Icarus for Phantom 3S

I was unsure of exactly what the "Limit/Fixed" option of Icarus for P3S did so I asked the author of the app. He answered within the hour.

"Dear ....etc.
thank you for your interest in our software and for your appreciation.

The difference is that Fixed set TxPower to a constant value whereas Limit use some logic to check if the output power could be lowered in order to reduce battery load. The effectiveness of the "Limit" setting, however, has not been fully proved on the Phantom 3S hardware/software implementation. Thank you for your suggestion, we will try to explain it better in the app notes.

For what concerns the 5.8 GHz strength we are looking into that; we expect to have some results in the forthcoming months.

Best Regards, Icarus Software Online support staff "

As you can see from, "The effectiveness of the "Limit" setting, however, has not been fully proved on the Phantom 3S hardware/software implementation." the author is a no BS type guy.
I hope he does manage to provide software for the 5.8GHz signal to bring it up to the level you FCC guys enjoy for us CE types. The craft can obviously cope with that increase.

True .... but the improvement is to be able to keep Video link and telemetry instead of crapping out at 100m as many do without. The further you can go with 2.4 ... the more confident you are to allow 5.8 to go the distance.

Of course as stock ... you may get 500m or 50m ... it does seem to be lucky dip on this.

Fitting the Argtek kit and making sure all connections are made good ... you should realise about 1000m .....

With Argtek - after my various tests and trials ... I have noticed an item that may explain some peoples poor results with it. The antenna stubs that exit the plastic bar are short ... the nut that holds them in place is just that little too thick and when screwing on the antenna - you can have tight but not fully connected. Mines ok with supplied antenna but it would not need more than a fraction to change that.
The adaptors I now use for boosters to fit had to have their threaded 'nut' parts shortened to make sure I got fully home on the stubs.

Anyway Icarus and above has produced incredible range ... my latest being 4535m ...

Nigel
Many thanks for the reply, that is some set up you got there.

have somebody flying with both on 27? are there no damage? ik have set both on 27 and look with the wifi analyzer and thats a big result agains 20 dbm ....so Let me know if its not damage afther a few flyings.

Been flying mine with 27 on both for ages .............. no problem.

Nigel

I have asked various people about this but never had a good reply one way or other.

The power levels of the P3 are set by geographic location. GPS gives position, the FW then sets the CE or FCC power level. Icarus and Magic Power alter that cycle so that even though location should initiate CE - it does not.

My question was whether the 5.8 was similarly affected, because as I understand it - it too is set by FW by geographic location. If FW is no longer setting power levels - maybe 5.8 benefits as well by accident ?

This may explain the control range increase many of us see when we use these applications.

I tried to get an android RF analyzer for 5.8 but it didn't tell me anything. If anyone has access to RF meter for 5.8 can they check ?

Nigel

I have asked various people about this but never had a good reply one way or other.

The power levels of the P3 are set by geographic location. GPS gives position, the FW then sets the CE or FCC power level. Icarus and Magic Power alter that cycle so that even though location should initiate CE - it does not.

My question was whether the 5.8 was similarly affected, because as I understand it - it too is set by FW by geographic location. If FW is no longer setting power levels - maybe 5.8 benefits as well by accident ?

This may explain the control range increase many of us see when we use these applications.

I tried to get an android RF analyzer for 5.8 but it didn't tell me anything. If anyone has access to RF meter for 5.8 can they check ?

Nigel
I have the Icarus app over in the state's. Since I'm already at 27dbi, I use the app to set my RC to channel 11 or a clear channel. I use a simple wifi analyzer app to see the local wifi traffic. The Icarus app and Magic Power mod only boost the 2.4g video downlink. I do wonder what the 5.8g channel is? I have DBS mod on my RC. I get 14000 feet out over farm land.

Many thanks for the reply, that is some set up you got there.
Agree. I had to file down the edge of the connectors on my RF extension cables so they would tighten down securely so the cable wont twist once tightened. At these high frequencies cables and connectors are very critical.

Agree. I had to file down the edge of the connectors on my RF extension cables so they would tighten down securely so the cable wont twist once tightened. At these high frequencies cables and connectors are very critical.

I was posting about that some time ago when I found the Argtek screw stubs were a touch short ...

Nigel

Immersion RF Meter 1.JPG
Immersion RF Meter 2.JPG
Immersion RF Meter 1.JPG Immersion RF Meter 2.JPG

Nigel
Here is the power output in mW & dbm of my P3S at 5.8ghz. Im in Fl. So why the super low readings? The 2.4ghz is only 17dbm / 50mw. I cant see there being a problem with both the 2.4 & the 5.8 controller radios. Agree????

For anyone interested - I just tested Icarus with the latest 1.09.20 FW.

Fully operational with no problems at all. I reverted to factory ... redid 27db .... all fine.

Nigel

Reactions: rytenuff
Hayjack19, Can you please repost the P3S specs with the 2.4 not covered. I would like to print this and put it with my P3S info. Thanks Much.

To be honest ... most small meters I have handled only work with a specific signal type or format. Even though frequency can be correct - if the format is not what meter is designed for - the readings are wrong.

Good example is the 2.4Ghz on the P3S .... its pure domestic WiFi RC to Tablet but a strange form RC to / from AC.
Then take the Lightbridge - 2.4Ghz but doesn't register at all on handy meters - you need a decent Oscilloscope to see it.

Nigel

To be honest ... most small meters I have handled only work with a specific signal type or format. Even though frequency can be correct - if the format is not what meter is designed for - the readings are wrong.

Good example is the 2.4Ghz on the P3S .... its pure domestic WiFi RC to Tablet but a strange form RC to / from AC.
Then take the Lightbridge - 2.4Ghz but doesn't register at all on handy meters - you need a decent Oscilloscope to see it.

Nigel
Normally I would agree however this meter has an avg and peak selection. Wifi using peak because it's considered digital RF. The way I know the meter is very close to correct is I have tested my P2V+ and it's RF output specs are Excellent.
I'm going to eliminate the Argtek supplied jumpers next. Just ordered a new one. I'll need it to test the AC's RF output anyway. This meter would have been useful to me when I replaced the 2.4 module/radio in my P2V+.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl