Icarus for Phantom 3S

Hi there Nigel.
Thanks for the tips and tricks and I will use these for my test flight. Its a shame this weekend the weather will be terrible. I saw on the forecast that maybe on Monday and Tuesday it would be a bit better to do these test. No rain and low wind speeds. Perfect :). But again thanks for the tips and I will keep you posted. You enjoy flying this weekend and the location you are going to fly sounds pretty darn good :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nigel

With ARGTEK, Icarus 27dbi .............. I can hit 2500m on a good day with my P3S.
Standard ARGTEK antenna used.
Here's a screen recording of such distance ...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Firt she kicked out at over 1800m ... so I let RTH run until I had good control again ... turned her round and sent her back out again ... 2574m .....
Nigel

Hey Nigel, your horizon seem to be tilted a bit... I'm pretty sure you know, but there's a setting in DJI GO to correct it... it's in the gimbal menu...
Sorry for the off-topic reply.

Hey Nigel, your horizon seem to be tilted a bit... I'm pretty sure you know, but there's a setting in DJI GO to correct it... it's in the gimbal menu...
Sorry for the off-topic reply.

No worries ...

I have always thought there was a slight tilt ... but everytime I scroll through the movies ... I find tilt .. no tilt ... depending on which way / wind etc. In the end I left it ... just checked again and it tilts .. then OK ... then tilts ... then ok ...
I don't use go much .. but will have a look. I have calibrated gimbal everything on a level floor ...

Nigel

Sometimes my P3S video is also a little tilted in windy conditions.

Just checked on level floor ... etc. ... all level.

Must be an aberation of wind or something ...

I'm not Spielberg ... so I can live with it !!

Cheers
Nigel

So this weekend I decided to take the bird out for a spin in the early morning due to.. well to many things to do in my weekend :(

Only hit the 1800 meters mark. Going to search for a different location soon and try it again. Btw stupid question but do other people encounter the same strange issue as me? The issue is as following, when watching my video signal meter ( 5 bars ) during Litchi flight app, the bars are all grey instead of white and it doesnt matter if the bird is just in front of you or its at a longer range. After rebooting the app it showes sometimes the bars but after a couple of seconds, they are gone again. Edit: Latest version of Litchi. Previous version was okay.

Cheers :)

Yes I have same with Video "bars" ... to be honest - now I don't pay any attention to the video "bars" ... the only ones I watch now are the Command Signal "bars" next left.

Nigel

Reactions: Fluffy
Yes I have same with Video "bars" ... to be honest - now I don't pay any attention to the video "bars" ... the only ones I watch now are the Command Signal "bars" next left.

Nigel

Ahh Roger that. Yeah well just noticed this and tried to get it working again by restarting the app and tabled. Seems a bug in Litchi so, well lets ignore the video bars haha. Thanks Nigel for you're feedback again.

No.. Argtek or dbs is just antenna.

By amplifier I mean these sunhans:

Amazon.com: 2017 Sunhans eSunRc 3W 2.4GHz mini-Wifi Signal Booster: Computers & Accessories

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
I too am looking for an answer to my crap distance performance of my P3S and have just found this thread and read your post.
If the 2.4GHz frequency is for video and telemetry signal and 5.8GHz is the frequency between the RC and the AC relating to the distance you can achieve surely bolting on a 2.4GHz booster wouldn't really have any effect on the distance the AC could achieve before initiating RTH

After reading this thread I thought for £4.99 it was worth a go. Downloaded it and installed it. Very simple and requires no ability except for the ability to read English.
I have two Android devices and it allowed me to download from Play Store to both devices for the one payment of £4.99. I suspect if I had 10 Android devices it would have let me download to them all.
The weather here at the moment is extremely windy so I haven't had a chance to fly but I'm sure I won't be disappointed for the small outlay of less than a Fiver.
Link for those thinking of having a look: Icarus for Phantom 3S/4K – Android Apps on Google Play

I too am looking for an answer to my crap distance performance of my P3S and have just found this thread and read your post.
If the 2.4GHz frequency is for video and telemetry signal and 5.8GHz is the frequency between the RC and the AC relating to the distance you can achieve surely bolting on a 2.4GHz booster wouldn't really have any effect on the distance the AC could achieve before initiating RTH
It does, because most lose the 2.4 GHz (FPV video) signal before the other and stop at that point. So by increasing the wifi signal you can push out farther. Also my personal belief is the telemetry signal (not FPV) can only be out for so long before the fail-safe RTH starts.

It does, because most lose the 2.4 GHz (FPV video) signal before the other and stop at that point. So by increasing the wifi signal you can push out farther. Also my personal belief is the telemetry signal (not FPV) can only be out for so long before the fail-safe RTH starts.
My FPV signal is o.k it's my 5.8GHz that seems to drop off, I always seem to have decent FPV signal but can't get much past 100m or so before the bird initiates RTH ?? Any ideas ?

True .... but the improvement is to be able to keep Video link and telemetry instead of crapping out at 100m as many do without. The further you can go with 2.4 ... the more confident you are to allow 5.8 to go the distance.

Of course as stock ... you may get 500m or 50m ... it does seem to be lucky dip on this.

Fitting the Argtek kit and making sure all connections are made good ... you should realise about 1000m .....

With Argtek - after my various tests and trials ... I have noticed an item that may explain some peoples poor results with it. The antenna stubs that exit the plastic bar are short ... the nut that holds them in place is just that little too thick and when screwing on the antenna - you can have tight but not fully connected. Mines ok with supplied antenna but it would not need more than a fraction to change that.
The adaptors I now use for boosters to fit had to have their threaded 'nut' parts shortened to make sure I got fully home on the stubs.

Anyway Icarus and above has produced incredible range ... my latest being 4535m ...

Nigel

Reactions: harmudge and 805hd
I am urging people to think twice about turning things up to the full 27db.

The output transistor (it may be inside an ic) was running at 100mw (FCC).
But now you are putting 500mw through it.
If it doesn't have the proper heat sink you could fry it.
Why would the factory use any heat sink at all for 1/10 of a watt? You just don't need one.
But 1/2 watt is a different matter.

2nd:
The battery in a P3S is only 3.7 volts.
I haven't heard of radios putting out .5 watts on 3.7 volts.
I would expect to see at least 6 volts.
When you try to pull more power from an output stage than the voltage can sustain you get what's called clipping.
That is a distortion of the radio signal.
The signal may be un usable.

What he said!!!
Very true.

What he said!!!
Very true.
Wrong info, FCC power output on 2.4 GHz is 27 dBm look below. It's the 5.8 GHz that's at 19 dBm.
Specifications
● Aircraft
Weight (Including Battery) 1216 g
Max. Ascent Speed 5 m/s
Max. Descent Speed 3 m/s
Max. Speed 16 m/s (ATTI mode, no wind)
Max. Flight Altitude 6000 m
Max. Flight Time Approximately 25 minutes
Operating Temperature Range 0 °C to 40 °C
GPS Satellite navigation system
● Gimbal
Controllable Range Pitch: − 90° to +30°
Angular Vibration Range ±0.02°
● Camera
Sensor 1/2.3” Effective pixels:12 M
Lens FOV (Field Of View) 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8
ISO Range 100-3200 (video) 100-1600 (photo)
Electronic Shutter Speed 8 s – 1/8000 s
Image Max. Size 4000 x 3000
Still Photography Modes Single shot
Burst shooting: 3/5/7 frames
Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB): 3/5 bracketed frames at 0.7 EV Bias
Time-lapse
Video Recording Modes UHD: 2.7Kp30 (2704 x1520)
FHD: 1920x1080p 24/25/30
HD: 1280x720p 24/25/30/48/50/60
Max. Bitrate of Video Storage 40 Mbps
Supported File Formats FAT32/exFAT Photo: JPEG, DNG Video: MP4/MOV (MPEG–4 AVC/H.264)
Supported SD Card Types Micro SD, Max. capacity: 64GB. Class 6 or higher
● Wi-Fi Video Link
Operating Frequency 2.400 GHz – 2.483 GHz
Max. Transmission Distance FCC: 1000 m; CE: 500 m (outdoors and unobstructed, aircraft's altitude at 400 feet (120 m))
Transmitter Power (EIRP) FCC: 27 dBm; CE: 20 dBm
● Remote Controller
Operating Frequency 5.725 GHz – 5.825 GHz, 922.7 MHz – 927.7 MHz (Japan)
Max. Transmission Distance FCC: 1000 m; CE: 500 m (outdoors and unobstructed, aircraft's altitude at 400 feet (120 m))
Battery 2600 mAh LiPo 18650
Transmitter Power (EIRP) FCC: 19 dBm; CE: 14 dBm
Working Voltage 600 mA @ 3.7V
Charging Port Micro USB

Wrong info, FCC power output on 2.4 GHz is 27 dBm look below. It's the 5.8 GHz that's at 19 dBm.
Specifications
● Aircraft
Weight (Including Battery) 1216 g
Max. Ascent Speed 5 m/s
Max. Descent Speed 3 m/s
Max. Speed 16 m/s (ATTI mode, no wind)
Max. Flight Altitude 6000 m
Max. Flight Time Approximately 25 minutes
GPS Satellite navigation system
● Gimbal
Controllable Range Pitch: − 90° to +30°
Angular Vibration Range ±0.02°
● Camera
Sensor 1/2.3” Effective pixels:12 M
Lens FOV (Field Of View) 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8
ISO Range 100-3200 (video) 100-1600 (photo)
Electronic Shutter Speed 8 s – 1/8000 s
Image Max. Size 4000 x 3000
Still Photography Modes Single shot
Burst shooting: 3/5/7 frames
Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB): 3/5 bracketed frames at 0.7 EV Bias
Time-lapse
Video Recording Modes UHD: 2.7Kp30 (2704 x1520)
FHD: 1920x1080p 24/25/30
HD: 1280x720p 24/25/30/48/50/60
Max. Bitrate of Video Storage 40 Mbps
Supported File Formats FAT32/exFAT Photo: JPEG, DNG Video: MP4/MOV (MPEG–4 AVC/H.264)
Supported SD Card Types Micro SD, Max. capacity: 64GB. Class 6 or higher
● Wi-Fi Video Link
Operating Frequency 2.400 GHz – 2.483 GHz
Transmitter Power (EIRP) FCC: 27 dBm; CE: 20 dBm
● Remote Controller
Operating Frequency 5.725 GHz – 5.825 GHz, 922.7 MHz – 927.7 MHz (Japan)
Battery 2600 mAh LiPo 18650
Transmitter Power (EIRP) FCC: 19 dBm; CE: 14 dBm
Working Voltage 600 mA @ 3.7V
Charging Port Micro USB

Ahhh Okay, I did not check the specs, so that may be false.
BUTT would you agree that:

"When you try to pull more power from an output stage than the voltage can sustain you get what's called clipping.
That is a distortion of the radio signal.
The signal may be un usable. "

"But now you are putting 500mw through it.
If it doesn't have the proper heat sink you could fry it."

Or not ?

Have fun!

"ArmyVet" .............. thousands of users are having great results with pulling 27db ...

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31