If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

Serious question.....does DJI not test new products at all before release? I have the new v3 with about 20 flights and no issues but this has me concerned. Reading the original post makes it sound as if failure is inevitable.

Could you post a video or pics how you are doing this mod?

hunch said:
If you have a Phantom 2 V3 you better consider doing this before flying at all !!
Another DJI's design flaw when they decided to put much thinner motor wire on.
Have those wires swapped because THEY WILL burn out your ESC and your new bird will fall out of the sky like a rock.
Burlbark and I are doing the swaps on a daily base. better check yours.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=view ... D1&lang=en

Like many, after reading I still not sure what to do, I do not mind doing the mod but do you have a video to show us what to do ?

Mako79 said:
Problem is not all of us can solder. And will DJI still cover warranty if we change to a thicker guage?

It's not that hard. Next rainy day hit a Radio Shack, grab some old wires off a broken toaster and practice. Heat the wire and let it melt the soldier - don't head the soldier and drip it on the wire. Get some of that copper braided flux stuff too and practice sucking soldier up. When you feel comfortable open up your bird and away you go. Or mail it off to Hunch.

As for your warranty, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sure you will void it but DJI won't honor it in any but the most absolute egregious situations anyway so nothing really lost. They sell you the bird and wash their hands of you - you really are on your own once you buy it.

Meta4 said:
Burlbark + Hunch singing together makes this a very persuasive duet.
If I had one of the new Phantoms I'd be looking very closely at this insurance.
I suspect it would be more valuable than any potential warranty from DJI.
So DJI fixed the GPS shielding they had ignored for so long in the P2 series only to slip in another fatal flaw.
Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Burl & Hunch are dead on in their assesments and are making folks aware of it. - DJI cheapen up their manufacturing and these thin wires are an issue. I've seen a few so far also and if you're not savvy to soldering - contact DJI directly w/your concerns.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

burlbark said:
flyNfrank said:
The wires do not separate. The thin wires you speak of are actual a continuation of the same wire that is spun throughout the motor. Replacing that wire will only cause point of resistance. Don't know why people think the wires at their size are what is causing the problem, because it's not!

Oh no this is incorrect for a couple different reasons.

You are correct saying this is the same wire spun through the motor. What you are failing to include is once a motor winding is no longer in the motor it can no longer heat sink to the motor housing and it is no longer being cooled by the circulating air passing by it. Heat produces more resistance and this continues to build. Add the flexing vibrating environment and this is a recipe for disaster.

In the case of the motor leads resistance, by stripping back 1/4" of insulation off the thin leads and inserting them into the larger gauge wire and then flowing solder through that end of wire, well there is no resistance present to speak of until we exceed the current capacity of the motors themselves.

What we are also doing here is adding a flexible section to these stiff leads that have already been shown to fatigue and break at the solder joints. The motors are constantly flexing and twisting and this results in stress on the stiff solder joints.

Once you develop micro cracks in the stiff thin copper leads from vibrations your resistance continues to build and overloads the insulation and the mosfet circuitry. So you can kiss the esc good bye also. This is one reason why we have seen the cooked insulation on wire that should be able to support this current load marginally.

And finally if you dont like this mod, you dont have to do it, and dont have it done. If you have followed any of my posted mods you will see that I have only added reliability to this flying platform.

Jeremy James

I don't understand your situation here. Are you logging in under 2 different accounts? The screen names are different from this post, and the one that started this thread.

Also on the link in the first post must be redirecting some place to someone elses thread on a different website. First thing I did was look for a Hunch, burlpark, or a Jeremy James on the link provided and I didn't have any luck finding either of the 3 names.

So whatever that situation is, I'm going to mention right away that I'm not going to get into any discussion with you about adding 3rd party wiring and points of resistance. Regardless of what is right, and what is not right, on the motors I'm simply not going to argue with you over it.

What I do want to point out is, not everyone is having the exact same issue as you are. And the fact that it is being suggested to put a bandaid over a bandade to end up with an even larger mess, doesn't get anyone anywhere.

And more importantly to me, I try to look out for those coming into this as a new hobby and not get discouraged to the point they want to bail out. When getting in situations where we're encouraging some of those to do things that are not part of their common day is when one problem just causes another problem, and it most instances it's just best to have left things alone. We have 12 points in which we solder. Now we're being encouraged to add additional 12. If those additional 12 soldering points were what DJI was putting out as the final cure, then this would be much different.

So as I say, not everyone has experienced what you have with your failure. Not everyone is removing their top cover and finding burnt marks inside the cover, nor is everyone burning up mosfets on their ESC boards. You are the first I heard of that has claimed to shows signs of a failure on each motor. It would be nice to see pic's of your stress thin wires so others can compare your pics witheir own should they have the covers off at any time.

Personally, I think the problem we are having with our quads dropping from the sky, is either current misfires through the wire insulation, or it's something before the motor/ESC combo. Most likely it's the 2nd one I mentioned, with being before the combo.

Not all, but when most drop, they drop by rolling to side. They roll, then drop. Because they seem to share this same characteristic is why I fill like it's in what communicates with the ESC's.

My recommendation is for all to be patient and wait. Btw, DJI may come up with something that would require everyone to do more soldering. Should that happen then we'll see guys saying how their soldering points are messed up from being soldered on so many times, ect.

EMCSQUAR said:
Meta4 said:
So DJI fixed the GPS shielding they had ignored for so long in the P2 series only to slip in another fatal flaw.

I've seen a few so far also and if you're not savvy to soldering - contact DJI directly w/your concerns.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

There ya go. That's the best way to go about it right there.

And see how members are confused and not sure. They read the thread title and think right away they need to something. Then, just like myself, they get redirected to something that is not clear on what to do or needs done, and so on.

I don't mean for this to seem like I'm slamming on you Jeremy. I just saw it coming down like this before I posted the 1st time. It's just not good to put a scare into others when they have such investments like they do.

flyNfrank said:
And see how members are confused and not sure. They read the thread title and think right away they need to something. Then, just like myself, they get redirected to something that is not clear on what to do or needs done, and so on.

I don't mean for this to seem like I'm slamming on you Jeremy. I just saw it coming down like this before I posted the 1st time. It's just not good to put a scare into others when they have such investments like they do.

I completely agree. It is a great day to fly and I'm not going to. I've written my dealer and DJI to see if they are seeing a statistically significant number of crashes. Until then, I've had my V3 apart the solder looks great, nothing feels hot after a 15 minute flight.

If this OP is to be believed, please post the images of the burned wires between the ESCs and motors.

I'm liking more my old Motors ESC combo with its thick as a brick cables. :D

Reactions: Mark The Droner

EMCSQUAR said:
Meta4 said:

Burl & Hunch are dead on in their assesments and are making folks aware of it. - DJI cheapen up their manufacturing and these thin wires are an issue. I've seen a few so far also and if you're not savvy to soldering - contact DJI directly w/your concerns.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Thank you for your logical assessment. There are numerous posts in this subject/failure now on multiple forums, it is a time sensitive issue. It takes a
while for the solid wire to start fatiguing and getting warm. Perhaps there will be users that dont experience this problem for the time that they own the quad.
Since we have now seen reports of nearing a dozen failures in this short frame of time, a solution had to be found. Of course this number does not account for those not writing on a forum. The failure rate appears to be growing and may be quite high even short term.

burlbark said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Meta4 said:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Thank you for your logical assessment. There are numerous posts in this subject/failure now on multiple forums, it is a time sensitive issue. It takes a
while for the solid wire to start fatiguing and getting warm. Perhaps there will be users that dont experience this problem for the time that they own the quad.
Since we have now seen reports of nearing a dozen failures in this short frame of time, a solution had to be found. Of course this number does not account for those not writing on a forum. The failure rate appears to be growing and may be quite high even short term.

I wonder if the failures have anything to do with the outside air temp? Warmer climates more failures cooler climate less failures?

hunch said:
If you have a Phantom 2 V3 you better consider doing this before flying at all !!
Have those wires swapped because THEY WILL burn out your ESC and your new bird will fall out of the sky like a rock.

I do not agree at all. From what I can see, the wires simply are an extension of the motor windings. It seems they just extended the winding wires out and covered them with color-coded plastic tubing. This is a good thing, because it eliminates another connection and possible failure point. If the windings will take the current, the leads, being just an extension of those windings, will as well. If you compare the new motors with the old, the windings are actually a thicker gauge wire. I am leaning towards the wire covering itself. Perhaps heat-shrink tubing over the leads as secondary protection against high current heating failure of the insulating tubing?

slothead said:
If this OP is to be believed, please post the images of the burned wires between the ESCs and motors.

Tom,
i will post some as soon as i get a chance but let me tell you a little fact about the new wires on the V3 Phantoms.
new wire is 22AWG which is rated for 1A (0.92 to be exact) currents.
the old wires on V2 Phantoms were 18AWG.
do you know what the new motors can pull in peak time? close to 20Amps.
so obviously you are creating a huge bottleneck with thinner wire which in result creates heat on the wire but not only that. it pulls higher amps from the ESCs
which are not rated for such high currents.
i know not everybody will agree with what Jeremy and myself are saying but all we are doing here is discovering the flaws of the phantom and trying to fix the flaw.

hani

Mako79 said:
Try and seperate the wires like the attached to prevent shorting.

In your picture you have separated the wires which is not a bad thing however you have also introduced a kink in 2 of the wires (yellow and black ) which is not good and can cause a weakness at that point.

CapnBob said:
hunch said:

I do not agree at all. From what I can see, the wires simply are an extension of the motor windings. It seems they just extended the winding wires out and covered them with color-coded plastic tubing. This is a good thing, because it eliminates another connection and possible failure point. If the windings will take the current, the leads, being just an extension of those windings, will as well. If you compare the new motors with the old, the windings are actually a thicker gauge wire. I am leaning towards the wire covering itself. Perhaps heat-shrink tubing over the leads as secondary protection against high current heating failure of the insulating tubing?

Bob,
i appreciate the comment but what you probably don' know is that the rotor and stator spinning at those speeds create the cooling efeect.
the inside casing of the motor actually has spiral cut so as it spins it is cooling the inside of the motor's stator so it doesn't overheat.
the wires outside have no cooling whatsoever.
so the theory about "if the wire inside can take the heat, the wire outside will too" is not quite true.

Whether you apply additional insulation or not, it still leaves you with a relatively thin solid copper wire in a vibrating environment. It is bound to eventually fail while in the air. I think the time frame and failure rates probably has a direct correlation to total flight hours with the new motors -- which widely varies from owner to owner.

CapnBob said:
hunch said:

Your assessment is not based on evidence. Do your understand heat sinking? The copper windings are located outside the fuselage in direct line of airflow. This is why we dont see the motor windings failing.

We see the leads failing because of 2 things combined.

Fatigue through vibrations, for the love of GOD its a hard wire with fixed mounting points in a flexible plastic chassis. Try hot gluing it down to 126 degree idling mosfets that reach 180F in normal flight.

Fatigue causes little cracks and increases resistance. Resistance causes heat. Heat causes more resistance. Heat melts the insulation. Wires get hot enough to melt the solder or ground out against something. Resistance becomes so high that impedance values are out of spec and esc mosfets blow.

MapMaker53 said:
Whether you apply additional insulation or not, it still leaves you with a relatively thin solid copper wire in a vibrating environment. It is bound to eventually fail while in the air. I think the time frame and failure rates probably has a direct correlation to total flight hours with the new motors -- which widely varies from owner to owner.

Bingo.... :lol: Hani and I just want to show the fix and make it available to everyone. These motors are awesome, but DJI overlooked this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl