I lost it.. :((

Yup not my keys but my P4P, I went out early this morning to get first light on the NYC skyline over the Hudson River and I think I know what I did wrong also if its wrong cause I still had 14 satalites and full bars at 10,000 + feet out but there's a slight turn in the river where I'm not exactly in a straight line with the copter and I received a "aircraft disconnect" warning and that was the end of it ,I went up to the area where I knew it was last just in case it landed on one of the docks but that like finding a needle in a haystack ,if anything its in the Hudson :(( Do they sink ? I was under the impression that if there's a signal loss it RTH but that didnt happen .. How common is this ?? Do credit card extended warranties cover this type of accident?
After a few days of mourning I'll get another one

If you were using DJI GO app, DJI Support will be able to determine if the failure to RTH was a failure on the drone's part. If so, they would replace it. I'd suggest calling them and having them investigate.

Yup not my keys but my P4P, I went out early this morning to get first light on the NYC skyline over the Hudson River and I think I know what I did wrong also if its wrong cause I still had 14 satalites and full bars at 10,000 + feet out but there's a slight turn in the river where I'm not exactly in a straight line with the copter and I received a "aircraft disconnect" warning and that was the end of it ,I went up to the area where I knew it was last just in case it landed on one of the docks but that like finding a needle in a haystack ,if anything its in the Hudson :(( Do they sink ? I was under the impression that if there's a signal loss it RTH but that didnt happen .. How common is this ?? Do credit card extended warranties cover this type of accident?

Did I read your first post correct when you said you were 10000 + out?

Page 15 (under "Failsafe RTH") says "...The aircraft will plan its return route and retrace its original flight route home. ". It says the Forward Vision System must be turned on for it to "create a real time map of its flight route" (and therefore retrace its route home). Hope that helps.
Both the Disclaimer book and Quick start guide page 15 are in a language other then English, and on page 8 of the disclaimer book the "failsafe and return to home" section that quote is nowhere to be seen

Very sorry to hear of your loss - an expensive loss, but, pushing your range to test the controllers limits is always going to be frought with risk. I talk in metric so not sure exactly how far 10,000 ft is (sounds like more than 3 kilometres though). Isn't the law there to keep your drone within line of sight? Please don't think I am having a go, but, it is these uses that are driving governments to try imposing severe restrictions on users (the international Big Brother mentality). Following FAA guidelines will serve you best, especially in city/ near urban environments.
Yes I was definitely out of the "line of sight" (Guilty as charged") but I thought being over the river I wouldn't get into any trouble simply because there wasn't much to run into but little did I know that Murphys Law was gonna show up and change all ..

Very sorry to hear of your loss - an expensive loss, but, pushing your range to test the controllers limits is always going to be frought with risk. I talk in metric so not sure exactly how far 10,000 ft is (sounds like more than 3 kilometres though). Isn't the law there to keep your drone within line of sight? Please don't think I am having a go, but, it is these uses that are driving governments to try imposing severe restrictions on users (the international Big Brother mentality). Following FAA guidelines will serve you best, especially in city/ near urban environments.
They are going to impose restrictions no matter how many do or don't break existing laws or restrictions. That's what government does.

Page 15 (under "Failsafe RTH") says "...The aircraft will plan its return route and retrace its original flight route home. ". It says the Forward Vision System must be turned on for it to "create a real time map of its flight route" (and therefore retrace its route home). Hope that helps.
The part they leave out is that it only does this for 60 seconds max before doing a traditional RTH.

Reactions: Pharm

I don't want to seem insensitive, but what are you doing flying 1.8 miles away from home station? There's no way you could have been maintaining visual line of sight. This type of loss is self inflicted in my opinion. There are so few rules to follow for recreational flying.

They are going to impose restrictions no matter how many do or don't break existing laws or restrictions. That's what government does.
So far the restrictions are very reasonable, and when someone finally flies a drone into the engine of a manned craft, you ain't seen nothing yet. The restrictions are very similar to manned aircraft rules, and with people who can't even follow basic rules like keeping the craft in visual line of sight, what do you expect the government to do? Finally, it is hardly worthy to criticize the FAA rules; it is absolutely mind boggling that flying today is the safest form of transportation. Rules work if people follow them.

Reactions: SharpeSnitch
I don't want to seem insensitive, but what are you doing flying 1.8 miles away from home station? There's no way you could have been maintaining visual line of sight. This type of loss is self inflicted in my opinion. There are so few rules to follow for recreational flying.
So why does DJI bother to make and market a product that can work at 4 miles if your going to only use it within 500-1000 ft ?

Reactions: Neon Euc
So far the restrictions are very reasonable, and when someone finally flies a drone into the engine of a manned craft, you ain't seen nothing yet. The restrictions are very similar to manned aircraft rules, and with people who can't even follow basic rules like keeping the craft in visual line of sight, what do you expect the government to do? Finally, it is hardly worthy to criticize the FAA rules; it is absolutely mind boggling that flying today is the safest form of transportation. Rules work if people follow them.
Err ,around here manned aircraft dont fly 140 ft off the Hudson River, maybe in the East River they do.:)
Well besides that Capt. Sully dude..:):)

So why does DJI bother to make and market a product that can work at 4 miles if your going to only use it within 500-1000 ft ?
It's a matter of bragging rights. The same way a speedometer in an automobile may go to 160mph. You don't go above the speed limit even though you can. If we all don't follow the rules, we are screwed.

Err ,around here manned aircraft dont fly 140 ft off the Hudson River, maybe in the East River they do.:)
Well besides that Capt. Sully dude..:):)

Use your imagination. Suppose the drone went nuts and started a vertical assent and went up to a couple thousand feet which they are more than capable. Also helicopters are often at low altitude, if only for the benefit of sightseers. The rules have been designed over 100 years of flight, and the FAA has seen every sort of Cowboy numbnut, trying to out think common sense.

Reactions: SharpeSnitch
Use your imagination. Suppose the drone went nuts and started a vertical assent and went up to a couple thousand feet which they are more than capable. Also helicopters are often at low altitude, if only for the benefit of sightseers. The rules have been designed over 100 years of flight, and the FAA has seen every sort of Cowboy numbnut, trying to out think common sense.
We can "what if " this and any other thing to death and get nowhere , I thought thats why drones stay under 400 ft and manned aircraft stay above 500, No ?

It's a matter of bragging rights. The same way a speedometer in an automobile may go to 160mph. You don't go above the speed limit even though you can. If we all don't follow the rules, we are screwed.
So, you've never exceeded the speed limit? I bet you are one of those sitting in the fast lane a t 55. :)

Reactions: F3honda4me

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z