I lost it.. :((

We can "what if " this and any other thing to death and get nowhere , I thought thats why drones stay under 400 ft and manned aircraft stay above 500, No ?
Drones stay under 400 feet if the Remote Pilot is following the rules.. and it sounds like a bunch of people don't give a crap. Drones are machines and inclined to so whatever they want to at times, which is somewhat the point of this thread. I wonder how many people have the list of the phone numbers they called to notify airports and heliports nearby, that there is now an emergency situation of a drone who's whereabouts is unknown? According to the FAA Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums (500 feet) if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator. Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft. The reason: they have unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is their ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power-out emergencies. Furthermore, the helicopter's increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires added flexibility.

Yup not my keys but my P4P, I went out early this morning to get first light on the NYC skyline over the Hudson River and I think I know what I did wrong also if its wrong cause I still had 14 satalites and full bars at 10,000 + feet out but there's a slight turn in the river where I'm not exactly in a straight line with the copter and I received a "aircraft disconnect" warning and that was the end of it ,I went up to the area where I knew it was last just in case it landed on one of the docks but that like finding a needle in a haystack ,if anything its in the Hudson :(( Do they sink ? I was under the impression that if there's a signal loss it RTH but that didnt happen .. How common is this ?? Do credit card extended warranties cover this type of accident?
After a few days of mourning I'll get another one

I lost my P4 in the mountains above my home after I had a weak signal message and initiated the RTH function. The P4 returned, flew right over my HP and kept on going. Canceled the RTH but the P4 would not respond. Contacted DJI and they asked for the flight record. Two weeks later I got a response from DJI stating the location of a crash, and that the crash was caused by pilot error-pulling back on the throttle till the drone crashed. What bewildered me was that I knew I had not pulled back on the throttle AND the designated location of the crash site DJI noted was below where I observed the P4 flying past and disappearing. Two weeks later, I am up on my roof and looked down in the meadow 150 yards below the HP. THERE IT WAS, LYING ON THE GROUND, WHERE IT HAD NOW BEEN FOR A MONTH! Incredibly, only one prop broken. Put a new prop on it, installed a charged battery, and off it flew! Kudos to DJI for there locating the correct crash site even though their analysis of the cause was dead wrong and they had no explanation for the failure of the RTH function, at least initially!

Reactions: Digital.Gods
Drones stay under 400 feet if the Remote Pilot is following the rules.
Just to clarify, it's 400' AGL. And if you have a 800' building within 400', you can legally fly 1200' AGL above and around the building, as long as you're within 400' of that building. If you're climbing a mountain lets say...... the RC will allow you to go up to 1640' above takeoff point, but you are obligated to stay within 400' of land in any direction. This is where VLOS is important, since the craft cannot determine AGL, they can only determine AAHP (altitude above home point), today. Having a really strong strobe light helps to keep an eye on it.

I really look forward to the day drones have down facing laser range finders incorporated.

So far the restrictions are very reasonable, and when someone finally flies a drone into the engine of a manned craft, you ain't seen nothing yet. The restrictions are very similar to manned aircraft rules, and with people who can't even follow basic rules like keeping the craft in visual line of sight, what do you expect the government to do? Finally, it is hardly worthy to criticize the FAA rules; it is absolutely mind boggling that flying today is the safest form of transportation. Rules work if people follow them.
Flying is not safer because of the FAA but that conversation is too far off topic. But as to someone flying a drone into an aircraft, that kind of person will take those risks and do them regardless of rules or laws. It's already illegal to do something that could cause a drone to fly into an aircraft, so more rules or laws won't change those that would end up in an already illegal act.

Use your imagination. Suppose the drone went nuts and started a vertical assent and went up to a couple thousand feet which they are more than capable. Also helicopters are often at low altitude, if only for the benefit of sightseers. The rules have been designed over 100 years of flight, and the FAA has seen every sort of Cowboy numbnut, trying to out think common sense.
So if he stayed in vlos he could have somehow stop this uncommanded vertical ascent?

I lost my P4 in the mountains above my home after I had a weak signal message and initiated the RTH function. ....... DJI stating the location of a crash, and that the crash was caused by pilot error-pulling back on the throttle till the drone crashed. What bewildered me was that I knew I had not pulled back on the throttle ..!

Interesting that DJI would say that. According to the manual, there are 2 ways to stop the motors after the Phantom has landed, a) pulling down and hold the throttle for 3 seconds or b) use the CSC ...combination stick command.

Stopping the motors midflight requires a different set of commands (including the RTH button + left stick to inside bottom corner).

So, is it possible pulling down throttle for 3 seconds mid flight ALSO kills the motors?

a0d4be0c4009d86fa08e9ab14fab8d94.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't want to seem insensitive, but what are you doing flying 1.8 miles away from home station? There's no way you could have been maintaining visual line of sight. This type of loss is self inflicted in my opinion. There are so few rules to follow for recreational flying.
Not trying to justify it but lots of Phantom flyers do this regularly. ..fly 2+ miles out (over water), range testing, etc; see Youtube.
It is a calculated risk and I guess they are prepared to bear the consequences.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'd say at least 80% of phantom owners fly their AC outside LOS, maybe even more. I know I do. If your one of those who don't , that's cool, but just as that is your decision, it's ours to fly outside LOS if we desire. The thing is we don't call you out or ridicule you for being too scared to do it.

Yup not my keys but my P4P, I went out early this morning to get first light on the NYC skyline over the Hudson River and I think I know what I did wrong also if its wrong cause I still had 14 satalites and full bars at 10,000 + feet out but there's a slight turn in the river where I'm not exactly
Yup not my keys but my P4P, I went out early this morning to get first light on the NYC skyline over the Hudson River and I think I know what I did wrong also if its wrong cause I still had 14 satalites and full bars at 10,000 + feet out but there's a slight turn in the river where I'm not exactly in a straight line with the copter and I received a "aircraft disconnect" warning and that was the end of it ,I went up to the area where I knew it was last just in case it landed on one of the docks but that like finding a needle in a haystack ,if anything its in the Hudson :(( Do they sink ? I was under the impression that if there's a signal loss it RTH but that didnt happen .. How common is this ?? Do credit card extended warranties cover this type of accident?
Isn't Manhattan no fly zone?
a straight line with the copter and I received a "aircraft disconnect" warning and that was the end of it ,I went up to the area where I knew it was last just in case it landed on one of the docks but that like finding a needle in a haystack ,if anything its in the Hudson :(( Do they sink ? I was under the impression that if there's a signal loss it RTH but that didnt happen .. How common is this ?? Do credit card extended warranties cover this type of accident?

I lost my P4 in the mountains above my home after I had a weak signal message and initiated the RTH function. The P4 returned, flew right over my HP and kept on going. Canceled the RTH but the P4 would not respond. Contacted DJI and they asked for the flight record. Two weeks later I got a response from DJI stating the location of a crash, and that the crash was caused by pilot error-pulling back on the throttle till the drone crashed. What bewildered me was that I knew I had not pulled back on the throttle AND the designated location of the crash site DJI noted was below where I observed the P4 flying past and disappearing. Two weeks later, I am up on my roof and looked down in the meadow 150 yards below the HP. THERE IT WAS, LYING ON THE GROUND, WHERE IT HAD NOW BEEN FOR A MONTH! Incredibly, only one prop broken. Put a new prop on it, installed a charged battery, and off it flew! Kudos to DJI for there locating the correct crash site even though their analysis of the cause was dead wrong and they had no explanation for the failure of the RTH function, at least initially!
Cool story , I love happy endings..:D

So if he stayed in vlos he could have somehow stop this uncommanded vertical ascent?

He would have a visual of the incident and an approximation of where the incident took place, and quite possibly a report on what the UAS was doing at last visual. Calls to nearby airports could then be placed to notify them of a potential emergency, and in turn, airports could then notify aircraft of a potential hazard in the area.

He would have a visual of the incident and an approximation of where the incident took place, and quite possibly a report on what the UAS was doing at last visual. Calls to nearby airports could then be placed to notify them of a potential emergency, and in turn, airports could then notify aircraft of a potential hazard in the area.
You can have all of that without vlos too.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor