints and sent it off but it never came back. This DJI thing is a piece of junk!"

Yeah, well, your Phantom never came back because it was shredded by a 737 on approach into LAX. Thankfully the plane landed without a flameout and the ground crew were confused by the lack of bird guts in the engine.

Keeping the muppets out of class B and C space is just good common sense. Videos of Phantoms buzzing around KLAS at over 1,000ft are evidence enough.

LOL, well said. I agree with you. Isn't the world big enough that you can simply hop in your car and drive for 2 or 3 miles to get out of a no fly zone to try this GS Waypoint system out? I live 6km down the road from Christchurch Intl Airport so I'm stuck in a no-fly zone meaning I can't test the waypoint system out in familiar surroundings but really it's no biggy, I can still fly 'hands on' at home. When I see the flights coming in at 2500-3000 feet approaching the nearby airport I'm actually quite pleased that DJI have put this safeguard in place. One way for our combined hobby to be relegated to the history books would be for some idiot to cause a major incident or crash of a commercial passenger plane. I'm pretty sure we'd see new regulations introduced worldwide within days making privately owned drones illegal.

There's this one guy in New Zealand who has been using his P2 to fly over sports stadiums during major rugby matches and then posting the footage on YT. Not only is he bringing the hobby into disrepute he is also flouting the law which (here, anyway) states you are not allowed to fly at night, BVR, over 400 feet or within a no-fly zone (usually 5km from an active airfield). His stupidity has made national headlines because of the growing concern that potentially these drones could be a threat to the safety of airline passengers and others.

I love flying BVR with my FPV set up but I try and keep it safe and out of harms way. It will be interesting to see how the legality side of drone flight develops over time.

When testing just now, I do get the green light on the BTU when connected to the ground end, but...

ONLY once the ground and air ends are paired (air end has to be powered on too), and
ONLY if the air end is powered on first.

I hadn't done the upgrade prior to this test, and it exhibited the same results both before and after the upgrade. The only difference is that the green light was solid before the upgrade, blinking after. But both before and after the upgrade, I had to meet the same conditions above to get any green at all instead of a solid red.

Note: my air end is connected to a Wookong currently, not a NAZA, but that shouldn't have any effect on this issue. Shouldn't.

PetePerrim said:
ianwood said:
It's very simple. DJI is being proactive and demonstrating they understand the dangers. They simply made a list of all class B and C airports. Managing rules for each jurisdiction is whole order of magnitude more complicated than one size fits all. If your local AFB is not on it, then it isn't class B or C.

And for those who dislike the no-fly zones altogether, consider that GS is going to introduce a whole new category of mishaps. I can see a whole lot of people buying a Phantom with GS, never touching the remote, plugging in a bunch of waypoints and then hitting GO. Then they'll come onto this forum and write:

" I calibrated the compass. I plugged in the waypoints and sent it off but it never came back. This DJI thing is a piece of junk!"

Yeah, well, your Phantom never came back because it was shredded by a 737 on approach into LAX. Thankfully the plane landed without a flameout and the ground crew were confused by the lack of bird guts in the engine.

Keeping the muppets out of class B and C space is just good common sense. Videos of Phantoms buzzing around KLAS at over 1,000ft are evidence enough.

LOL, well said. I agree with you. Isn't the world big enough that you can simply hop in your car and drive for 2 or 3 miles to get out of a no fly zone to try this GS Waypoint system out? I live 6km down the road from Christchurch Intl Airport so I'm stuck in a no-fly zone meaning I can't test the waypoint system out in familiar surroundings but really it's no biggy, I can still fly 'hands on' at home. When I see the flights coming in at 2500-3000 feet approaching the nearby airport I'm actually quite pleased that DJI have put this safeguard in place. One way for our combined hobby to be relegated to the history books would be for some idiot to cause a major incident or crash of a commercial passenger plane. I'm pretty sure we'd see new regulations introduced worldwide within days making privately owned drones illegal.

There's this one guy in New Zealand who has been using his P2 to fly over sports stadiums during major rugby matches and then posting the footage on YT. Not only is he bringing the hobby into disrepute he is also flouting the law which (here, anyway) states you are not allowed to fly at night, BVR, over 400 feet or within a no-fly zone (usually 5km from an active airfield). His stupidity has made national headlines because of the growing concern that potentially these drones could be a threat to the safety of airline passengers and others.

I love flying BVR with my FPV set up but I try and keep it safe and out of harms way. It will be interesting to see how the legality side of drone flight develops over time.

Let's just hope some crazy terrorist doesn't try something with a UAV. Then we are in trouble. Sounds crazy but it's reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OI Photography said:
When testing just now, I do get the green light on the BTU when connected to the ground end, but...

ONLY once the ground and air ends are paired (air end has to be powered on too), and
ONLY if the air end is powered on first.

I hadn't done the upgrade prior to this test, and it exhibited the same results both before and after the upgrade. The only difference is that the green light was solid before the upgrade, blinking after. But both before and after the upgrade, I had to meet the same conditions above to get any green at all instead of a solid red.

Note: my air end is connected to a Wookong currently, not a NAZA, but that shouldn't have any effect on this issue. Shouldn't.

So OI--the big question...... Can you connect from any Bluetooth device to the BTU. And can you connect iPAD GS to the P2 controller?

I will play with the order of turning things on, but did not test nor document lights before the BTU upgrade...

TXhillcountryphantom said:
So OI--the big question...... Can you connect from any Bluetooth device to the BTU. And can you connect iPAD GS to the P2 controller?

I'm afraid I have no iDevices to test either of those. My android devices do see the BTU whenever the green light is flashing (as they did when it was on before the update), and they try to connect but fail at the PIN. It also pops up a quick warning when I try that says something like "this connection requires a low-power Bluetooth app to work properly."

Although my bluetooth does not detect on iPad it connects To the GS you pair it in the app not settings on the iPad. and I was able to do a test flight just like someone said and I planned a mission without seeing the distance. Luckily cancelled and returned home. I also used the sticks in the ipad it's rather scary! At first See my other post. In the update software section.

OI Photography said:

I'm afraid I have no iDevices to test either of those. My android devices do see the BTU whenever the green light is flashing (as they did when it was on before the update), and they try to connect but fail at the PIN. It also pops up a quick warning when I try that says something like "this connection requires a low-power Bluetooth app to work properly."

So I was expecting based on some other posts in forums here and on RCGroups that I am looking for the solid green light on the BTU. Are you saying no OI...I want the flashing green on the BTU? All my other lights on all devices are as the manual lists (connected, xfering data etc). When I'm flashing (and when I'm not) I still cannot connect my iPad's Bluetooth to anything but the Macmini in my entertainment center and my cars in the garage. No sign of an iPad app. No low power BT app to work properly. Maybe that will be the to-be 1.4.58 release one Apple sets it free. Just surprised some of us are connecting to the BT and others to the controller and some of us, even with lights that indicate we should--to neither BT or P2 controller.

I am wondering if DJI encouraged the BT 1.0.1.3 upgrade b/c it would MAKE us wait for the to-be iPad 1.4.58 app for some kind of safety reason. And those that did not do that upgrade are able to connect BT and to the controller--at least for simulator?

Thoughts?

Before I updated the BTU: solid green light (once air/ground paired), device visible in BT
After I updated the BTU: flashing green light (once air/ground paired), device visible in BT

Are you all not able to obtain/install the traditional iPad app for groundstation?

OI Photography said:
Before I updated the BTU: solid green light (once air/ground paired), device visible in BT
After I updated the BTU: flashing green light (once air/ground paired), device visible in BT

Are you all not able to obtain/install the traditional iPad app for groundstation?

I have it installed on two different iPads. One iPad mini and one iPad w/Retina. Just cannot pair nor connect to controller.

OI Photography said:

I have it installed on two different iPads. One iPad mini and one iPad w/Retina. Just cannot pair nor connect to controller.

It doesn't need to pair.... just have the gear powered up and connected, make sure BT is turned on on the iPad and start the GS app... it searches for and connects to the BTU without the need for pairing.

It doesn't need to pair.... just have the gear powered up and connected, make sure BT is turned on on the iPad and start the GS app... it searches for and connects to the BTU without the need for pairing.

Mine won't connect. Ipad 3 which has bluetooth 4.0.

BT doesn't discover it, and GS app can't find the controller. Air and ground end have solid green link light, and BTU has flashing green light. All firmware updated.

PC GS app connects to the controller fine, just not the ipad GS app.

Anyone got the same setup and has managed to connect? Am I going to have to wait for the new GS app?

Successfully connecting all the various parts of the DJI 2.4GHz Datalink system is very similar to a successful day of snipe hunting. People have told so many really neat stories about both, stories that can make one's imagination race.

Now, to be clear, I just mean "connecting the datalink", and confirming that both ends (including the BTU part) are all communicating harmoniously with each other. (BTU green light, iPad that successfully connects via the GS app, all that stuff) I'm not referring to the further dream of actually flying automated way point missions. Actually flying by datalink? Well, let's just say that's a whole other breed of snipe, son. I've not yet hunted for that quarry.

For now, I've stopped even hoping for actual way point flight. It's something I don't currently even have time to think about. Yes, for now, my sole dream has become getting it all "connected". I've heard delicious rumors of a brilliant emerald light beaming from some people's BTU! Makes me tremble with excitement just thinking about it. For now, I'm busy chasing that emerald dream. (user "Cr8tive_leo" generously provided a pic of the green light functioning on his BTU, which all kidding aside, has served as a major source of renewed motivation to me, so I'd like to sincerely thank him for that! that's akin to getting a snipe pic provided to you. very rare indeed)

Have you ever noticed that there really are no definitive tutorials that depict a successful snipe hunt from start to finish? I mean, I've never actually seen rows of dead snipes, neatly laid out on the table ready for processing into delicious snipe fillets. Same thing is true with the DJI datalink.
Still, you always hear that snipe hunting is wonderful. Same with the datalink.

(Maybe snipes invented the datalink! I'll get this whole convoluted plot figured out, if you give me enough time.)

BTW, did you guys get a data cable with your P2? I mean the type that updates the white handheld radio transmitter and the P2 itself? I never found one in my my ~$1000 P2 package. However, I do know they come free with most $20 electronics that require them. So I scabbed one that belonged to an old LG phone I had lying around. I hope that's what DJI expected me to do when they designed the ~$1000 Phantom 2 system! Of course, neither the white controller nor the Phantom 2 has ever been recognized by my computer when they are connected to it via the old LG data cable. (hardware not recognized, etc.) Loading the DJI Win drivers to my computer in advance, apparently is not the key to making that work.
Literally everything I try, even the simplest tasks, doesn't work.

I taught myself to do the Rubik's cube when I was 14 . (best time was under one minute, once way back when I was young) I've built all of my and my good friends' computers for many years. All reliable rigs. I taught myself how to play piano and guitar. (unlike snipe hunts, I have proof and am willing to share it) My tiny home recording studio has a mind-numbing array of gadgets to deal with. I remember teaching myself the hobby of FTA, and then teaching others about it. I'm sure most people on a forum like this have similar stories.
Ive determined that connecting the DJI datalink is far more complicated than all that stuff.
Flying via datalink, is a dream I perhaps dare not dream.

Same situation.

Mine won't connect to the Ipad air.

GS app can't find the controller. Air has two green. Groundstation green en flasching red, and BTU has flashing green light.
All firmware updated.

PC GS app connects to the controller fine. We have to wait for the new GS app........

Same situation.

Mine won't connect to the Ipad air.

GS app can't find the controller. Air has two green. Groundstation green en flasching red, and BTU has flashing green light.
All firmware updated.

PC GS app connects to the controller fine. We have to wait for the new GS app........
My BTU has a solid red light. Everyone else may be waiting on the new app. I'm waiting to get my BTU to turn green, like all the people who have their datalink system connected correctly.

All this talk about not connectivity is making me re think my decision.

What I am also getting from this conversation is not to update BTU but update everything else and you can connect.

It's seems too that people don't like the Win version of the GS. Why is that?

I honestly think that DJI tried to meet the request of others wanting GS without disconnect those that already have it. Cause those that have it are probably not updating and are running the old app. From my understand this is a P2 update/upgrade. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

killjoy said:
Successfully connecting all the various parts of the DJI 2.4GHz Datalink system is very similar to a successful day of snipe hunting. People have told so many really neat stories about both, stories that can make one's imagination race.

Now, to be clear, I just mean "connecting the datalink", and confirming that both ends (including the BTU part) are all communicating harmoniously with each other. (BTU green light, iPad that successfully connects via the GS app, all that stuff) I'm not referring to the further dream of actually flying automated way point missions. Actually flying by datalink? Well, let's just say that's a whole other breed of snipe, son. I've not yet hunted for that quarry.

For now, I've stopped even hoping for actual way point flight. It's something I don't currently even have time to think about. Yes, for now, my sole dream has become getting it all "connected". I've heard delicious rumors of a brilliant emerald light beaming from some people's BTU! Makes me tremble with excitement just thinking about it. For now, I'm busy chasing that emerald dream. (user "Cr8tive_leo" generously provided a pic of the green light functioning on his BTU, which all kidding aside, has served as a major source of renewed motivation to me, so I'd like to sincerely thank him for that! that's akin to getting a snipe pic provided to you. very rare indeed)

Have you ever noticed that there really are no definitive tutorials that depict a successful snipe hunt from start to finish? I mean, I've never actually seen rows of dead snipes, neatly laid out on the table ready for processing into delicious snipe fillets. Same thing is true with the DJI datalink.

(Maybe snipes invented the datalink! I'll get this whole convoluted plot figured out, if you give me enough time.)

BTW, did you guys get a data cable with your P2? I mean the type that updates the white handheld radio transmitter and the P2 itself? I never found one in my my ~$1000 P2 package. However, I do know they come free with most $20 electronics that require them. So I scabbed one that belonged to an old LG phone I had lying around. I hope that's what DJI expected me to do when they designed the ~$1000 Phantom 2 system! Of course, neither the white controller nor the Phantom 2 has ever been recognized by my computer when they are connected to it via the old LG data cable. (hardware not recognized, etc.) Loading the DJI Win drivers to my computer in advance, apparently is not the key to making that work.

I taught myself to do the Rubik's cube when I was 14 . (best time was under one minute, once way back when I was young) I've built all of my and my good friends' computers for many years. All reliable rigs. I taught myself how to play piano and guitar. (unlike snipe hunts, I have proof and am willing to share it) My tiny home recording studio has a mind-numbing array of gadgets to deal with. I remember teaching myself the hobby of FTA, and then teaching others about it. I'm sure most people on a forum like this have similar stories.
Ive determined that connecting the DJI datalink is far more complicated than all that stuff.

My sentiments exactly.
I've watched the video(s) on DJI website, and the only thing I see, is a guy trying to add a joystick to the App(PC), then flying it in Simulator mode. And, the software looked like it was Circa Win98!!! It looks clunky-not intuitive at all. And, there appears to be a "bug" in the artificial horizon overlay.
All things considered-I'm sitting this one out, until someone stacks their "row of dead snipes" in front of their GS, and uploads a picture-video of the hunt would actually be better!!!

I will have room and the functionality to add this to my yet to arrive P2+H3-3D. I do have a use for such a program....and TBH, needed it Yesterday. But, I'm not going to be the Beta Test Pilot :)

Everyone: The current GS app for iPad won't work with the latest BTU FW. So if you update your P2 but do not update the BTU you can use the current app. (I tested this, like others, seems to work ok. I flew waypoints ok, TX at the ready in case). I read (but obviously did not test) that if you update the BTU today, you can't use the current app but need to wait for the new one, presumably coming next week.

As far as the question about the USB cord needed to update the transmitter, it's the same one you use for the P2. It is indeed, in the P2 box.

killjoy said:

You rock!

But lesser than snipe...do we want a SOLID or FLASHING green light on the BTU when it is working "properly"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20