How many people went straight to DJI instead of smaller drones first?

I'm curious after reading posts here how many people went from no quad experience to a DJI?

I see threads where if the pilot had a clue how to fly it never would have happened (no offense intended!)
I've had probably 10 different small quads that actually require you to know how to fly it before doing anything, where the DJI you can be 1500 ft up and 9000ft away within 2 minutes of unboxing with little to no experience or even knowledge of how a quad flies.

I guess what I'm getting at is I think it's hugely important to know how to fly before flying a 1000 dollar drone that almost flies itself, because when something goes wrong you need to know how to handle it.
So many people can't even take off or land without the app, it's crazy to me!

I bought my P3P last October after seeing the Burghard brothers fly one on a 12-day dive trip in Indonesia, and the production they made from our trip:

I'd never been a gamer, so I had a steep learning curve to learn to handle two joysticks. I read the manual thoroughly and a lot of other info online including about NFZ's. I kept my early flights low and slow, learning as I went. Eventually I got to the point where I reached a standing agreement with nearby Addison Airport tower where I have two defined areas where I can fly without notification; one near my house and another in a nearby greenbelt, and that one gives me an area about 0.1 x 0.5 miles and up to 200 ft AGL to learn in; I consider that a decent area to learn the controls.

In other words, I did it right, took it slow, learned the rules, registered during the free period with the FAA, and lots more.

Since then I've bought a P4, and in early January I bought a P3S for a long-time friend, who published this video within two weeks, and yes, that's the younger guy in the video close-ups.

See, I have lots of free time, but not a lot of time to waste, so I started with a P3P. Sorta like when I inherited about $570k at age 67, I bought the first-ordered GT-R from a local dealer, and then this three years minus 5 days ago:

Old farts like me don't have a lot of time to waste, learning with cheapos. To paraphrase Cyndi Lauper, "Old guys just wanna have fun".

BTW, the money I inherited? I've spent about half of it supporting musical artists and other friends who've given me a lot of fun over many years. Now THAT's fun!

I'm curious after reading posts here how many people went from no quad experience to a DJI?

I see threads where if the pilot had a clue how to fly it never would have happened (no offense intended!)
I've had probably 10 different small quads that actually require you to know how to fly it before doing anything, where the DJI you can be 1500 ft up and 9000ft away within 2 minutes of unboxing with little to no experience or even knowledge of how a quad flies.

I guess what I'm getting at is I think it's hugely important to know how to fly before flying a 1000 dollar drone that almost flies itself, because when something goes wrong you need to know how to handle it.

My wife bought me a P3S for Christmas. I was flying it within 24 hours. I'm very good at starting slow and working up to my aircraft's full potential. Never had a problem.

As we

P3A was my first quad. I've had it for several months and have crashed it 6-8 times, once into the water for a minute or two. Always managed to repair it and it flies fine after 80 or so flights. So, I learned to fly with the P3A. I spent time with the simulator then tried to be careful, not always successful, but did my homework.

FWIW I usually fly with prop guards. They don't always keep it out of the trees but when it crashes the prop guards seem to take most of the punishment, are repairable (superglue) and cheap to replace.
I have made it a point to experiment with atti mode, bring it home with out gps, etc. (the cause of some of the accidents). Also have practiced flying it without the go app. All of this has helped to hone the skills.

I started with the DJI Phantom 3 Standard.

I bought a Blade 180 QX HD on a whim after seeing the owner of the hobby shop I was in demo'ing for another customer. I was hooked right there and then. The other customer opted out - and I opted IN - mere seconds after he said "No".

My first, second, and third quads were all DJI. Only birds I have flown were DJI Phantoms.

The first was the Phantom (original) with a GoPro slung under it. Trust me, it was no easy task to fly. I also learned my repair techniques from that machine. Changed the cases several times, new compass, etc.

The second was a Vision, with it's own camera. A definite improvement, although I missed the sound (GoPro does sound).

Now I also have the Phantom 3 Pro. Each upgrade improved my flying capabilities and the P3P has only "sort of" crashed once. No damage.

I bought a Blade 180 QX HD on a whim after seeing the owner of the hobby shop I was in demo'ing for another customer. I was hooked right there and then. The other customer opted out - and I opted IN - mere seconds after he said "No".

Tommy- the Blade 180 QX HD is a fun, yet strong and sturdy drone to fly! As I mentioned before, I bought one after enjoying it's little brother- the Nano QX... My only complaint on the 180 QX HD is the landing skids. The leg snaps very easily on anything harder than a soft landing! I've just resorted to removing them and rigging the eFlite camera on without the landing gear...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My first is my P3P. Used to fly gas powered rc choppers. I think 15 years using Microsoft FlightSimulator helped a lot with hand/eye corodination. That's my 2nd passion!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Mine was a 50 dollar striker as a stocking stuffer for Christmas.It was extremely hard to fly and gave me the knowledge i needed when i upgraded to my P3P.If you can fly a cheap one the Phantom is a piece of cake.

Reactions: jeremiah212
I ordered a small drone to practice like they suggested, but the Phantom3 came first. But I watched a lot of the training videos before it arrived.

I bought a Dromida Vista without the FPV to learn on...Man that thing can take a beating lol.... Had so much fun with it, I decided to get my P3A

I did buy a small quad first, a Traxxas Alias. So hard to keep in the air, no steady control of elevation, small push on stick and up 20 feet, try to come down and bounce off the ground. After maybe 3 weeks I bought a used P2V+ with no camera, could not believe how much control it had. Stable, maneuverable, and predictable. Still can't fly my Alias when I try to, have given up and will sell it I think.

I started out with a Blade CX2. Moved to an Align TRex 450 and then to an Align TRex 600. As much fun as those are, they are harder to fly and is easily a $150+ if crashed. IMO they are not as much fun as a Phantom 3. Being able to fly mostly worry free is really a relief.

The Syma X5SW is pretty bombproof as you can drop it from 30 feet and it will still fly.

Anyone else first had a Syma X5C or X5SW?

Yep, I bought a Syma X8W and had it for a week before buying the P3A
The Syma was crap in a slight breeze so I got annoyed with it and bought the Phantom
The Syma is still fun to thrash around though

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl