How to Update Tx-Power with Magic Power v5.0

Main point I was trying to make in my above post. Was that everyone in CE mode is thinking that this program increases their Wi-Fi signal from 16 up to an FCC of 20. But by looking at post #369 you will see the image to the right states that CE mode is already at 20 and FCC is actually 27. Now we're talking Wi-Fi signal here not the RC control signal.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Tend to agree. I stripped my configuration back to stock and on boot up, the RC and AC starts out at 17dBm and my country registration shows as GB (iw reg get). Once the AC GPS locks in and you start the DJI Go App, the country designation changes to US and the TX power jumps to 27dBm on the RC and AC. So, for FCC do you even need to mod? Making any changes to the rcS file makes no difference it always jumps to 27dBm. I can see how the mod would be useful in you are in a CE country but if you are in the US, you are maxed out. I am reading this right?

2016-10-07 10_19_46-192.168.1.1 - Tera Term VT.png 2016-10-07 10_21_50-192.168.1.1 - Tera Term VT.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaTita
it's not so simple. In the main page of DJI website concerning phantom 3 standard you don't see the same information -> Phantom 3 Standard - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI

CE 16dbm and FCC 20dbm

With a real wifi range of +/-500m CE mode, i have no doubt to think 2.4ghz CE mode is really a poor 16dbm ^^
No that's not right. Look at post #369, both screen images (left and right) have CE at 20dbm (100mw). Everyone's got this wrong I think when it comes to the Standard's wifi at 2.4MHz. It's the 5.8MHz that's at 16dbm, not the wifi signal. Even look at the link you posted above, look down the page to the Live View area. It says it's at 100mw, that's 20dbm. Now if you want that at the FCC level you have to go with 27dbm.

Last edited:
Tend to agree. I stripped my configuration back to stock and on boot up, the RC and AC starts out at 17dBm and my country registration shows as GB (iw reg get). Once the AC GPS locks in and you start the DJI Go App, the country designation changes to US and the TX power jumps to 27dBm on the RC and AC. So, for FCC do you even need to mod? Making any changes to the rcS file makes no difference it always jumps to 27dBm. I can see how the mod would be useful in you are in a CE country but if you are in the US, you are maxed out. I am reading this right?

View attachment 66635 View attachment 66636
Hey Vadar, can I ask what firmware you are on? And can anyone else from us confirm that on stock configuration after gps lock the rc and ac jump to 27dbm.

Sent from my Letv X500 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey Vadar, can I ask what firmware you are on? And can anyone else from us confirm that on stock configuration after gps lock the rc and ac jump to 27dbm.

When using the Icarus app (same thing as this Magic Power) the other day this is what happened. The RC @ 23dbm and AC @ 26dbm. Set them just before the flight. Now here's the odd part. I rechecked the dbm setting after landing before powering down. Both the RC and AC were at 27dbm (I live in US). Not where it started at the beginning of the flight, and not back to 20 dbm either.

I email the company that made the app and here's what they said. "due to a bug we are just fixing now, the DJI firmware can in given circumstances reset the 2.4GHz power to its desired value. The Icarus app sets the txpower after boot and rely on the patch. So if your set values change during flight it's due to the DJI.
This means also that 27 dBm is the DJI set value for FCC, setting anything under that is actually downgrading the device.
We will keep you informed as soon as the fix will be released." Word for word what they said.

When using the Icarus app (same thing as this Magic Power) the other day this is what happened. The RC @ 23dbm and AC @ 26dbm. Set them just before the flight. Now here's the odd part. I rechecked the dbm setting after landing before powering down. Both the RC and AC were at 27dbm (I live in US). Not where it started at the beginning of the flight, and not back to 20 dbm either.

I email the company that made the app and here's what they said. "due to a bug we are just fixing now, the DJI firmware can in given circumstances reset the 2.4GHz power to its desired value. The Icarus app sets the txpower after boot and rely on the patch. So if your set values change during flight it's due to the DJI.
This means also that 27 dBm is the DJI set value for FCC, setting anything under that is actually downgrading the device.
We will keep you informed as soon as the fix will be released." Word for word what they said.
Ok I am running the magic power mod, but I didn't want to boost it up to 27dbm because there have been other people on these forums saying that 27dbm will burn the wifi module out, but if 27dbm is the default value for US I don't see an issue.

I just rolled back my firmware, rolled back the app and applied 24dbm and where i used to get video loss on 1.6.8 and 3.0.0 it was smooth video! I recommend it to everyone, I could get 60-80m in this spot, yesterday got 270m!!!

Ok I am running the magic power mod, but I didn't want to boost it up to 27dbm because there have been other people on these forums saying that 27dbm will burn the wifi module out, but if 27dbm is the default value for US I don't see an issue.

Same here. Everyone kept saying CE=16 and FCC=20, so if you're in a CE area and mod to 24 is better for you. but if you're in a FCC area you just downgraded your drone. Thinking you got a increase. People are confusing the RC's 5.8MHz vs the 2.4MHz wifi, thinking there both the same power output.

Reactions: sinxa
Ok thanks for the replies guys, I think I might just try 27dbm and see how that goes, I was worried about damaging the wifi module, but if the default value for US is 27dbm it should be fine.

Quick question guys, how's this mod with 1.6.8 firmware? With the DJI Go app glitching on 1.5.7+ firmware I'm hoping to fix that by upgrading to 1.6.8 and then fix my range with this mod.

I just registed to say THANK YOU!
THank you PapaTita and OjczeNasz.
My P3S was useless. Had the fw 1.6.8, could't fly my P3S more then 30m without loosing the signal (CE - Europe)
Considered to sell it and to give up on drones.. After checking Ojcze Nasz and your work downgraded fw and used your software.

Today I tested it! Had a 300m attitude and 400m distance, which for me is Awesome!
Thank you guys! You saved the year :D

Edit: for anyone wondering what settings I was using from the program, I just used the recommended without changing anything

Reactions: PapaTita and sinxa
Hi guys, sorry I missed the last 20 pages here because I was still in the forum "range mod let's do it together" Could someone be so kind to summarize the current status in this forum?
-what program should I use now?
-what is the recommended firmware?
-what are the recommended configurations in the program? I have a phantom 3 Std.
Thanks a lot guys!!!!! I know this is an annoying question...sorry...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Vedders
I have a new version with the name Magic Power v4.0.
The big differences from version 3.x is patch in RC and Drone will be active in case of missing signal from RC (boosting to 27 dBm), by this way both RC and Drone no need too high Tx-Power (Default 20 dBm).

Other features:

Change Channel via telnet / mobile:
watchlog.sh -ch nn [save] ##nn number of channel [1-13]
watchlog.sh -ch 15 ##activate scan channel
watchlog.sh -ch 0 ##default mode/disabled scan channel
watchlog.sh -ch 13 save ##activate permanent channel 13
Change Tx-Power via telnet / mobile:
watchlog.sh -dbm nn00 ##nn tx-power number, eq: 1700 for 17 dBm
watchlog.sh -dbm 2000 ##set tx-power to 20 dBm
watchlog.sh -dbm 2700 ##set tx-power to 27 dBm
Download: https://support.google.com/drive/an...visit_id=0-636694477321290966-1197937005&rd=1

For detail please follow the instructions in this video:

Hi PapTita I used your mod thankyou!

I used Ver 3.8. Can I use telnet to change channels and dbm or that for Magic ver 4.0 only?
Thanks

Hi guys, sorry I missed the last 20 pages here because I was still in the forum "range mod let's do it together" Could someone be so kind to summarize the current status in this forum?
-what program should I use now?
-what is the recommended firmware?
-what are the recommended configurations in the program? I have a phantom 3 Std.
Thanks a lot guys!!!!! I know this is an annoying question...sorry...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

*) wifi connected device
*) telnet client
*) firmware 1.5.7
*) turnoff some network restriction or antivirus for i while, i guess...

The only thing that I have tried this mode "Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together"

Ouch.... sorry to hear that....
for my self, even i've been a software programmer once upon a time, but i don't have enough guts to try this mod manualy.
Thank's to papatita's work, it did a very big help for us. . .

never had in my thought that this mod could affect the gimbal in any way....

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor