Insurance

Reaction score
I read on the forum that some have been getting good coverage for loss of the aircraft from State Farm. I investigated that. I am in Washington state. It sounded like I could have gotten total insurance for the $60 annual insurance premium from State Farm. The catch, at least here, is you also have to have another policy, house. auto, boat or you can't insure with them.
I didn't want to change insurance companies so I called the company that has all my policies. It seems things like sUAVs, Uber, etc. are new enough that there is a lot of discussion going on about how to insure these things. My home owners covers the aircraft if on the ground and my liability insurance from the home owners would cover me if flying the aircraft. However, bird strike, pilot error, fly away, whatever...no coverage. If they would cover it while flying I would have also had a $500 deductible. That would be a lot better than full replacement cost.
So, I am still searching for something.

Reactions: Patoomey
I am going to check USAA... Have had them my whole life (vehicle, renters, homeowners, airboat, pontoon boat) and see what they can do.. I have already worked it out where I have Liability Insurance through VeriFly, but want something covering the drone itself. We put a lot of money into these flying machines that can get a mind of their own... lol.....

My home owners covers the aircraft if on the ground and my liability insurance from the home owners would cover me if flying the aircraft.
Can you elaborate on this? How much liability coverage? Who's the insurance company?

I've never heard of homeowners insurance covering drone flight liability as a hobbiest. Maybe I need to reconsider my insurance company.

It sounded like I could have gotten total insurance for the $60 annual insurance premium from State Farm. The catch, at least here, is you also have to have another policy, house. auto, boat or you can't insure with them.
Try another Farmers agent. It sounds like that particular independent agent didn't want to mess with a $60/yr policy, since he likely makes about $6 on it.

A general liability policy will cover you if the drone causes damage to someone else's property or someone is injured by your drone. It won't cover damage to the drone or the loss of the drone

I have a Personal Property Policy with State Farm and it covers accidental damage, theft, just about anything. Its 60 dollars per year and no deductible. They say it will even pay for water damage.

I forgot to mention that it will not cover your I Pad or phone but it will cover the controller if it is the Phantom 4 Pro plus with the Screen

A general liability policy will cover you if the drone causes damage to someone else's property or someone is injured by your drone.
If i have a $1M umbrella policy for liability does that include if/when I'm flying my UAV? I'm guessing I should call my insurance company (Liberty Mutual) to double check.

A general liability policy will cover you if the drone causes damage to someone else's property or someone is injured by your drone. It won't cover damage to the drone or the loss of the drone
Thankfully I don't flight over any private property or even close to people. I always do flight over water or in a public park when there is not people around or the people is far away. I don't need liability policy, I will like an insurance that cover my drone in case of falling down and crashing.

If i have a $1M umbrella policy for liability does that include if/when I'm flying my UAV? I'm guessing I should call my insurance company (Liberty Mutual) to double check.

The 1M liability policy covers any damage your drone does to someone else's property.. does not cover replace/repair or ur drone... the policies we are speaking of are policies that cover damage/repair/replace of the drone and drone components should an accident or theft occur.... these are 2 totally different coverages.

Good insight about trying another all state agent. I live rural. Maybe I should try an agent in the big city near as they might be more familiar with it.

By the way. AMA has nice liability insurance for about $60 a year and it's also their membership fee. And if areas near you are closed to multi rotor find the nearest AMA club and go fly on their field. You can't fly on an AMA field without AMA membership. AMA also provides coverage for the club and the folks flying there.

I got $1000 no questions asked coverage through State Farm for $60 for a year.. With no deductible. But... I had to call several State Farm office locations before I found someone in the know. And I don't have any other policies with them. I ended up going with a State Farm office 60 miles away. I done it all by phone.

Last edited:
Thanks! Going to give that plan a try. The agent who turned me down mentioned $1400 coverage and you indicated you got a $1000. What's up with that i wonder?

Thankfully I don't flight over any private property or even close to people. I always do flight over water or in a public park when there is not people around or the people is far away. I don't need liability policy, I will like an insurance that cover my drone in case of falling down and crashing.

I largely fly the same types of areas, but liability is still a must for me. We live in a lawsuit crazy world, it only takes one to wipe you out. At least in the US, and in the recreational context, it may well be covered under an existing renter's or homeowner's policy. I was able to significantly increase my base liability coverage amount for very little.

I don't have insurance from State Farm and I was able to buy a personal Articles policy from State Farm to cover my drone and all my accessories here in Florida, I would call a different agent, many of them don't know the hell they're talking about or know their own policies and procedures.

Last edited:
I got $1000 no questions asked coverage through State Farm for $60 a month. But... I had to call several State Farm office locations before I found someone in the know. And I don't have any other policies with them. I ended up going with a State Farm office 60 miles away. I done it all by phone.

$60 a month? Are you sure? I paid around $70 for the year

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl