I Lost my P4P

Once you convert and import the recreated litchi file its just about the settings in GE I'd like to make it sound more complicated but that's it

Right - but how did you get the full 3-D view of the terrain? The GE database that I can see is only 2-D or street view.

Just about asleep (different hemisphere )I will post the steps in the morning
As far as narrowing the search area ...well you could describe the ocean between Europe and America getting narrower due to tectonic plate movement ...

Reactions: sar104
Just about asleep (different hemisphere )I will post the steps in the morning
As far as narrowing the search area ...well you could describe the ocean between Europe and America getting narrower due to tectonic plate movement ...

OK - I found the problem. The Google Earth Pro version that I was using apparently did not have access to the full 3-D database.

That certainly illustrates the problem with the trees as it descents towards WP3.

line_2_3.jpg

Reactions: WBN3 and Peio64270
OK - I found the problem. The Google Earth Pro version that I was using apparently did not have access to the full 3-D database.

That certainly illustrates the problem with the trees as it descents towards WP3.

View attachment 83125

Yes, very well ! :eek:

But this also shows that the drone is probably not far from the drive.

(How do you obtain this view ?)

Yes, very well ! :eek:

But this also shows that the drone is probably not far from the drive.

(How do you obtain this view ?)

I had previously created the kml file describing the path of the programmed flight between WP2 and WP3 with path extrude set to "on", and then I just imported it into a version of Google Earth that supports the latest 3-D imagery. I used Google Earth for Chrome, but the more recent (non-pro) desktop version also seems to work.

The problem with this is that the elevation of the surface objects can be exaggerated depending on what setting you choose (see pic)
and when was the 3D survey done (a few more years growth on the trees ?:))
Although It does sort of show the taller tree slightly to the left of centre of the smaller hill which I could see clearly in the OPs phone video of that area. I think this tree could have been right in the ACs path since the original post( shows the AC passing off centre as well .The OP says this as well)
It also depend greatly on the placement of wp2. If the last mission wasn't saved and the first one didn't have wp2 (you said you added that while hovering .How do you know where wp2 was ? Or am I mistaken in my understanding .

Attachments

• 3D ta.png
    3D ta.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 397
  • Suspect 1.png
    Suspect 1.png
    371 KB · Views: 380
  • Suspect T1.png
    Suspect T1.png
    691.8 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: Peio64270
The problem with this is that the elevation of the surface objects can be exaggerated depending on what setting you choose (see pic)
and when was the 3D survey done (a few more years growth on the trees ?:))
Although It does sort of show the taller tree slightly to the left of centre of the smaller hill which I could see clearly in the OPs phone video of that area. I think this tree could have been right in the ACs path since the original post( shows the AC passing off centre as well .The OP says this as well)
It also depend greatly on the placement of wp2. If the last mission wasn't saved and the first one didn't have wp2 (you said you added that while hovering .How do you know where wp2 was ? Or am I mistaken in my understanding .

The latest (GE for Chrome) version doesn't have an option to exaggerate the heights, so I would expect the elevations to be at least reasonably correct. The path is dependent on WP2 being approximately correct but, as long as it is in the correct general area and at the correct height, it won't change the picture very much. I would not rely on this to try to identify exactly which tree it may have encountered, but it does show pretty well where the path of the aircraft starts to drop below the height of the surrounding trees.

It does indeed and I need to get in that little island [emoji267]...I called the steel company and they said that they didn't mind at all so I will try and rule that out..I also will search the area where the the path shows it making its way into the hood. You can clearly see the red line intersect a tall tree so that's a possible target as well.

You guys are right about the trees being an issue..I live in Berkeley Lake Ga and it's a virtual Jungle..Beautiful but densely wooded..Here are a couple shots from the Mavic off the back porch tonight looking towards the doomed flight path..(and one of me saying hello and thanks!)

PS--I take that back..I have a better shot of the flight path on the sd card.. The ones I showed here are a little left of the flight path..Upload them tomorrow..That bugs me because you can kinda see the trees that might be the culprit..Owell..Tomorrow..

PSS- I am flying the Mavic with the iPad due to my controller off being moded right now so I was a little scared to send it up too high. It didn't seem to mind but I did...[emoji15]

1dcb6d156ddc825b5a23456bd757f2dc.jpg

f051c280ba5f3ba8520f202afd15b0fb.jpg

f3f5dfe5b52508f62ccd989dd84ed1e6.jpg

Last edited:
It does indeed and I need to get in that little island [emoji267]...I called the steel company and they said that they didn't mind at all so I will try and rule that out..I also will search the area where the the path shows it making its way into the hood. You can clearly see the red line intersect a tall tree so that's a possible target as well.

You guys are right about the trees being an issue..I live in Berkeley Lake Ga and it's a virtual Jungle..Beautiful but densely wooded..Here are a couple shots from the Mavic off the back porch tonight looking towards the doomed flight path..(and one of me saying hello and thanks!)

(...)

Yes...
I see two things that can be done as a last attempt to retreive your Phantom.

You said that you did the exact same flight two hours before the fatal one. Did you record a live video of this flight in your device ? If so, it could be interesting to look at in order to locate the highest trees along the path (specially just after waypoint 2).

Second, if you own or you can borrow a small GPS designed for trecking, you maybe could trace a path reproducing WP 2 to WP 3 part of the mission and walk along this way looking attentively to the top and the base of the highest trees ? If there is free access, this is what I would do personnally.

Last edited:
Reactions: rene van der meer
Yes...

You said that you did the exact same flight two hours before the fatal one. Did you record a live video of this flight in your device ? If so, it could be interesting to look at in order to locate the highest trees along the path (specially just after waypoint 2).

Second, if you own or you can borrow a small GPS designed for trecking, you maybe could trace a path reproducing WP 2 to WP 3 part of the mission and walk along this way looking attentively to the top and the base of the highest trees ? If there is free access, this is what I woul do personnally.
Good idea. You can also use a phone with a tracking app.

Yes...

Second, if you own or you can borrow a small GPS designed for trecking, you maybe could trace a path reproducing WP 2 to WP 3 part of the mission and walk along this way looking attentively to the top and the base of the highest trees ? If there is free access, this is what I woul do personnally.

Thanks for all the help as always...I can use my IPhone 7 with the trails app for trekking. Good idea..The flight that I did before was "EXACTLY" to the same location, but not the same altitude so that won't help..

Here is a shot that I just took this morning from the backyard toward waypoint 2. Mabel it will be helpful. I don't think anything will replace just hitting the ground looking for it and we have a couple spots thanks to this forum.

44427e4888bcacdd8e5347b4b3f48389.jpg

Reactions: rene van der meer
I hope you find your drone. It's tough to lose one. Expensive.

Originally, DJI required you to actually fly way points to set them up. Most apps allow this option. If you enter the way points while at your desk, the problem is it requires very careful "desk checking". It would be nice if the software vendors showed a vertical (or elevation) view of the flight to make this checking easier. It only takes one point with an errant altitude to crash your drone.

All that being said, no matter what software you are using, the VLOS rule still applies. That's the one thing you can't automate. Sounds like one reason for losing the drone is it was out of your VLOS.

Lesson learned the hard way.

Reactions: DKG13CC
I feel your pain. Lost mine 2 weeks ago, replacement came yesterday. Will be a lot of things I do different with this one. Good luck finding it.

Was too busy today to check the route although I did program it in my hiking app..Still waiting to hear back from DJI if they will replace it under Refresh...

I would be interested to hear as I thought when you were not using the DJI App the warranty was voided? Please let us know.

Was too busy today to check the route although I did program it in my hiking app..Still waiting to hear back from DJI if they will replace it under Refresh...

I'm afraid that "refresh" will ask for the broken one before exchange.

Sorry about the poor quality I just couldn't get VLC to do a better job of the screen recording.
If you can set this path up yourself on a PC and it would be clearer
You can see what I was refering to with regards to the position of wp2 .It doesn't make a huge difference but might narrow it down a bit if you can place it precisely .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94