If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

prostreetcamaro said:
Guys I just placed an order for the phantom 2 vision+ V3 at BH photo. Just stumbled across this thread so I registered. Would I be wise to cancel the order and instead order the little bit cheaper non V3 from them instead?

Its still cheaper to order the V3. It has improved shielding and the better wifi unit. The motor wires can be addressed for less than all those upgrades.

Jeremy

burlbark said:
prostreetcamaro said:
Guys I just placed an order for the phantom 2 vision+ V3 at BH photo. Just stumbled across this thread so I registered. Would I be wise to cancel the order and instead order the little bit cheaper non V3 from them instead?

Its still cheaper to order the V3. It has improved shielding and the better wifi unit. The motor wires can be addressed for less than all those upgrades.

Jeremy

I will stick with it then. Which wire do you suggest? I am decent at soldering so if I find the need I can do it myself.

prostreetcamaro said:

Your phantom will be fine. I ordered my v3 from B&H last month and it was the updated version with the 2.1 ESC's, vented wifi module, new motors etc. They were well aware of the problems and made sure to update their inventory.

Get it. Fly it. And don't sweat it!

AmosMoses said:
prostreetcamaro said:

Your phantom will be fine. I ordered my v3 from B&H last month and it was the updated version with the 2.1 ESC's, vented wifi module, new motors etc. They were well aware of the problems and made sure to update their inventory.

Thanks that is good to know! I am most looking forward to trying out the waypoints.

prostreetcamaro said:
AmosMoses said:
prostreetcamaro said:

Thanks that is good to know! I am most looking forward to trying out the waypoints.
Look into a good tracking device would be a good idea. You might never need it but it will give ya peace of mind in case the worst happens.

prostreetcamaro said:
burlbark said:
prostreetcamaro said:

Jeremy

I will stick with it then. Which wire do you suggest? I am decent at soldering so if I find the need I can do it myself.

A high temp 18g silicone jacketed multistrand wire. You can find it all over ebay.

Jeremy

wires on top are 20AWG which come stock from DJI on V3 phantoms,
wires on bottom 18AWG are the ones Jeremy and I are using to replace the stock ones.
the later ones are very similar to the ones DJI would install in V2 Phantoms.

Attachments

• 10273230_10206014387665927_4492244907924893333_o.jpg
    10273230_10206014387665927_4492244907924893333_o.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 378

Happy V3 owner here, purchased last friday. Serial number starting PH646

UKFlyer said:
I purchased my new V3 from firstpersonview after speaking to them about my concerns, they had assured me they had the latest stock direct from dji and it arrived yesterday :D
True to their word the serial number starts with PH646 which i've read is the latest model and it was very satisfying to see the new 2.1 esc's, vented wifi, gps shielding and sheilding with ferrite beads on the video and gps cables i think? Also good to see both batteries are the new PH2 self discharging type.
After charging up all the batteries i plugged the V3 into the pc to update the firmware, now in naza assistant it told me there was an update for the 3.12 firmware so i just decided to click the "upgrade all" at the bottom and a message popped up saying Status ok or something and no need to upgrade so after a basic imu calibration, tx calibrated in rc assistant all was good to go for my first flight today.
After a compass calibration i noticed how quickly it was connected to 10 satellites and up she goes, it flies flawlessly and holds a perfect hover, what amazed me the most was the fact that i was using the highest preview setting at 640x480x30fps and the live video was perfect on my galaxy s5, i only flew out to around 1000ft with about 180ft height but the video never lagged or anything. My old vision+ used to lag a bit on the high preview setting until i upgraded the antennas to the fpvlr stage 2 kit but this V3 is totally stock, no booster was used either because i forgot to turn it on. I've got the stage 2 kit on its way for this V3 so should be good for a bit of distance too when i fit those.
The new scroll/tilt on the tx is great too and just the job, a very smooth tilt is now possible and your finger is naturally placed there.

After todays perfect short flight i plugged it back into the naza assistant to set my parimeters and such and i noticed i had been flying on the 3.08 firmware!
That "upgrade all" button at the bottom is very misleading, it was not until i clicked on the actual update 3.12 a page come up saying do i wish to upgrade? so upgraded to 3.12 and done the usual power cycle. I wondered why i did not see any downloading or power cycle yesterday, looking back it did actually tell me their was an update but i closed the page without realising, the thing is why did it not upgrade to the 3.12 when i clicked "upgrade all"?
So the good news is that i can tell you she flies perfectly on the 3.08 firmware but i've not tried the 3.12 yet, wish me luck.
My V3, serial number starting PH646.

New 2.1 esc's, the wires look skinny though. Is this still a concern? I moved the wired off the mosfets and straightened the wires as best as i could.
2r6f6rq.jpg

GPS and plug now shielded.
iznkmd.jpg

vented wifi unit, sheilded cable with ferrite beads.
352hzio.jpg

more shielding and ferrite beads.
281ya7r.jpg

PH2 battery.
349778p.jpg

serial number 646 is the latest model i hear?
2gvqyx4.jpg

I will let you know how i get on with the new 3.12 firmware. :D

My hotglue support for the motor wires.
Supports against vibration and holding fine so far.

20150310_181530.jpg

Glad to hear you are so happy with your v3. However if you don't do something about those motor wires you are playing with fire. Fix them one way or another so at least you will have peace of mind.

BlackTracer said:
Glad to hear you are so happy with your v3. However if you don't do something about those motor wires you are playing with fire. Fix them one way or another so at least you will have peace of mind.

They do look very thin, is it best to replace them with thicker wire? I don't really like the idea of doing this although i'm sure i can solder a few wires if need be.

UKFlyer said:
BlackTracer said:

They do look very thin, is it best to replace them with thicker wire? I don't really like the idea of doing this although i'm sure i can solder a few wires if need be.

Its not the gauge of the wire that's the issue. It is the fact that it is not multi-stranded cable. If there is a fracture in those cables during assembly, then the vibration can "finish the job" as it were, resulting in a complete loss of connection. I have the same serial range as you, and mine looks identical to yours. I have not changed the wires on mine yet, but I must admit to being somewhat nervous about this. Unlike some scaremongering posts on here, I don't think failure of all V3s is a certain even with a large number of flights. It just depends on what happened to the wire while it was being bent into position and soldered at the factory.

UKFlyer said:
BlackTracer said:

Hay UKFlyer,
Do not worry so much and stay a happy v3 flyer. The so called 'wire problems' of the v3 are largely speculative and not backed up by hard evidence. Many many proud v3 owners (like myself) haven't experienced any problems with their bird. Therefor I would advise you not to start massing with your wires as it will probably do more bad than good.
Just fly happely!! [THUMBS UP SIGN]

aartsf said:
burlbark said:
prostreetcamaro said:

Jeremy

UKFlyer said:
Happy V3 owner here, purchased last friday. Serial number starting PH646

UKFlyer said:
I purchased my new V3 from firstpersonview after speaking to them about my concerns, they had assured me they had the latest stock direct from dji and it arrived yesterday :D
True to their word the serial number starts with PH646 which i've read is the latest model and it was very satisfying to see the new 2.1 esc's, vented wifi, gps shielding and sheilding with ferrite beads on the video and gps cables i think? Also good to see both batteries are the new PH2 self discharging type.
After charging up all the batteries i plugged the V3 into the pc to update the firmware, now in naza assistant it told me there was an update for the 3.12 firmware so i just decided to click the "upgrade all" at the bottom and a message popped up saying Status ok or something and no need to upgrade so after a basic imu calibration, tx calibrated in rc assistant all was good to go for my first flight today.
After a compass calibration i noticed how quickly it was connected to 10 satellites and up she goes, it flies flawlessly and holds a perfect hover, what amazed me the most was the fact that i was using the highest preview setting at 640x480x30fps and the live video was perfect on my galaxy s5, i only flew out to around 1000ft with about 180ft height but the video never lagged or anything. My old vision+ used to lag a bit on the high preview setting until i upgraded the antennas to the fpvlr stage 2 kit but this V3 is totally stock, no booster was used either because i forgot to turn it on. I've got the stage 2 kit on its way for this V3 so should be good for a bit of distance too when i fit those.
The new scroll/tilt on the tx is great too and just the job, a very smooth tilt is now possible and your finger is naturally placed there.

After todays perfect short flight i plugged it back into the naza assistant to set my parimeters and such and i noticed i had been flying on the 3.08 firmware!
That "upgrade all" button at the bottom is very misleading, it was not until i clicked on the actual update 3.12 a page come up saying do i wish to upgrade? so upgraded to 3.12 and done the usual power cycle. I wondered why i did not see any downloading or power cycle yesterday, looking back it did actually tell me their was an update but i closed the page without realising, the thing is why did it not upgrade to the 3.12 when i clicked "upgrade all"?
So the good news is that i can tell you she flies perfectly on the 3.08 firmware but i've not tried the 3.12 yet, wish me luck.
My V3, serial number starting PH646.

New 2.1 esc's, the wires look skinny though. Is this still a concern? I moved the wired off the mosfets and straightened the wires as best as i could.
2r6f6rq.jpg

GPS and plug now shielded.
iznkmd.jpg

vented wifi unit, sheilded cable with ferrite beads.
352hzio.jpg

more shielding and ferrite beads.
281ya7r.jpg

PH2 battery.
349778p.jpg

serial number 646 is the latest model i hear?
2gvqyx4.jpg

I will let you know how i get on with the new 3.12 firmware. :D

UKFlyer said:
BlackTracer said:

Hay UKFlyer,
Do not worry so much and stay a happy v3 flyer. The so called 'wire problems' of the v3 are largely speculative and not backed up by hard evidence. Many many proud v3 owners (like myself) haven't experienced any problems with their bird. Therefor I would advise you not to start massing with your wires as it will probably do more bad than good.
I think the same. An hand made solder could be worse than original one...

To be honest i agree, if it does fall out of the sky then hopefully i can recover it and send back with the evidence of the wires. My main concern was the esc type but now i see they are 2.1 i'm happy. Cannot wait to try out the new 3.12 firmware. :D

Wouldn't you rather have it not fall out of the sky? If I were you I would at least do the hot glue as that will keep those wires from vibrating and flexing.

This is not fear but an ounce of common sense.

BlackTracer said:
Wouldn't you rather have it not fall out of the sky? If I were you I would at least do the hot glue as that will keep those wires from vibrating and flexing.

This is not fear but an ounce of common sense.

I personally would not chance a flight with the solid wires. Starting on page 62 we see that DJI is trying to remedy this issue with silicone and then later shrink wrapping the low temp fragile insulation to the esc's :(

We have seen dozens of them fail now and as people continue to fly them it will only increase with hours of vibration. The information has been provided how to replace them and detailed pictures. DJI has shown time and time again to not honor warranty's when crashes have occurred. Flyer beware.....

Jeremy James

aartsf said:
UKFlyer said:
BlackTracer said:

Hay UKFlyer,

How in the world can you say this?

The Version 3 Visions have been losing a motor midflite and crashing to the ground and people open them up and find a broken motor lead. DJI has started to try and issue fixes, silicone or shrink wrap to keep the wires from vibrating.

How can you say its "speculative" or "not backed by hard evidence"....You cant. To do so is the definition of stupid. No pun or offense intended.

Ugh. I just purchased my phantom in early february from Adorama, out of return policy by 4 days, cracked it open and found these V2.0s. I've only flown it on the weekends and not very hard as I'm still learning, everything looks solid inside. Looking back through this book of a thread though, most people seem to have the 2.1s and aren't worried. What are the people with the 2.0s doing who are under warranty? Are you all really replacing wires even when everything looks okay?

Drano said:
Ugh. I just purchased my phantom in early february from Adorama, out of return policy by 4 days, cracked it open and found these V2.0s. I've only flown it on the weekends and not very hard as I'm still learning, everything looks solid inside. Looking back through this book of a thread though, most people seem to have the 2.1s and aren't worried. What are the people with the 2.0s doing who are under warranty? Are you all really replacing wires even when everything looks okay?

You can have 2.0 esc's that have been flashed properly, I guess. I have seen several of them(2.0 esc) that have crashed and had prop strikes and the esc did not fail immediately.

If you want the utmost reliability you need to change the motor leads. Please dont bend them back and forth trying to get them to break or test them. You may be able to get more life out of them by applying hot glue directly to the solder joint on the esc and keep it off the mosfets, no guarantees but it should help dampen the vibrations.

By all means contact your seller or DJI and voice your concern on the lack of 2.1 esc's. They may have you send it in for repair and update your esc's/

Jeremy James

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT