If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

UKFlyer said:
Thanks, so just to clarify. Should it be the latest model if it says on the esc 2.1 and the wifi module is vented? Cheers

While the best way of identifying the ESC is by opening the top shell, supposedly capacitors on the ESC marked with yellow on the top are a sign that it's a V3 compatible ESC. This can be seen without opening the top by shining a torch behind the vents on one of the arms and looking through the other side. It's still best to open it up to be sure, and of course just because it doesn't have a yellow mark on-top of the capacitor doesn't mean it definitely isn't right, because they only recently started doing this.

OK. I just took delivery on my new P2V+ yesterday, directly from DJI. Do I need to be concerned with this issue? or has it been resolved? Can I check my serial number and know that after a certain number that the problem has been resolved?

Got mine back from DJI Wednesday. It had the blue marks, no version on the ESC's. Popped the top to have a look today. Interesting find.

Only one ESC has V2.0 on it, three have no version number and one of those three has a totally different font on the label. All have the yellow capacitor mark.

The wires have been secured with what appears to be a strip of heat shrink tubing so there is no way to raise them or separate them.

Oh well. I guess I won't be putting the go pro back on any time soon. Will just fly as is and see how it goes for a while. GPS plug is tight.

I hadn't seen the heat shrink before so I thought I would share.

GPS plug is tight <======= CORRECTION - it is not. I was moving it the wrong way. Added a bit of tie wrap. :roll:

Attachments

• new esc4.jpg
    new esc4.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 501
  • new esc6.jpg
    new esc6.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 517

I'm wating for mine from Fedex We will see what they did

In that first picture it looks like the solder blob for the red wire is making contact with the solder on the Philips screw next to it. Any idea if that screw is connected to anything electrically?

Gary

phalcon51 said:
In that first picture it looks like the solder blob for the red wire is making contact with the solder on the Philips screw next to it. Any idea if that screw is connected to anything electrically?

Gary

The screw should not be connected to anything but I dont allow it in my builds. If the silk screen or the masking where to wear thin and the screw ran to ground it would short out.

This is very interesting with the shrink wrap, I think it may work. Its definitely the cheapest quickest approach. I dont see any problems with it except with chaffing the wires on the surface components and shorting out the esc....

Oh no, did they actually make it worse :(

I have taken thermal pictures with my flir E8 and the hottest component is directly below where they have the wires anchored with the shrink wrap. Why they dont wrap the wires in silicon slip on jackets and zip them together I do not know.... Once again flexible braided wire is a must in this application and we will continue to see bandaids.

Jeremy

Attachments

• Ryan 014.JPG
    Ryan 014.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 493

Marlin009 said:
Got mine back from DJI Wednesday. It had the blue marks, no version on the ESC's. Popped the top to have a look today. Interesting find.

Only one ESC has V2.0 on it, three have no version number and one of those three has a totally different font on the label. All have the yellow capacitor mark.

The wires have been secured with what appears to be a strip of heat shrink tubing so there is no way to raise them or separate them.

Oh well. I guess I won't be putting the go pro back on any time soon. Will just fly as is and see how it goes for a while. GPS plug is tight.

I hadn't seen the heat shrink before so I thought I would share.

GPS plug is tight <======= CORRECTION - it is not. I was moving it the wrong way. Added a bit of tie wrap. :roll:

Just got mine back Identical to yours. And the DUMB ASSES AT DJI,over tightend one of the screws on the arms and it won't come out. I'm done. I'm going flying!

I too have the latest version of the Phantom 2 (but non Vision), purchased mid-February.
It has the v 2.1 ESC's (all labeled as v 2.1), and of course with the 2312 motors.

But... indeed those motor wires (or extended motor windings, if you like) are incredibly thin, and like some of you say: a ticking time bomb - when looking at the solder joints on the ESC.
The actual "lead" inside the heat shrinking is like 1 mm thin, and - especially when exposed too much (heat shrinking stripped a little too much from factory) - looks just too prone to snapping off clean while suspected to high frequency vibrations. In other words: when you are flying.

Jeremy James stated it took him 7 "wiggles" to break one wire, it took me 5. After basically coming fresh out of the factory.
I have actually flown it for 6 times before that, and since there is truly no real noticeable difference in both performance and flight time when compared to the original 2212 motors (at least for me), I am actually starting to regret selling my previous version Phantom 2.

The solution was simple though: desolder the 2312 motors, take them out, and I went with the (black) 2212 E300 motor set. Direct drop-in, the same (or at least very very similar) to the original 2212 motors, and of course working with the self tightening 9450 props.
Soldered them directly to the v 2.1 ESC's, and it flies like a dream. And like I said, without noticeable difference when compared to the latest 2312 motors. And black motors look fine too, of course!

And the best part: like the original 2212 Phantom motors, they come with 18 AWG, flexible, multi stranded motor wires, with silicon insulation.

Just wanted to go with a lasting, and foremost RELIABLE setup.

Some of us put the new 2312 motors on our non v3's just before xmas... just before the esc 2.1 issue was discovered... anyways yeah me and a few others also didn't notice any performance difference which was disappointing.. Well actually they seemed to have better stopping power and the new motors were just a little quieter... Anyways due to the ESC issue we took the new motors off and put old ones back on.. as no real gains from new motors didn't warrant potential for the quad to fall from sky (due to ESC issue)..

I finally ordered some ESC 2.1 and installed them all a week or 2 ago, put the new 2312 motors back in and I now think there is a performance increase with the motors.
When I was doing testing I was with a friend who had the stock 2212 motors and my 2312's out performed his quad in all aspects.

Originally back in xmas I thought the new motors sucked and were a waste of money, even though it wasn't much money, like 4 x $30 or so... they sucked... but now with the right ESC I am alot happier with the performance.. and honestly if I wasn't flying with my friend at the same time I probably wouldnt of noticed a big diff, but because we had them flying side by side the performance increase was noticable and I am glad I spent the $120 on 2312's and another $120 on the correct ESC..

so yeah... as with all testing.. really helps to have someone to test with and do a comparison at exact same time.

justin00 said:
Some of us put the new 2312 motors on our non v3's just before xmas... just before the esc 2.1 issue was discovered... anyways yeah me and a few others also didn't notice any performance difference which was disappointing.. Well actually they seemed to have better stopping power and the new motors were just a little quieter... Anyways due to the ESC issue we took the new motors off and put old ones back on.. as no real gains from new motors didn't warrant potential for the quad to fall from sky (due to ESC issue)..

I finally ordered some ESC 2.1 and installed them all a week or 2 ago, put the new 2312 motors back in and I now think there is a performance increase with the motors.
When I was doing testing I was with a friend who had the stock 2212 motors and my 2312's out performed his quad in all aspects.

Originally back in xmas I thought the new motors sucked and were a waste of money, even though it wasn't much money, like 4 x $30 or so... they sucked... but now with the right ESC I am alot happier with the performance.. and honestly if I wasn't flying with my friend at the same time I probably wouldnt of noticed a big diff, but because we had them flying side by side the performance increase was noticable and I am glad I spent the $120 on 2312's and another $120 on the correct ESC..

so yeah... as with all testing.. really helps to have someone to test with and do a comparison at exact same time.

And how did you deal with the thin motor wires with possible breaking issue? Not talking about heat (since the v 2.1 ESC's seem to have entirely solved that problem), but about the breaking just above the solder points because of the vibrations?
Or did you somehow manage to support the wires?

burlbark said:
Oh no, did they actually make it worse :(

I have taken thermal pictures with my flir E8 and the hottest component is directly below where they have the wires anchored with the shrink wrap. Why they dont wrap the wires in silicon slip on jackets and zip them together I do not know.... Once again flexible braided wire is a must in this application and we will continue to see bandaids.

Jeremy

You should know by now that is by DJI design, heat is constantly applied so the shrink wrap always shrink :lol: :roll:

It's still there. Another thread about a crash because of a motor wire broken off of the ESC.
Presumably in-flight, but some say could have been on impact.

I myself am thinking, how about hot glueing the solder points, as to extra support them against vibrations? Also done with the Walkera TALI H500.

RCblog.nl said:
It's still there. Another thread about a crash because of a motor wire broken off of the ESC.
Presumably in-flight, but some say could have been on impact.

I myself am thinking, how about hot glueing the solder points, as to extra support them against vibrations? Also done with the Walkera TALI H500.

It is hard to know if the wire came off mid-flight causing the crash, or whether the wire come off because of the crash. In other words, it doesn't assure us of the root cause. Nevertheless I cannot understand why DJI haven't re-engineered the motor wire rather than hacking at it with silicone or heatshrink or whatever next harebrained scheme they come up with.

It looks like all the version 3 Phantoms will eventually fail. This last one took quite a few hours and he was a very experienced pilot.

Jeremy James

burlbark said:
It looks like all the version 3 Phantoms will eventually fail. This last one took quite a few hours and he was a very experienced pilot.

Jeremy James

do you mean as originally built, designed and wired by DJI - w solid wires? Or is there another lurking item to address?

mad in nc said:
burlbark said:

Jeremy James

do you mean as originally built, designed and wired by DJI - w solid wires? Or is there another lurking item to address?

The original solid wire..... The only other lurking failure are DJI's software updates and hardwire fixes. ;)

Guys I just placed an order for the phantom 2 vision+ V3 at BH photo. Just stumbled across this thread so I registered. Would I be wise to cancel the order and instead order the little bit cheaper non V3 from them instead?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart