If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Thanks.... again.

Why the multiple posts???

Crashed my Phantom 2 with 2312 motors because of a broken motor wire. I would advise ppl to fix this. Mine had like 40 flights on it when it happened.

Video of the crash here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another video of the crash can be seen if you click on my name on YouTube.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Stupid thing just fell out of the sky...

These are the facts:
- Both switches on transmitter was up.
- Made sure it was blinking only green before takeoff.
- Homeposition was locked
- 9 satelites according to OSD.
- Battery fully charged, and clicked properly in.
- Fully charged transmitter
- Fell when it was 100 meter up, and 1100 meter out.
- I did not do the CSC command. Was going straingt forward.
- When it fell, I saw it on FPV screen.
- Fell after 2 minutes flight.

When found I noticed the following:
- No blinking LED's on the arms.
- One motor only stuttering. 3 motors runs, but one is crocked.
- Not reacting to CSC command.
- Battery shows 3 bars out of 4.
- Gimbal and Gopro missing (thrown 5 meter away)
- 5.8Ghz Transmitter missing (also thrown some meters away)
- My incredible luck that it was caught by a tree.

Specs:
- Dji Phantom 2
- Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal
- FPV hub
- Upgrade compas
- Dji iOSD
- Dji AVL58 5.8Ghz TX
- Upgrade transmitter (lipo, gimbal turnknob)
- Gopro Hero 3 Black edition

Cause of crash was found to be a broken motor wire. It was one of the 2312 motors with crappy stiff wires.

When you say broken motor wire are you talking about a bad solder job on the esc board or where it connects up to the motor or are you talking about the wire itself is bad? I have a brand new p2v+v3 and have not flown yet but about too. Would be nice if I could solve an issue before I have one while flying.

Its the wire that breaks. Just behind the solder spot. I have just replaced all my motorwires to stranded wires. Stiff wires breaks by the vibrations.

So flying my Phantom 2 this afternoon, probably my 30th flight (dont fly near what I thought I would) and about halfway into it the thing took a hard turn upwards, fell 10 foot or so. Then did the hard turn up, and another fall, by the time it went to do this again, it hit the ground. Lucky for me it went down in a empty field that is overgrown with weeds and such. I suffered a little damage, one of the arms is slightly bent upwards, very minimal though. Only way I even noticed is the blade comes closer to the top of the shell than its neighbouring blade. Hopefully this wont effect flight much. I picked it up, attempted start the motors and got the confused motor result. Do I spin left, no I need to spin right, then back to left again. I knew this was a ESC issue from prior readings, however I didnt hit anything. This was mid flight and 60 foot up. I do have the 2312 motors, and had already separated the wires like recommended, so I was a bit curious as to what happened. Popped the top off and found the black wire coming from the motor had broken off right at the solder point. I am guessing this is do to the solid wire in a flexible chassis issue, it cant handle the vibrations well and fails in due time. Now I need to order a ESC, are there better and newer ones for the 2312 motors? Also wondering about the wire replacement, I do have a solder gun, but its a el' cheapo model. It doesnt get very hot, and takes forever to do so. So I'll need a new one, or might it be cheaper to find someone to do the mod for me?

Thanks for reading!

If you bent the arm theres a good chance its going to crack in the future with catastrophic results, a new shell will be added to your needs list at some point (or some cheapo tape) ;)
Its usually cheaper if a friend does it who has a decent soldering iron and get him to change those wires while hes in there.

Reactions: IamTheOneWhoKnocks
If you bent the arm theres a good chance its going to crack in the future with catastrophic results, a new shell will be added to your needs list at some point (or some cheapo tape) ;)
Its usually cheaper if a friend does it who has a decent soldering iron and get him to change those wires while hes in there.

Thanks for the info! Just ordered a decent soldering iron, 60 WATT, and will start looking for the wire and a replacement ESC. I created a thread in hopes of finding info on doing the wire swap, Ive searched, looked through here (lots of pages) but cant find a detailed set of instructions. I will try to get some pics up on the thread I made, the wire being broke and the arm as well.

Thread is here ESC Failure, black wire broken. Need info on MOD

YouTube probably best for instructional vids like that, you should get a temperature controlled iron really, theyre more useful for light and heavy work, just open your Phantom to see whats needed, i havent done this mod but itll be a simple case of desoldering the old wires and adding new ones i would imagine, look at tinning wires on YT if your not used to soldering things and practice on something else first until your happy with the results.

Last edited:
YouTube probably best for instructional vids like that, you should get a temperature controlled iron really, theyre more useful for light and heavy work, just open your Phantom to see whats needed, i havent done this mod but itll be a simple case of desoldering the old wires and adding new ones i would imagine, look at tinning wires on YT if your not used to soldering things and practice on something else first until your happy with the results.

The part that probably confuses me the most is the wires are coming directly out of the motor. They are the windings themselves, or so Ive read. I havent taken the motor off to verify this yet, a good quality image would be helpful.

One would think DJ wouldve seen this problem during testing. The wires seem to break at around 30-50 flights, did they not test fly them enough or what?

I think you would snip them shorter and add a connector inline to a better wire that you solder onto the ESC board.
I have had plenty of crashes with Phantom 1 and 2 but so far no wires off as yet, perhaps some batches (or employee) was just crap at soldering lol ... Mr CantZee Zhit - you are fired!

Were probably looking at a Chinese slave labour operation like Apple uses to make their phones, i doubt any will be enthusiastic about your drone when making 1000 per day for 2 carrots, a pickled egg and 2hours sleep (standing) a day. :eek:

Last edited:
haha! funny thing, the other day I was watching something on the TV. It was showing how in China they sleep standing up, even while riding the subways. There are chin (no pun intended) straps on the subway trains that they rest their chins in, allowing them to sleep while standing! We find is amusing, though in reality its kinda sad that one would be worked to that point.

Back to topic...J Dot provided a interesting theory on the breaking wires. Being that the solder is still fully in tact, it is in fact the wire that beaks. This happens in production, a machine strips the wire and another will tin it, and maybe even solder it (bye bye Mr CantZee Zhit). In the process of stripping the wires back, many times a small indention is made in the copper, thus making it weak from the jump. I work for the telephone company and when I am stripping a cat5 pair, if the strippers are not perfect, the wire breaks while bending it around a terminal. So the vibrations, weakened wires, and the fact I separated my wiring from reading about the heat stress scare, I think I know why it broke.

Sounds like the EU masterplan too, let your slaves sleep standing, very sad indeed.

Hmmmm yes, thats a good deduction Holmes, add to that China's standards will be nowhere near what they should be, is the wire a grade A product to begin with...probably not, hello Mr CantMake Zhit!

Coming soon ... Breaking Bad: Wires. (Pilot episode). :p

Last edited:
Reactions: IamTheOneWhoKnocks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.