I lost it.. :((

My 2 cents: Sorry if any of it has already been written.
I believe that the reason for having two separate activations for OA, primary menu location and the other being in the advanced settings menu, is because they operate independently of each other. This gives the pilot the option to fly the AC with or without the use of OA, while still having OA active for the Failsafe RTH. That said, I think many would agree that it could be all under one menu, but because it is about the Failsafe RTH, I guess it makes sense.

Regarding testing if the AC will come straight home or back up, it will only happen upon signal loss, thus the only way to test this is to block the signal or turnoff the RC.

Here is what the manual says about Failsafe RTH. It is not perfectly written, but I think it does an okay job of explaining how it works.

"Failsafe RTH
The Forward Vision System allows the aircraft to create a real-time map of its ight route as it ies. If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH will be automatically activated if the remote controller signal is lost for more than three seconds. The aircraft will plan its return route and retrace its original ight route home. The aircraft will hover for 10 seconds at its current location. When it regains signal connection it will wait for pilot commands. The Return-to- Home process may be interrupted and the pilot given control of the aircraft if the remote controller signal connection is re-established."

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Here is what the manual says about Failsafe RTH. It is not perfectly written, but I think it does an okay job of explaining how it works.
It's written imperfectly enough that I can't understand what it means. I'm glad you do, and most others seem to agree with your interpretation. But I'm going to act like I'm from Missouri and test different Return To Home situations to see what happens. I hope to provide good video which makes clear what is happening. If it turns out that everyone is right who is saying that the aircraft stops retracing its path, that will be good to know, because that is not to me what the manual says.

Regarding the lack of clarity:

Example 1: "When it regains signal connection it will wait for pilot commands". The word "waiting" to me implies that it hovers in place. I have not observed that to be true. The aircraft continues to return home.

Example 2: "The Return-to-Home process may be interrupted..."

Another interesting test would be to see what happens if the aircraft is returning home in Failsafe mode, retracing its path, and an obstacle is now in place that wasn't there on the outbound trip. Will obstacle avoidance alter the return path to avoid the new obstacle?

Last edited:
Regarding the lack of clarity:

Example 1: "When it regains signal connection it will wait for pilot commands". The word "waiting" to me implies that it hovers in place. I have not observed that to be true. The aircraft continues to return home.

Example 2: "The Return-to-Home process may be interrupted..."

Another interesting test would be to see what happens if the aircraft is returning home in Failsafe mode, retracing its path, and an obstacle is now in place that wasn't there on the outbound trip. Will obstacle avoidance alter the return path to avoid the new obstacle?

I do believe it will hover when the signal has been restored, however I have never had a Failsafe occur, so for me it is just expected but not proven. I also believe that the OA is expected to compensate for any object that should be in the "backtrack" path.

I look forward to seeing your test results. I was thinking about trying to use some foil to block the RC signal vs turning off the remote. It would be closer to a real event test. Now all I need a someone to drive a big truck into the return path of the craft.

Keep us posted.

I do believe it will hover when the signal has been restored, however I have never had a Failsafe occur
I can assure you that Failsafe Return To Home continues, regardless of whether the signal is restored or not. I'll post a video to YouTube that demonstrates this, and I'll put the link here when I'm done.

I can assure you that Failsafe Return To Home continues, regardless of whether the signal is restored or not. I'll post a video to YouTube that demonstrates this, and I'll put the link here when I'm done.

Wouldn't be the first time I or the DJI manual was wrong, lol. Best to know the truth and I look forward to seeing the results of your test.

I look forward to seeing the results of your test.
Here's 33 seconds of screen video from a flight I made on Dec 9. You can see that RTH continues even after the signal comes back. The signal comes and goes twice during this segment, but RTH doesn't care, it just keeps plugging along, signal or no signal.

Last edited:
It could take a few seconds more for it to kick in.
OK, I'll post a longer segment of the video. I assure you, Return To Home continues unless manually cancelled by the operator. It's not something I've done once, it's something I've done dozens and dozens of times... only a few times with the P4P, but many times with the P2V, the P2V+, the P3S and the P3P, all of which I've flown a lot.

OK, I'll post a longer segment of the video. I assure you, Return To Home continues unless manually cancelled by the operator. It's not something I've done once, it's something I've done dozens and dozens of times... only a few times with the P4P, but Return To Home operates the same way it does on the P2V, the P2V+, the P3S and the P3P, all of which I've flown a lot.

good to know. I didn't even know that this was in the manual all this time. I've always cancelled the RTH manually when I regain connection.

How did you trigger the Failsafe RTH, turn off RC, blocked the signal, or other. Not thinking it changes the outcome, just curious.

RTH was triggered by loss of signal, not through any deliberate act on my part other than getting far enough away that the bird and the remote could no longer talk to each other. My takeoff location is surrounded by trees, and I'm very accustomed to that happening.

Congrats on recovering your bird - that's amazing! I did want to ask ... have you had any issues flying up/down the Hudson River? I live nearby and have flown in a few county parks before and haven't had an issue, but I didn't want to head out over the river. Is that a restricted area at all? I don't see anything in Hover or AirMap but don't trust either to give me the full scoop. Thanks - and good luck with DJI! Curious how they handle it - warranty or DJI refresh.

Congrats on recovering your bird - that's amazing! I did want to ask ... have you had any issues flying up/down the Hudson River? I live nearby and have flown in a few county parks before and haven't had an issue, but I didn't want to head out over the river. Is that a restricted area at all? I don't see anything in Hover or AirMap but don't trust either to give me the full scoop. Thanks - and good luck with DJI! Curious how they handle it - warranty or DJI refresh.
Thanks , well its only been my third flight up the river and I do consider hitting that building an issue :oops: but I learned a lot from it so hopefully that "type" of accident wont ever repeat itself with me .
I think it helps to know the area but there are two heliports (one I flew right over in vid. #1 @ Newport) which is pretty quite and there another one located at Exchange Place which is more active (i wont fly there) and you will receive a pop-up to be careful because of them .
If I hear anything from DJI regarding the cause I'll update this thread with it..
Oh and I was chased out of one park ( Laurel Hill) by a Hudson County Sheriff who said flying drones are illegal here especially the ones "with cameras " attached to them I didnt even question him I just packed up and left but if you look online for places OK to fly at Lincoln Park in Jersey City is listed

Last edited:
Fly responsibly people. A drone falling from that height could have killed someone. Even if the drone wasn't registered (I doubt it was because they would have agreed to keep it within line of sight), law enforcement could have checked the forums and quickly found who recently lost a drone in the area and bam, you go to jail and have to live with that guilt the rest of your life. This is the kind of behavior that instills MORE rules and regulations. Please fly responsibly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

First up, you need to learn what went wrong so that you can make sure that won't happen again.
The Phantoms are by now quite sophisticated and refined and it's uncommon for one to just disappear.
And yes, they sink - like a stone.

Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and perhaps pinpoint where it went down.
Sorry to hear about your loss. You can't be "under the impression " of how the Phantom works. You need to KNOW how it works. Just guessing, you lost contact, RTH ensued and ran into something because your RTH was set lower than the intervening structure(s), primarily whichever one caused you to disconnect in the first place. It also, as has been noted, could be that your settings on disconnect instructed your Phantom to hover. What action did you have set for signal loss/disconnect?
I think it's more like "You can't be "under the impression " of how the Phantom works. You need to KNOW how IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK." ..... and don't.

Reactions: Pharm
I think it's more like "You can't be "under the impression " of how the Phantom works. You need to KNOW how IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK." ..... and don't.
Well since you seem to SOUND LIKE you know everything can you please point out what page in the manual the new "Trace your Path " RTH option is on....

Yup not my keys but my P4P, I went out early this morning to get first light on the NYC skyline over the Hudson River and I think I know what I did wrong also if its wrong cause I still had 14 satalites and full bars at 10,000 + feet out but there's a slight turn in the river where I'm not exactly in a straight line with the copter and I received a "aircraft disconnect" warning and that was the end of it ,I went up to the area where I knew it was last just in case it landed on one of the docks but that like finding a needle in a haystack ,if anything its in the Hudson :(( Do they sink ? I was under the impression that if there's a signal loss it RTH but that didnt happen .. How common is this ?? Do credit card extended warranties cover this type of accident?
After a few days of mourning I'll get another one
Very sorry to hear of your loss - an expensive loss, but, pushing your range to test the controllers limits is always going to be frought with risk. I talk in metric so not sure exactly how far 10,000 ft is (sounds like more than 3 kilometres though). Isn't the law there to keep your drone within line of sight? Please don't think I am having a go, but, it is these uses that are driving governments to try imposing severe restrictions on users (the international Big Brother mentality). Following FAA guidelines will serve you best, especially in city/ near urban environments.

Well since you seem to SOUND LIKE you know everything can you please point out what page in the manual the new "Trace your Path " RTH option is on....
Page 15 (under "Failsafe RTH") says "...The aircraft will plan its return route and retrace its original flight route home. ". It says the Forward Vision System must be turned on for it to "create a real time map of its flight route" (and therefore retrace its route home). Hope that helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z