IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

Dear Members,
Thank you for your response, I feel a lot better.
I got my information from the FAA app. (B4UFLY)
If this app.is bogus please advise.
Best Regards,
William E. Burrows Jr.

Your bigger problem, regardless of FAA rules, is that you are within 5 miles of a stadium and if DJI decides that a stadium is a permanent red zone rather than a discretionary one you will not be able to fly at home. Currently DJI classifies private airstrips and heliports as warning zones and as such will only notify you when you are getting close. These areas will not now restrict your starting up or entering that airspace.

Last edited:
I think this is being exaggerated a bit. As with most forums, people who are not having issues have no ax to grind so they are not posting. Only thing the upgrade did in my case is remove all the yellow zones and substantially shrink the red zone for one nearby airport. CDW had the same no fly as EWR which was ridiculous and looks to have been fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 400
I see no difference between 2.4.2 and 2.4.3. The NFZs popped up in 2.4.2. Neither stopped me from powering up to a 1.2m hover in my part of the world. No unlock prompts either.

I'm at 1.3.20 and haven't been past 1.4. The RC is at 2.5.
DJI go app 2.4.1 and earlier versions might be free of NFZs infections/ injections.

I installed today and when I started it displays "Approaching No Fly Zone". I HAD NEVER SEEN THIS MESSAGE BEFORE.

DJI IS TOTALLY SILENT ABOUT THIS CHANGE ON DJI GO APP 2.5. WHY???????????

View attachment 40107

View attachment 40108

View attachment 40109

I don't see any place to fly now, I am trapped.
Awesome report! thanks so much for the info and the attached pictures of what transpired. Appreciate it. On that note, When I boot up the machine, it has been telling me Software update required. I just have been ignoring that and all seems to be okay. I guess I never really have to update if I don't want to?

Your bigger problem, regardless of FAA rules, is that you are within 5 miles of a stadium and if DJI decides that a stadium is a permanent red zone rather than a discretionary one you will not be able to fly at home. Currently DJI classifies private airstrips and heliports as warning zones and as such will only notify you when you are getting close. These areas will not now restrict your starting up or entering that airspace.

Dear Jeff,
You tell it like it is which I appreciate.
Please advise me on the FAA (B4UFLY) app.
Best Regards,
William E. Burrows Jr.

2.4.0 has the red zones
How do you know that?

Read the claim of post #577 unless that is proved incorrect, I will keep my stand that app 2.4.1 is free of NFZs.

If you have better inner information, please share with us.

Last edited:
When the originally sparse NFZ's were established a couple years ago, many said "I'm no where near those, and I have no desire to fly there." Then they added more. Still, most said it's no issue. Well, now you all see the dilemma with turning a blind eye to the practice. I don't doubt that soon, anti-droners will be allowed to register their property as NFZ, and you'll have so many NFZ's everywhere that flying will become impossible.

Reminds of the "first they came for XYZ and I said nothing" parable... This is government. This is the land of the free, home of the brave. Enjoy.

Keep in mind that these guys No Fly Zone and AirMap are one and the same. It's not accidental that the websites have a lot in common.

Just flew today with the following versions:
App 2.4.2 (ios)
Aircraft 1.6.40
RC 1.5.70

The app did NOT require me to unlock prior to flying
Below are the screenshots from Go App as well as DJI's GEO-System Map.

As you can see, there are NFZ's in the app but they are tight" around the airports.
Whereas the DJI GEO-System map has the yellow authorization required unlock zones spanning 5 nautical mile radius.

FYI.....I will NOT be changing NOR upgrading my software/firmware for sometime.
2016-Jan-16 DJI GEO Unlock Map | DJI Phantom Forum
2016-Jan-16 DJI GO App 2.4.2 | DJI Phantom Forum

Just flew today with the following versions:
App 2.4.2 (ios)
Aircraft 1.6.40
RC 1.5.70

The app did NOT require me to unlock prior to flying

I'll be unboxing and setting up my Phantom Standard this weekend. My plan is to start with the 2.3.0 version of the app on iOS, which I was able to install with the XML hack posted earlier.

Does anyone know, or could estimate what version of the firmware may be installed on an aircraft that was received from DJI in mid December?

How do you know that?

Read the claim of post #577 unless that is proved incorrect, I will keep my stand that app 2.4.1 is free of NFZs.

If you have better inner information, please share with us.
I forgot to upgrade my wife's iPhone 6+ as I never use it (2.4.0). I checked it today (leaving LTE and wifi connected) and the NFZs appeared the same as they did when I checked my iPhone 6 (2.4.3) and my iPad mini 2 (on either 2.5 or 2.5.1).

Dear Jeff,
You tell it like it is which I appreciate.
Please advise me on the FAA (B4UFLY) app.
Best Regards,
William E. Burrows Jr.

The B4UFLY app is an accurate representation of all heliports, airports and air strips in the FAA database. However, I believe that the map the app is using not just for hobbyists but can be also used to advise 333 (commercial) flyers of their responsibility/liability. You will note that, by default, only the controlled airspace airports are lit up in yellow. You have to click on the others to get the circle to appear.
That is my guess about the app other than it is an accurate FAA map.

DJI Go 2.50 iOS is available today.

3. NFZ server is active since release of app version 2.5. Initially it was restricting flying even in the vicinity of helipads, hospitals etc but now it is showing only airports as NFZs this is a relief to all drone fliers

Sadly this is not a relief to those of us that actually fly those helicopters in emergency response services into those hospitals and helipads.
While most drone users are careful and safe, you only need one or two that doesn't to have an accident.

I hope they bring that feature back. sorry

I forgot to upgrade my wife's iPhone 6+ as I never use it (2.4.0). I checked it today (leaving LTE and wifi connected) and the NFZs appeared the same as they did when I checked my iPhone 6 (2.4.3) and my iPad mini 2 (on either 2.5 or 2.5.1).
Very interesting information. Thanks.

We should also know that RC stores the last captured maps with NFZs. Are you sure it is not showing saved information? I don't know how to erase cache of RC.

Request, please don't upgrade 2.4.0 on your wife's phone. It has immense value as of today.

We have two unsolved puzzles today on DJI App:

1. When was a capability to display NFZs added?

2. When was a capability to access web servers added?

Last edited:
Reactions: jimerb
Very interesting information. Thanks.

We should also know that RC stores the last captured maps with NFZs. Are you sure it is not showing saved information? I don't know how to erase cache of RC.

Request, please don't upgrade 2.4.0 on your wife's phone. It has immense value as of today.

Good point.

I turned off "cache maps in background" and closed the app.
I next turned the phone onto "airplane mode"
Opened the app and there were no maps displayed.
I closed the app and turned "airplane mode" off and reinitiated LTE
Opened the app and the map displayed WITH the NFZs

I promise I won't upgrade her phone since I will never have the need since I got the iPad 2 mini

All of this was without being connected to the RC

Reactions: Reed L
Thanks.

Your tests confirm that App 2.40 is capable to fetch and display NFZs.

I need to revise the summary on my post #1 now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
Wow I don't know what to do. Almost everything around St. Louis is yellow or red. Hospitals ,parks., businesses etc. I have a 1400.00 plus 3 batt and accessories paper weight. I'm so pissed

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Got in an actual flight this morning with 2.5.1 installed and wifi active.

Pushed her pretty hard for about 12 minutes in 28 degree F weather. Winds were about 12-14 aloft.

Nearest NFZ from my launch site is 5.4 miles to outer perimeter and I never got closer than 4.3 miles.

Happy to report no problems at all. Fingers crossed.

Full HealthyDrones report here.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Reactions: schroeder1959

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing