In Asheville. Need clues for flying in mountains first time.

Reaction score
I've only flown in Orlando Florida flatlands. Anything I need to know when the altitude is constantly changing? Thanks!

Be careful... don't bust the 400 ft. AGL limit and (at least for the first few flight, fly slow and maintain VLOS...

Yeah was wondering if the visual positioning should be on. If you're going to fly at eye level and want to keep it there and there is a cliff...... visual positioning will be fine. Is that correct?

Understood and thanks. So no real changes like turning off visual or anything with the contour changes.
So it knows when the ground drops out from under it.
I'll go slow and figure it out but need any advice

Doesn't matter if the ground drops away. The bird doesn't maintain altitude in relation to the ground.
Barometer is the altimeter.
More critical is to be wary of sudden rise in ground level!
What are you flying? P3 - P4 -P4P or ??

Understood and thanks. So no real changes like turning off visual or anything with the contour changes.
I'll go slow and figure it out but need any advice
I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I have a little experience on the subject. Cliffs can be higher then 400ft. It is legal to exceed 400 ft. as long as you are within 400 ft. of the cliff. Plan ahead. Do a fly by farther then you like and then work your way in closer. Make sure there is very little wind. Cliffs can and usually do have strong updrafts. Play it safe and fly within your skills. Now, I going to be in DeBary, Fl. In a couple weeks. Do osprey like drones? Lol

Understood and thanks. So no real changes like turning off visual or anything with the contour changes. So it knows when the ground drops out from under it. I'll go slow and figure it out but need any advice

No, your drone does not know how far the ground is below it. It only knows the height from launch point. I have had flights where my drone is negative 500 ft below launch point to 1640 feet above launch point. You drone does not have sensors to judge the distance to ground below.

As for flying at high altitude in the mountains, there are several things you need to be aware of. It's cooler up there so make sure you batteries are warmed up. Wind speeds change change in an instant and you can get very strong gusts. Clouds can form quickly.

But most importantly the views are stunning. Here are some videos of a sunrise. Drone at over 10350 ft altitude at max height and the mountains where the sun comes over peak over 13000 ft. Same location for a sunset as well. PS I am not in the USA, I am flying over a national park which is allowed, and there are no aircraft allowed up here. It's also where I live.

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
I wouldn't think that will be the best decision... since it takes more power to ascend compared to descending. Personally I'd want to launch near the bottom so when my battery gets low I'm able to conserve more upon returning to land.

LOL really? I was talking about personally climbing the mountain and launching from there. Not using the drone to fly up.

Gee, I 'got it' the first time!
If mountain was over 400' high, you would technically be too high from home point if launching from base of it.
Faa states that you can go a maximum of 400 ft. over a building. If the building is 500 ft. high then you can legally fly 900 ft. from your take off point. Providing you stay with in 400 ft. of the building. The same is true for a mountain. I asked DJI if it would void my warranty if I went over 400 ft. to photograph a 1000 ft. Cliff and they said no it would not providing it was legal in my area.

I've only flown in Orlando Florida flatlands. Anything I need to know when the altitude is constantly changing? Thanks!
I live in Florida in the winter and summer at 8000 feet in the mountains. I have not flown in the mountains with my P4 yet. Last year I flew there with a Yuneec typhoon 5004k. The biggest difference was, battery life was about half of life in Florida, due to the thinner air.

I still get 20 minute flights even at 10000 feet plus altitudes. I also bring 3 batteries one is never enough.

Home point is not an issue if you fly up to a mountain and then back or below and then up. It's having enough power to get your bird home and also, if your RTH making sure you bird has enough height to clear any things you need to fly over to get home.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I have a little experience on the subject. Cliffs can be higher then 400ft. It is legal to exceed 400 ft. as long as you are within 400 ft. of the cliff. Plan ahead. Do a fly by farther then you like and then work your way in closer. Make sure there is very little wind. Cliffs can and usually do have strong updrafts. Play it safe and fly within your skills. Now, I going to be in DeBary, Fl. In a couple weeks. Do osprey like drones? Lol
You are misunderstanding the FAA rule. Exceeding 400' AGL only applies when you are with-in 400' laterely of a structure,(man made), not natural features such as cliffs or trees. Just maintain 400' AGL maximum above the terrain you are directly over and you will be legal, (unless there are other Airspace considerations).

You are misunderstanding the FAA rule. Exceeding 400' AGL only applies when you are with-in 400' laterely of a structure,(man made), not natural features such as cliffs or trees. Just maintain 400' AGL maximum above the terrain you are directly over and you will be legal, (unless there are other Airspace considerations).
I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to misinform anyone. This is one point I should have kept my mouth shut. I my ignorance, I was thinking like it was a building. I have a 1000 ft. cliff that I want to photograph with my phantom. It has lots of twisted pine growing off of it. It jets out from a mountain and I use to get a lot of good shots from walking up the backside with my Nikon. I guess I could try to walk part way up and fly out from there. I can't walk very well anymore. I use to be big in backpacking and caving. I love my camera. I was hoping my phantom could be my feet.
Would it be true then, that a plane could fly legally within 400 ft, of that same cliff?

I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to misinform anyone. This is one point I should have kept my mouth shut. I my ignorance, I was thinking like it was a building. I have a 1000 ft. cliff that I want to photograph with my phantom. It has lots of twisted pine growing off of it. It jets out from a mountain and I use to get a lot of good shots from walking up the backside with my Nikon. I guess I could try to walk part way up and fly out from there. I can't walk very well anymore. I use to be big in backpacking and caving. I love my camera. I was hoping my phantom could be my feet.
Would it be true then, that a plane could fly legally within 400 ft, of that same cliff?
Aircraft can legally fly "on the deck", meaning 1' off the surface, in "sparsely populated areas", as per FAA 91.119. To my knowledge, "sparsely populated", has never been defined. And yes, an aircraft could fly 1' off the face of the cliff legally too, as long as there were no "structures or persons" on the cliff face, (that would require a 500' lateral separation, to remain legal). Don't get confused by the 400' lateral separation from structures for drones, and the 500' lateral separation from structures for "aircraft". Both are correct.
Anyone on here will tell you I'm all about "legal", but we're splitting hairs here. If you are in Class G, (uncontrolled) airspace and if the cliff is not being used by sailplanes, hang-gliders and what-not, stay very close to it, climb, and enjoy yourself. Just keep your eyes peeled for traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aircraft can legally fly "on the deck", meaning 1' off the surface, in "sparsely populated areas", as per FAA 91.119. To my knowledge, "sparsely populated", has never been defined. And yes, an aircraft could fly 1' off the face of the cliff legally too, as long as there were no "structures or persons" on the cliff face, (that would require a 500' lateral separation, to remain legal).
Anyone on here will tell you I'm all about "legal", but we're splitting hairs here. If you are in a rural, sparsely populated area, and the cliff is not being used by sailplanes, hang-gliders and what-not, stay very close to it, climb, and enjoy yourself. Just keep your eyes peeled for traffic.
Thank you. I like to know the law well. That way you know your boundaries. I have done and still try to metal detect. I'm very compliant with the authorities, but I never let ignorant police bully me around.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl