If you had it to do over again...

Reaction score
Would you stick with the Phantom 2 V.2 with gimbal / Phantom 2 Vision Plus V.3, or go with the new Yuneec Q500 Typhoon...and why?

You aren't worried about ESC failures or flyaways? They say that flyaways are virtually impossible with the Q500 because of the GPR in the Q500 and the TX. I returned my Phantom 2 with gimbal due to ESCs and I'm trying to decide now if which one to get. Loved the Phantom when I had it, but I have to admit the ESC failures and the possibility of a flyaway was always in my mind. Thanks for the input.

Well, any new technology or electronics is prone to "beta" issues or failures. I'm not sure if Yuneec is a better company than DJI. I would wait before jumping to buy the Yuneec.

I would have skipped the Phantom 1.1.1 and gotten a combo deal with a zenmuse gimbal already installed. I've tweaked the heck out of this third party gimbal and it's still not close to stock zenmuse gimbal footage!!!!

Texphantom said:
Well, any new technology or electronics is prone to "beta" issues or failures. I'm not sure if Yuneec is a better company than DJI. I would wait before jumping to buy the Yuneec.

well if their customer service is even an ounce better than DJI then that is a tremendous improvement.

Word is from people who have talked to Yuneec's customer service say it's been an amazing experience.

I'd do everything exactly the same. Well, I'd wait for the H4-3D and go with a Hero 4 Black.

But essentially, I'd do everything the same.

BigPig said:
You aren't worried about ESC failures or flyaways? They say that flyaways are virtually impossible with the Q500 because of the GPR in the Q500 and the TX. I returned my Phantom 2 with gimbal due to ESCs and I'm trying to decide now if which one to get. Loved the Phantom when I had it, but I have to admit the ESC failures and the possibility of a flyaway was always in my mind. Thanks for the input.
All multirotor aircraft have some flyaway experience - none are immune. I can't say much about the ESC failures because in the three years that I've been building and flying two quads and a hex, I've never had an ESC failure.

Well, I already have a nice Trade Craft hard case, GoPro Hero 4 Black and Flytrex for the Phantom 2. Maybe I should just get another with the version 2.1 ESCs? Decisions....

Quite frankly, I had never heard of them until I saw your post. So found a very long (142 pages) of comments about it on RCGroups:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2272622

The reviews are mixed. Some complain the camera is not that good. Some say spare parts are not yet available. Many do not like the placement of the screen. But some do seem to like it. Might want to review all the comments before commiting $1300.

EDIT: Here is one review from that forum:
"I can finally pick up my Q500 from my hobby shop tomorrow after taking it in for repair on 12/29 for a bad ESC. It took awhile to get a new ESC. More good news, its was covered under warranty."

Nice find. I read about the Q500 for a couple of hours the other night. Must have missed this. I did see a video of a main board failure in mid-flight. Fell from the sky and crashed. Apparently, they may use the same main board as the Blade that has the same issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl