If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

NH Phantom said:
I've sent 2 back to Amazon. Both having the older esc's. I had no issues with the returns at all. I didn't hear anything from them after about 10 days so I chatted with them and within 2 hours I had my refund. Finally bought one from DJI directly and it had all the good parts.
How to recognize if my p2v+ v3 has older esc or new esc without open it? Thanks

justin00 said:
Hunch.. which version of ESC do most of your clients who almost a crash do to wires dying have? And do you upgrade ESC to 2.1 for them? Or atleast recommend it?

do you guys just replave wires from thr bits sticking out ftom motors? Like in your first pic, do you rewire from that point?? Or do you take motor housing apart and change the wire from the part hidden by motor housing?? Thanks :)

Justin we replace the wire from that exposed point forward. There is not enough room to work with any deeper into the motor housing. I did some early attempts at deeper mounting and it proved to be more hassle than it was worth. The plastic strain relief and the 3 wires close together at the motor and smooth bends do not put any strain at the wire there.

I have had zero wire failures on all the upgraded birds I have done in the last couple of months and these are people that fly them. I do upgrade to 2.1 esc if I have any question on compatibility after examining them for heat stresses and then using my FLIR E8

Jeremy James

StevenQX said:
NH Phantom said:
I've sent 2 back to Amazon. Both having the older esc's. I had no issues with the returns at all. I didn't hear anything from them after about 10 days so I chatted with them and within 2 hours I had my refund. Finally bought one from DJI directly and it had all the good parts.
How to recognize if my p2v+ v3 has older esc or new esc without open it? Thanks

No can do. You have to take the top off.

Good News!!! After several back and forth emails and a few photos DJI has confirmed I have the correct no version ESC's installed!!! Just email them your concern and provide the Pahntom S/N on the aircraft body and/or wi fi S/N and they will tell you whether you have a problem. Here is a cut and paste from my DJI email:

My original inquiry:

I purchased two Phantom Vision + version 3.0 directly from your DJI website in November. I am member of the DJI Phantom 2 forum and I am aware that there are some problems with Electronic Speed Controllers (ESC's) and that some Vision + Ver3.0 do not have the correct ESC's installed for the V3.0 2312 motors, and are going bad. One of two phantoms I purchased has no version number on the ESC bar code stickers, where apparently the correct and updated ESC's have Version 2.0 or 2.1 printed on them. I have attached a picture of the esc.

I have been advised by others who have done so, to contact DJI in regard to this.

Could you please clarify this for me, or confirm that my aircraft has the correct ESC's installed. I have been told that DJI can verify this by means of the serial number that I have provided below. Thank you.

DJI response:

Thanks for contacting DJI.
Regarding your concerns, please kindly send us the SN number on either WIFI Extender or the aircraft body for our better analysis and troubleshooting.
We'll follow up your problem soon after getting your feedback.

and finally after sending them the information they requested i just got this today:

Dear Richard,

Regarding your concerns, your aircraft has the correct ESC's installed.
If you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

DJI Product Application Technical Support Center

Office hours: Monday to Friday , 9:00AM to 18:00PM (HongKong Time GMT+8:00)

Hmmmmm...then why are they unmarked? DJI has no answer to this. Mine is the same as yours and has been at DJI/LA for ONE MONTH, getting the correct ones installed!

Prylar Bek said:
Hmmmmm...then why are they unmarked? DJI has no answer to this. Mine is the same as yours and has been at DJI/LA for ONE MONTH, getting the correct ones installed!

I'm in the same boat :(

rdc4444 said:
Good News!!! After several back and forth emails and a few photos DJI has confirmed I have the correct no version ESC's installed!!! Just email them your concern and provide the Pahntom S/N on the aircraft body and/or wi fi S/N and they will tell you whether you have a problem. Here is a cut and paste from my DJI email:

My original inquiry:

I purchased two Phantom Vision + version 3.0 directly from your DJI website in November. I am member of the DJI Phantom 2 forum and I am aware that there are some problems with Electronic Speed Controllers (ESC's) and that some Vision + Ver3.0 do not have the correct ESC's installed for the V3.0 2312 motors, and are going bad. One of two phantoms I purchased has no version number on the ESC bar code stickers, where apparently the correct and updated ESC's have Version 2.0 or 2.1 printed on them. I have attached a picture of the esc.

I have been advised by others who have done so, to contact DJI in regard to this.

Could you please clarify this for me, or confirm that my aircraft has the correct ESC's installed. I have been told that DJI can verify this by means of the serial number that I have provided below. Thank you.

DJI response:

Regarding your concerns, please kindly send us the SN number on either WIFI Extender or the aircraft body for our better analysis and troubleshooting.

and finally after sending them the information they requested i just got this today:

Dear Richard,

Best regards,

Can you post the picture you sent them?

Prylar Bek said:

Ditto. Should have it Thursday.

Marlin009 said:
rdc4444 said:

My original inquiry:

DJI response:

Dear Richard,

Best regards,

Its on my iphone and Im not sure how to post the photo here. The photo clearly showed it was an no version esc with the blue mark on the capacitor. I looked very closely at all four esc's and the wires and nothing looked damaged/stressed. Ive taken the top off twice once to see which version esc I had and the second time to take photos. I have another phantom that has all the correct parts (2.1 esc & vented wi fi module) and I'm going to fly both and not worry about it and trust what DJI has stated that I have the correct esc's.....

Prylar Bek said:

I thought you told them you had another problem with your phantom something like it wasn't flying correctly and thats why they are replacing your esc's? Are they replacing them just because they are no version ESC's and if so did they ask for s/n and then after confirming s/n did they tell you to send it in?

rdc4444 said:
Marlin009 said:
rdc4444 said:

My original inquiry:

DJI response:

Dear Richard,

Best regards,

Its on my iphone and Im not sure how to post the photo here. The photo clearly showed it was an no version esc with the blue mark on the capacitor. I have another phantom that has all the correct parts (2.1 esc & vented wi fi module) and I'm going to fly both and not worry about it and trust what DJI has stated that I have the correct esc's.....

That is what I had. When I called the CA support center they said they were wrong. They paid to pick it up and send it back. You might want to call them.

No. They are replacing thembecaue they are the unmarked WRONG ESC's Need marked 2.1's

I just got off the phone with DJI's tech/customer support in Torrance, CA. I explained the blue staining and stress cracks on the front two arms, and the deteriorating motor mounts inside. I was asked if the unit had been crashed and explained I have a total of about 3 hours of flight time and not a crash or hard landing - I let him know that there is not a single scuff or scratch on the outside of this unit, They issued me an RMA. I also "asked" if it were possible to have the innards updated with the newer ESC's, braided and rerouted wires from the ESC's to the motors, and the vented WIFI housing. He said send it in. But I have to fill out a form to send it in, and on that form is where I need to state what I need to have done to the quadcopter.

Did I ask for the correct items for updating? Am I missing anything? Appreciate any help, thanks.

I guess now I sit and wait for forever... :(

new to me>>>???What are 'braided wires"?

Look at this...
91074 Unit Checked into Queue 1 month ago 1 day ago

Still waiting. This company has issues!

Prylar Bek said:
new to me>>>???What are 'braided wires"?
Hi Prylar,

There have apparently been some issues with the 2-strand large gauge copper wire from the motors to the ESC breaking at the solder points on the ESC due
to vibration. Burlbark (Jeremy) is fixing this by soldering stranded, (not really "braided"), wire from the motor wires just outside the motor case to the ESC. The stranded wire is made up of more than a hundred strands of very fine pure copper wire and is extremely flexible and resistant to vibration. When I first used this type of wire with RC cars it was called "wet noodle" wire because of it's flexibility. It is also my understanding that it is capable of carrying more amperage with less heating than the heavier gauge double-stranded wire. The explanation I read was that a lot of the current flow is along the surface of the wire and that there are many times the surface area with hundreds of fine-stranded wire than with the heavier gauge double-stranded wire. As an example, the 12 ga. Wet Noodle wire has over 620 strands, each one about the diameter of a strand of hair.

I just checked and Jeremy has posted a How-To for the flexible wire mod on his Facebook page about 4 hrs. ago:

https://www.facebook.com/USdronerepair

He's suggesting using 19 ga. silicone wire. I found some 18 ga. on Amazon which says that it has 150 strands of wire. Here are the specs:
"Max current: 20A. Conductor area: 0.75mm. Stranding: #150/0.08mm. Temperature: -60°C to +200°C. Outer diameter: 2.3mm"

Hope this helps,

Gary

PS - Where abouts in SoCal are you and where do you typically fly your bird?

Right, knew that. But are they coming braided on new versions from DJI? Don't think so. Mine are the normal, 'thick' versions. I fly at Apollo XI (not on the weekend)

Ah ok thanks. It seems like quite a straight forward and easy to do modification then?. For some reason I had it in my mind you did it from inside the housing which had made me think it would be beyond my skillset. But yeah I might give this more thought now it sounds like something I can actually do.

Might just enjoy flying with the new motors and keep monitoring wires every 2-3 hours of flight time, for the time being.

burlbark said:
justin00 said:
Hunch.. which version of ESC do most of your clients who almost a crash do to wires dying have? And do you upgrade ESC to 2.1 for them? Or atleast recommend it?

do you guys just replave wires from thr bits sticking out ftom motors? Like in your first pic, do you rewire from that point?? Or do you take motor housing apart and change the wire from the part hidden by motor housing?? Thanks :)

Justin we replace the wire from that exposed point forward. There is not enough room to work with any deeper into the motor housing. I did some early attempts at deeper mounting and it proved to be more hassle than it was worth. The plastic strain relief and the 3 wires close together at the motor and smooth bends do not put any strain at the wire there.

I have had zero wire failures on all the upgraded birds I have done in the last couple of months and these are people that fly them. I do upgrade to 2.1 esc if I have any question on compatibility after examining them for heat stresses and then using my FLIR E8

Jeremy James

Prylar Bek said:
Right, knew that. But are they coming braided on new versions from DJI? Don't think so. Mine are the normal, 'thick' versions. I fly at Apollo XI (not on the weekend)

No, I'm pretty sure the factory is still using the motor winding wires for the leads to the ESC. I think the poster was just asking DJI if they would do the "flexible wire" mod while they were in there. I'm reasonably sure they won't do it for him.

How's the flying over at Apollo? Is the flying area very limited?

Gary

They don't do ANY mods more then the scope of their work. Thats tough enough for them to achieve. Plenty of room at Apollo. I like it to experiment and fly without loads of people. Fun to chat em up on the wknd and see the fixed wing boys do their thing. Loads of room and usually no wind

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164