I lost it.. :((

Just to clarify, it's 400' AGL. And if you have a 800' building within 400', you can legally fly 1200' AGL above and around the building, as long as you're within 400' of that building. If you're climbing a mountain lets say...... the RC will allow you to go up to 1640' above takeoff point, but you are obligated to stay within 400' of land in any direction. This is where VLOS is important, since the craft cannot determine AGL, they can only determine AAHP (altitude above home point), today. Having a really strong strobe light helps to keep an eye on it.

I really look forward to the day drones have down facing laser range finders incorporated.

This 400' above a structure is only if you have Part 107 remote pilot certificate. It does not apply to hobbyists. Hobbyists do not have a legally enforced altitude limit, except in relation to regulated airspace. The 400' altitude limit is a "suggestion" by the AMA, the "community based organization" who's rules most hobbyists try to follow.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
I'm quite interested to learn what went wrong. Bird strike resulted in flight 1549 ditching in the Hudson. :p
I regularly push the limits on my P4.
I inadvertantly tested the auto RTH on it when I failed to check my smart phone battery prior to a flight.
2.5km out my phone shut down.
I sat down and lit a smoke.
6min later it landed 2" from the home point.
I also fly over water. I wonder if I could attach aerodynamic floats.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I just seen a video either here or on YT where the guy had floats on it but when he went to take off it looked like one kinda didn't release from the water at the same time as the other three and it ended rather badly .
Comments were that he didn't take off with enough throttle

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Philipt65
I just seen a video either here or on YT where the guy had floats on it but when he went to take off it looked like one kinda didn't release from the water at the same time as the other three and it ended rather badly .
Comments were that he didn't take off with enough throttle

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

There was confusion of if the owner tilted the sticks forward rather than for lift off. That created drag in the water and flipped.

U.K. Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon Euc
So sorry for your loss. This is always my biggest fear when flying. Good luck on finding it or getting a new one.

I scrolled through four pages of comments, but still couldn't find this. What did you have your RTH height set at???

Wow, this thread is amazing! A prime example of a great forum community. I admire your passion and can appreciate your wisdom in the field.
I can tell already that as a newcomer to UAV I have a lot to learn about the aircraft and system operations in general. About to make my first UAV purchase and stumbled on this site,,, I'm convinced this is a go to forum for sure.
Glad you guys were able to help recover his bird. Definitely a feel good story and looking forward to hearing what DJI has to say about the cause. Please keep us posted Lickitysplit11111.

Although I'm a certified private pilot with the FAA this is an interesting hobby for someone who loves the view from the air.

edit: correcting myself, if you are in sport it DOES re-enable OA.

But be warned! RTH does not automatically use OA. There is a setting you have to enable in order to allow RTH to use OA that is disabled by default. I have a feeling a lot of people out there are incorrectly flying under the assumption that RTH automatically uses OA when in fact you have to turn on this setting in order for that to be true.

Can you S how us the settings you use?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Can you S how us the settings you use?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
The one that I know for sure is off by default is the one in the image here. It's in the settings menu, craft menu, advanced settings.

For me personally I went through every single menu and turned on everything I could find when it came to vision positioning and OA and all that fancy stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 249
Reactions: fiberdude
Well it looks like they repaired it for a $225 dent in my DJI Care which is OK with me and its on its way back to me , will they supply a list of what the Logistics team found regarding my setting or do I just get the repair back with a list of repaired parts , does it have the same serial # ?
Sorry but im new to all this so I'm curious as to how things work..

Reactions: Zzz
You were 1000% correct Sir,it hit the building ,on the way down there I called campus police and informed them of my boondoggle and they didn't hear of anything happening that morning with a drone but the officer said he'd someone out an take a look before I arrived to look for myself and by the time I got there my baby was sitting on the counter just begging to come home..:D There's still alot of unanswered questions I have but I'm happy the mystery was solved and no one was injuried, I asked the officer if he'd like my contact info just in case damage was discovered but he declined .
Amazing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl