I don't understand my drone flyaway?

Very happy you found it. Pretty close to my projected point. Fly on! (but more carefully...)

Good lesson for all, 1.Cold weather flying 2. Flying out of sight 3. Wind 4. Low battery 1+2+3+4= Lost Drone!
The biggest problem was flying away downwind in a strong wind. That is a serious no-no.
The 2nd was going very high and staying up there where the wind was even stronger.
If you want to bring your drone home ALWAYS fly away upwind when the wind is strong.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: D'sAdvanced
Glad you found it jordancl11, What I did like about reading this post is that you wanted to know the reason you lost it and did not blame the craft. This shows your willingness to learn by your mistakes and by sharing them you help other pilots understand the do's and don't. It's always nice to see fellow pilots helping others in time of need without over criticising the actions, and just tell you up front what not to do in the future and explain good practice. Fly safe fly far and try to keep under 400.:)

Sure, I have put a big white spot.
1871bb380b4a252af91e755e98ce11f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using PhantomPilots mobile app
Cheers!

While reading this thread, looking at the data, I was thinking the entire time, "that bird is gone forever" so I was pleasantly surprised when I read you found it, Nice!

While reading this thread, looking at the data, I was thinking the entire time, "that bird is gone forever" so I was pleasantly surprised when I read you found it, Nice!

Yeah and to think it dropped from 343ft and he said it suffered no damage. Mr. Lucky right there boyz...

Minnesota snow is very forgiving....

In that case those that fly in snow covered regions need to know that coming in contact with snow can be hard on the motors. The heat in the motors melt the snow. Same with battery heat.

In this situation where has aircraft sat in the snow for a period of time, it's possible for the melted snow to freeze once again seizing the motor. Then if you attempt to physically rotate the motors while frozen it could damage the winding with in the motor.

In that case those that fly in snow covered regions need to know that coming in contact with snow can be hard on the motors. The heat in the motors melt the snow. Same with battery heat.

In this situation where has aircraft sat in the snow for a period of time, it's possible for the melted snow to freeze once again seizing the motor. Then if you attempt to physically rotate the motors while frozen it could damage the winding with in the motor.
I let it worm up and dry out about half a day even though it looked real dry.

Glad you found it jordancl11, What I did like about reading this post is that you wanted to know the reason you lost it and did not blame the craft. This shows your willingness to learn by your mistakes and by sharing them you help other pilots understand the do's and don't. It's always nice to see fellow pilots helping others in time of need without over criticising the actions, and just tell you up front what not to do in the future and explain good practice. Fly safe fly far and try to keep under 400.:)
I knew I was to blame for this error. yes I have learnt from this experiance and I hope other people can learn from this to.

Reactions: Schnoidz and Erised
Glad it's safe... make it swear it'll never fly that high up and flog it with wet gloves...

I let it worm up and dry out about half a day even though it looked real dry.

Did the aircraft land normally, upright, or did it drop from the sky?

In your data file the main issue was the Volt Percentage went to "0" which lasted around 2 seconds and there was no more data indicating it shut off. The other thing is, the a/c (aircraft) was already into a force landing situation. The reason the a/c used up the battery so quick was due to strong wind. While descending and trying to maintain it's spot in the sky, it had a flight pitch of -29.8 and that is a lot. If I had the DAT flight log file I could see what kind of demand the motors had on each of them.

Btw, a couple of years ago I use to like to see how high up I could get my stock P2V. I live in the suburb's where most would say I lived in the country. And one night I flew upto 4400ft which was the limit, and on the way down around 3500ft I made the mistake of rotating the a/c 180 degrees putting the main antenna on the opposite side of the a/c. The signal was completely gone. I knew there was nothing I could do at that point but prepare for the worse. The battery expired and the a/c began dropping. Even though the battery displayed "0", every 4 seconds it would start up and spin up the motors to max rpm and shut off again. It repeated this process all the way to the ground. In seeing this take place, it was obvious they did this to upright the a/c and also slow down the descend rate.

Reactions: Schnoidz
Yeah and to think it dropped from 343ft and he said it suffered no damage. Mr. Lucky right there boyz...
It was returning to home and the app cut out with 3000 feet to go so what happened after that wasn't recorded but it would be normal for the Phantom to continue until critical low battery level and autoland at that point.

All this discussion, and I stopped at reading just a little bit . " was flying in ATTI Mode Far Away" "my phone battery was dead" "my aircraft battery was almost dead". Sorry this happened but WTF all these expert opinions when it is obvious. Then to top it off, "Oh yeah that was a different flight, I was in GPS Mode. Seriously
??????????

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT