I crashed:( and now have problem ith gimble, help apreciated.

Think i'll get a bit more practice in first before sending it out of sight! lol

Congrat, glad Apple Store come thru for you

As for open space and being new at this hobby, my advice is let height be your friend! It might sound scary or weird to newbie. But quad will seem a lot slower and you will also have more time to react if something unexpected happen when you are up high.

When is the last time you encounter a tree at 200ft? :) So found some open space, let it hover above 200ft and get to know you quad!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Please fellas, can we stop the arguing. Lets just move on from this but please, no more of the bickering. It's happening far to often lately so all the staff have been instructed to get tougher on it. We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate discourtesy or disrespect.

Not arguing, but my experience has been the same as the OP. I've had broken iPhone's that were my fault. They've replaced for a small fee or free on many occasions.

That's why apple is awesome. If they were based in China, it would be much harder.

I'm willing to be that Apple required DJI to agree to loose return policies for the new people buying these everyday. Apple makes all their vendors agree to liberal methodologies similar to their own regardless of the cost or product.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not arguing, but my experience has been the same as the OP. I've had broken iPhone's that were my fault. They've replaced for a small fee or free on many occasions.

That's why apple is awesome. If they were based in China, it would be much harder.

I'm willing to be that Apple required DJI to agree to loose return policies for the new people buying these everyday. Apple makes all their vendors agree to liberal methodologies similar to their own regardless of the cost or product.

Agreed.
Apple is King in my book.
Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 12.22.12 AM☀️ copy 2.png

come on we all just need a group huggggggggggggggg:):):)

Bummer man... I haven't been on this forum very long, but this seems to be the kind of "help" you can expect around here. From what I've seen it is mostly high post count folks either complaining about the legalities of how you are flying, or making unhelpful and derogatory comments.
Unfortunately since it was a crash and sounds like not caused by an equipment failure, I doubt DJI will repair for free (nor does it sound like you expect them to). I'm not sure where you are located, but there are some "drone repair" services around the US (along with a few local hobby shops) that will repair at a nominal cost. A buddy of mine used a local hobby shop and was happy with the outcome... not to mention it was much faster than sending to DJI. I have no affiliation, but came across this with a quick google search
Phantom Repair Service – Dronefly

Good luck with the repair
I could not agree more with you more about comments. And when you disagree with one of the posters you mentioned, they want to "pig pile" on you and invoke the wrath of their knowledge. If someone that has a bunch of YouTube videos like Casey, it is great to see him fly over crowds, beaches, houses and he is awesome. Someone else does it and they are going to hear from the FAA, and not responsible. I like your points.

Reactions: flpholt
I
Some people on this forum would have you think you can't learn to fly on a P4 and need to practise on something cheaper/simpler. Couldn't disagree more. If you do your homework, don't rush in and spend plenty of time in wide open spaces practising your flying, then the P4 is a great place to start. Get DJI Care for six months peace of mind (it covers pilot error) if you think it appropriate. Flying Phantoms isn't some kind of voodoo magic. You start slow, practice, learn, RTFM, progress. To be told you're in over your head is ridiculous. Unfortunate you had a prang and might have damaged your aircraft but it will soon be fixed and you'll be in the air again.

totally agree, my first and only bird was my P3A and I had a quick orientation with the drone shop and then I was in the deep end. Since then I have done over 100 flights. I had a horrendous sunset 4 km flyaway which with 10% battery, managed to recovery her safely (was panicking like a mad). I follow a preflight routine before every flight and to date I have not experienced any other issue and also have had no cracks or mechanical failure.

So send it in, get it fixed and then baby steps

So glad to hear about your successful return with Apple. It is devastating to crash your bird. I cut my teeth for three months on a Hubsan X4. They are very difficult to fly, but it was good to gain experience with the controls. Because you already have a Phantom, just take it to an open area and methodically put it through its paces. For me, half the battle was a left/right confusion that I've fought all my life. I still occasionally hit the right stick instead of the left for an instant, even after 250 flights.

Thanks for the constructive post, something constructive for you, buy a dictionary and learn how to spell! Its Waste!
Whether you like the spelling or not, the post was constructive. I destroyed a couple of small and inexpensive Hubsan drones before I bought my Phantom.
I haven't had a crash yet.

same as I did bought cheaper ones learned about them after that got my birds

just like sports you start out in minor leagues' before you go onto more advanced play same with drones if you like to start out with more expensive one then go for it but you might just crash that one so be ready to spend more money to fix them

Fcat ,sorry for your phantom,it can hapen to everyone even he is the best pilot...I 'm wondering why the avoidance system didn't work to avoid the tree...

they did say it doesn't pickup small branches as time goes on so will the avoidance system get better

I'm going to give you the best advice ever.

Use the button to the right of the space bar or if you are using an iPhone, hit "123" button and then the button just to the upper left of the keyboard.

Drone insurance is only good in a couple of ways. The 399 DJI care is I guess piece of mind but you are already putting yourself at $400 worth of repairs and if you lose it, not sure they will send you another. I think you need to give them something and a lot of crashes to have a returned bird.

The best thing you can do is get an addendum to your renter or home owner insurance (or get some, it's like 200 a year and covers floods and if your TV gets an electric blow out) but usually has a deductible of 250 or 500 but you can get addendums and pay like $50 a year to cover a single item with no deductible and if you can do it, and that's a big "if" because a lot of insurance companies are not wanting to do this anymore (I.e. I did it on one of my P4s and they wouldn't let me by the time I got my second). But on one of them and really it doesn't matter which because they don't take serials and stuff like DJI care. They just need like a picture or a written description.

THATS the way to get insurance for a drone. DJI care is a fair idea but the MAJORITY of places that sell only drone insurance, avoid like the plague. They are known to be fraudulent, half the time not even having underwriting which is what makes insurance work. If they have to pay out with their own money, they won't last or won't pay out.

Do the research. There is one or two places that are only drone related that are good but that's if you own a fleet or a 10k drone.

Just learn how to fly, I agree a toy drone like the Syma ones are a great way to learn. It's great that these wonderful, better than us people are here to tell you how crappy it is to make poor old Apple or poor DJI pay, yet they have no problem making you feel even crappier after crashing your bird.

You do the math.
I don't get the keyboard thing? What am I missing guy?
On a side note, I have homeowners but not with State Farm, they do all our cars and trucks, trailers and expensive toys. I have a zero deductible and my P4 is covered much better then DJI, and it's a whole $5 a month added on to my monthly car/RZR/jeep/trailer insurance. Stolen? Into the drink? Ran over? Forget it from DJI, but not with a personal asset risk policy.

I would rather just pay the $60 and have it covered, but this is better, by the way though, they did want my serial number, I took a picture of the box info and sent that, along with my FAA number, and a screen shot showing I had at the time like 7.5hrs on my P3 to show capability, or situational awareness lol

Reactions: AVIWRAPS
flpholt does have an interesting point. Use the extra $$ and buy the DJI care package, Then wait about a week or so and then send it in. It might just turn out to be less than the repair would be with out it.
I doubt that would work since the "crash" is recorded on the aircraft INCLUDING THE DATE. But they may just let it slide if it's something minor. Nowadays it seems like the "fix" means replace instead of trying to fix whatever it is that may just need and adjustment. I wonder what percentage of folks purchase that insurance? It's rather expensive and I would read the fine print to see if it covers flying with a 3rd party app or exceeding the limits of the flight rules from the FAA or other controlling body. Like with cell phone plans that offer "unlimited" downloading that is really not unlimited.

**** Happens... It sucks but you learn. I ride Street Bikes and the saying goes "There are those who have fallen and those who haven't fallen yet"

Apple will take it back no questions as long as you are within the 14 day period. I bought the DJI INS cuz i crashed mine. I have some video feed glitches so i fly in sight. but i'll wait a few weeks and send it in. So get it fixed and get it back in the air. Also this P4 aka"P$" is so easy to operate unlike a few others i own.

Whats the learning curve on a P4? @ flpholt.. my 8 year old can fly it. This isn't a stunt drone. Its for Video/photography. My stunt drone does require a lot of practice.(and spare parts)

To the people who write or think of writing derogative posts .....Karma's a *****. Were were to help one another. Negativity is not needed.

I don't get the keyboard thing? What am I missing guy?
On a side note, I have homeowners but not with State Farm, they do all our cars and trucks, trailers and expensive toys. I have a zero deductible and my P4 is covered much better then DJI, and it's a whole $5 a month added on to my monthly car/RZR/jeep/trailer insurance. Stolen? Into the drink? Ran over? Forget it from DJI, but not with a personal asset risk policy.

I would rather just pay the $60 and have it covered, but this is better, by the way though, they did want my serial number, I took a picture of the box info and sent that, along with my FAA number, and a screen shot showing I had at the time like 7.5hrs on my P3 to show capability, or situational awareness lol

Good Idea i need to check in to my homeowners INS...

Reactions: Sim597
**** Happens... It sucks but you learn. I ride Street Bikes and the saying goes "There are those who have fallen and those who haven't fallen yet"

Apple will take it back no questions as long as you are within the 14 day period. I bought the DJI INS cuz i crashed mine. I have some video feed glitches so i fly in sight. but i'll wait a few weeks and send it in. So get it fixed and get it back in the air. Also this P4 aka"P$" is so easy to operate unlike a few others i own.

Whats the learning curve on a P4? @ flpholt.. my 8 year old can fly it. This isn't a stunt drone. Its for Video/photography. My stunt drone does require a lot of practice.(and spare parts)

To the people who write or think of writing derogative posts .....Karma's a *****. Were were to help one another. Negativity is not needed.
well stick it in sport mode then let the 8 year old drive it around if it doesn't have a learning curve they shouldn't crash then right ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart